iPhone and Android do ONE thing and only one thing better than the berry...internet.

The internet experience on the blackberry is...well...disappointing at best, infuriating at worst.

That said, I've yet to find a vitrual keyboard (I've tried the iPhone, Moto Droid X, and HTC Incred 2) that I can type with any real accuracy with...

iPhone and Android both do games, and kids colouring apps way better than Blackberry products too
    07-18-11 08:45 PM
    I can appreciate that you've found all you need in the T-bolt. But have you read any of the hands-on reviews if the new
    BB's? How can you say they're just more of the same, especially where the browser is concerned? If the form factor doesn't work for you, that's one thing. But the reason there's been such a delay in getting these things out is because they are leaps and bounds better than what they are replacing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    And what in my previous message gave the impression it has given me all i need? I clearly stated i love and am keeping my beloved 9650. I just have (after reading and watching an extensive 18 minute video) ascertained that these new BB's coming out are NOT a far enough leap forward for me to abandon my 9650. So obviously the form factor works for me, and it was the British fellow reviewing the 9900 that said it has essentially the same keyboard as the Bold 9000. That my friend IS not a step ahead. And yes i realize how remarkable that keyboard was. But is is what it is, a few years old technology.

My T-Bolt is great at what it does, and i have not found it to be as horrid as some here are making it out to be. My main phone is and will remain my 9650.
    Until RIM comes out with what I feel is a leap far enough ahead.

So please don't try to paint me as an android fanboy, ok? Thank you
    07-18-11 09:39 PM
    My reasons for the Berry are fairly simple.

A) It's an excellent "phone" that can take a serious beating..

B) Battery life is frankly far superior to other devices.

C) Email is simply more stable on a RIM device.

D) BB Keyboard smokes ANYTHING out there no problem.

Now, for the not so good:

The BB browser, in my view, is the absolute "gutter" of the smart phones out there....
    ...With the iphone being right behind it.

Next to worthless APPS.

The Andriods being able to play about anything thrown at them....
    ...This is what caused iphone to loose it's market share.
    07-18-11 09:48 PM
    iPhone and Android both do games, and kids colouring apps way better than Blackberry products too
    ^this so much. Toy Story coloring game, Angry Birds..my 3 yr old son LOVES angry birds. I almost want to get a tablet so he can play Angry Birds on it as anytime we go into Best Buy he sits there being quiet the entire time, except for when he laughs hysterically for blowing things up.

I no longer have that kid who doesn't stop crying, thanks to a kickstand+YouTube+Phineas and Ferb.

I can type on my Evo4g just as fast as I did on my Bold 9650, if not faster. I can type very well on the HTC keyboard or the AndroidOS keyboard.

It does come down to personal preference. Wife has an Evo4g now. I can no longer use my phone at work, so I don't need one to waste hours on killing time. So the new bold that does email/sms in a more fluid motion will be more beneficial to me, not to mention call quality.
    07-18-11 10:09 PM
    I showed a friend of mine who is a big iPhone 4 lover and supporter the video of the new 9900 and his response to me was "how is this better than the iPhone?". My answer was that I don't think that it will be better and I don't assume it to be, I just feel like the 9900 will satisfy my mobile needs and work best for me. I really value the BB notification system, keyboard, email, battery life, security and size. I am not someone who plays games or watches a lot of video etc. I would like to have a few more apps and a front facing camera but I would rather have less apps and the 9900 form factor than the iPhone. I like the iPhone and if BB went away tomorrow it is what I would choose over Android. However, for now I will continue to ride the RIM wave and buy the new 9930 the day it comes out.

Tell me why you are going to buy this phone...are you going to use it along with another device at the same time or will it be your primary device?
    I've been a big fan of Apple products since the days of classic OS 7. That said, what I like about my blackberry curve 8330 is that while I am riding the bike at the gym (or just standing in line somewhere like at the grocery store), I can browse the web, copy text, and email myself articles to read later all with one hand. I've noticed others at the gym with touch screens using two hands and that just seems cumbersome to me.

Using one hand to use most of my blackberry's features I use is simply a big plus for me.

I'm looking forward to ditching this old curve and getting this 9930 which should be a noticeable improvement over what I have now (not that I don't like my curve, I think it's a solid phone for what it does and up to this point in time, it has served me well).

If there is one thing I hope for in this new phone, I hope it has much better browsing than my curve.
    07-18-11 10:41 PM
    The Andriods being able to play about anything thrown at them....
    ...This is what caused iphone to loose it's market share.
    I would have thought that it had to do with Android being on multiple phones and these multiple phones being sold by multiple carriers.
    07-18-11 10:45 PM
    I would have thought that it had to do with Android being on multiple phones and these multiple phones being sold by multiple carriers.
    The reason is because of what the actual platform can do - contrasted with what the iphone and BB can't.
    ...Every carrier who started selling Driods has been screaming for them ever since.
    ...Driod simply observed a massive hole in the iphone and BB armor and took advantage of it.

From my experience a BB can go to any website an iphone can go to yet pukes on most of them....
    ...A Driod can go to any website the aforementioned can go and EVERY website they can't.

Being a slave to itunes offends as many as it turns on and according to what one can read about the issue....
    ....Driod has now sold as many phones ( if not more ) then Apple.
    ...And this trend will continue as sure as night follows the day.

BB has essentially ZERO APPS compared to Apple and Driod and have yet to produce....
    ...The bread and butter types that actually sold phones for that alone.
    ...I know of several people who bought smart phones "that could deposit their check".
    ...By simply taking a picture of it - for that reason alone simply to save time.

The BB market is a joke at this time - I mean it's a full blown laughing stock...
    ...And I say this as a die hard BB user.
    07-18-11 11:12 PM
    And what in my previous message gave the impression it has given me all i need? I clearly stated i love and am keeping my beloved 9650. I just have (after reading and watching an extensive 18 minute video) ascertained that these new BB's coming out are NOT a far enough leap forward for me to abandon my 9650. So obviously the form factor works for me, and it was the British fellow reviewing the 9900 that said it has essentially the same keyboard as the Bold 9000. That my friend IS not a step ahead. And yes i realize how remarkable that keyboard was. But is is what it is, a few years old technology.

My T-Bolt is great at what it does, and i have not found it to be as horrid as some here are making it out to be. My main phone is and will remain my 9650.

Wow sometimes if it ain't broke don't fix it. So you'd rather have them put some new style keyboard on that is a piece of crap then the most beloved keyboard? OK
    brewkelyn likes this.
    07-19-11 08:01 AM
    The reason is because of what the actual platform can do - contrasted with what the iphone and BB can't.
    ...Every carrier who started selling Driods has been screaming for them ever since.
    ...Driod simply observed a massive hole in the iphone and BB armor and took advantage of it.

From my experience a BB can go to any website an iphone can go to yet pukes on most of them....
    ...A Driod can go to any website the aforementioned can go and EVERY website they can't.

Being a slave to itunes offends as many as it turns on and according to what one can read about the issue....
    ....Driod has now sold as many phones ( if not more ) then Apple.
    ...And this trend will continue as sure as night follows the day.

BB has essentially ZERO APPS compared to Apple and Driod and have yet to produce....
    ...The bread and butter types that actually sold phones for that alone.
    ...I know of several people who bought smart phones "that could deposit their check".
    ...By simply taking a picture of it - for that reason alone simply to save time.

The BB market is a joke at this time - I mean it's a full blown laughing stock...
    ...And I say this as a die hard BB user.
    It's DROID

About the web browser: I've found that a lot of Flash sites don't run very well on smartphones and I've had quite a few of them (5 Verizon Droid phones, to be exact). My last one was several months ago, so maybe Flash functions a little better now.

About iTunes: iOS 5 is going to remedy this situation when it is released in the fall. Users will no longer need to connect their phone to iTunes to activate, update, or sync their phones.

About apps: You're definitely right on that one. Android and Apple are WAY ahead on the number of apps available and I really don't see that gap closing any time soon.
    07-19-11 08:34 AM

Ok, then just a malcontent. Read the title of he thread.

07-19-11 09:27 AM
    Im blackberry through and through...ive had BB's for the past 2 and a half yrs..started off with the best BB of them all the 9000, i now have the 9780 which is tiding me over till the 9900 is out.

Ive had various android handsets and they all bored the holy **** out of me after the honeymoon period was finished...other than the hardware specs, the OS itself doesnt interest me...its far too fragmented although Google say they are going to fix that...i loathe typing on a touchscreen no matter how good it is...id rather have some sort of feel a la BB keyboards.

I also have an iphone4 and i prefer that over the Androids ive had in the past...i use it for apps, mp3s and videos and to keep in touch with my non bb friends through whatsapp.

But at the end of the day its always my BB that keeps my attention longer than any other device.
    raiderfan#CB likes this.
    07-19-11 09:51 AM
    It's DROID

About the web browser: I've found that a lot of Flash sites don't run very well on smartphones and I've had quite a few of them (5 Verizon Droid phones, to be exact). My last one was several months ago, so maybe Flash functions a little better now.

About iTunes: iOS 5 is going to remedy this situation when it is released in the fall. Users will no longer need to connect their phone to iTunes to activate, update, or sync their phones.

About apps: You're definitely right on that one. Android and Apple are WAY ahead on the number of apps available and I really don't see that gap closing any time soon.
    on flash sites, there have been a few updates to flash player for android.

i can stream games from own3d.tv and stuff on my evo4g
    07-19-11 11:32 AM
    I really want this phone but I just got my bold 9780 in March and I don't feel like paying Rogers $25 per month to get this phone before my three years is up.
    07-19-11 03:12 PM
    It's DROID

For a short time I ran an HTC EVO via Sprint and that phone was able to fully reconcile itself....
    ...With the 3 Corportate websites I'm in all the time - it was wicked fast and I could do tasks 'on site'.
    ...Instead of taking the information down and running back to my desktop.
    ...It also screamed with AAX - no issues whatsoever.

The issue I would NOT tollerate was the practical joke battery life...
    ...For a business phone, as delivered, the HTC EVO is worthless because of the battery.
    ...Later on they came out with an extended battery and over-size back plate for the phone.
    ...I've set two of those up since then and the battery issue is now a non-issue.

My fear with the Blackberry Touch is that it will simply get to that website it can't open anyway....
    ...But just much, much faster.

Because battery life,call quality & email is top of my list of phone must have stuff.....
    ...I will certainly get the BB Bold Touch because the BB 9650 I have has served me very well.
    ...And I've always liked Blackberry.
    ...My first Berry was a combo Nextel device with a big spin wheel on the side of it LOL!

Seriously, has anyone repudiated the premise that the OS7 devices can't open ANYTHING the previous 9650 couldn't?
    ...That would be something for a new thread.

With Apple I would believe that when I see it....
    ...The whole Apple experience is not any different then how a cult is run.
    ...And it disgusts me to see the sheeple flock to the iphone.
    ....That said my wife wants one because she has an itunes acct.
    ....I'm gonna get sick.
    07-19-11 04:27 PM
    So in terms of actual work types of things, is there anything that an iPhone or Android does better than BB?

I create documents and otherwise store them on my blackberry. Frequently, I need to email them to others or store them on dropbox. I use filescout, docs-to-go, and dropbox.

Is there something about those other OS's that reveal a benefit with regard to work?

I do like my girlfriend's Fascinate. The file browser is very simple. I would hate to create a document on that damn touchscreen, though.
    07-19-11 05:57 PM
    iPhone and Android do ONE thing and only one thing better than the berry...internet.

The internet experience on the blackberry is...well...disappointing at best, infuriating at worst.

That said, I've yet to find a vitrual keyboard (I've tried the iPhone, Moto Droid X, and HTC Incred 2) that I can type with any real accuracy with...
    I believe you're mistaken here. One thing? That's it? Don't believe so.

Yes obviously the iPhone does all forms of internet better than BlackBerry without a shadow of a doubt. But it does more.

1)The iPhone's camera has a better higher quality lens and takes better pictures.

2) It records HD video

3) It has video chat

4) It has a vast array of quality third party applications of which the absolute best of the best BlackBerry application doesn't come remotely close.

5) It doesn't hang up(spinning clock) like the BlackBerry, it doesn't have low memory problems, and has no need for battery pulls.

Here's a few. Definitely more than just one. People can say all they want that the iPhone is just a toy, but that's a lie. It's much much more. Remembering BlackBerry only fairly recently got threaded text messaging, the iPhone does sms just as well as BlackBerry. All BlackBerry users try to use email as their strong point. I have my accounts set up as exchange and have push for my emails as well. I'm using BES on iOS and it's just as good as my other BB with the same Enterprise functions.

I'm not dogging BlackBerry but there are some common misconceptions about the iPhone that simply aren't true. To be fair I'll say at the absolute very least debatable. It's the same talking points as usual of course so I won't mention them all. There is a reason why RIM must change it's firmware to QNX in order to survive & maintain a healthy business. So let's not act like it's not the case.
    But it's ok. Just think about QNX on HH's. It puts RIM back into the game and will be here before you know it and things will begin to turn around. However you must always respect your competition. Otherwise not only will the sneak up on you & pass you, but you'll feel worse about it. It's ok to acknowledge that the competition is better right now. The key is to remember that it won't always be like this. Things are going to change and most definitely for the better.

When QNX is released, it levels the playing field. The others will have a head start but nothing that is insurmountable. But even then it will come down to preference, same as it does today. My main point is while you may prefer RIM products over Apple products or Android manufacturers , let's not act like they aren't any good and they're not currently in the lead from both a hardware & software viewpoint.
    m23haz and purijagmohan like this.
    07-19-11 06:33 PM
    1. Touch screen keyboards make baby jesus cry.
    2. Phones should have more than double the battery life of my netbook.
    3. As an IT guy, I know that specs mean nothing. Chasing latest-and-greatest higher-MHz/GHz technology doesn't actually mean you're getting the best, and if that's your thing, prepare for disappointment and a new purchase every few months.

I wish a lot of the Android apps were available for Blackberry. But that is absolutely nowhere near a good enough reason for me to switch. I don't need a toy, I need ease of use and reliability. If the battery life of the 9900 is comparable to my 9700, it's a faster, slimmer, sexier version of the best phone available IMO. And that's why I'll get it
    07-19-11 06:40 PM
    Just seen on this site Sprint iPhone 5 Testing to Begin Next Week | West Coast Gadgets that Sprint iphone 5 is starting to be tested today in Los Angeles and other cities. According to the article, Sprint will shortly release the iphone 5 after At&t and Verizon. I would assume late September-early October? If this is true, I will be trying BOTH the Bold 9930 and the iphone 5 before I make my choice.

07-19-11 06:54 PM
    No. I'll buy both. Just like how i have the iPhone 4 and 9780 both in my pocket.

07-19-11 07:50 PM
    I believe you're mistaken here. One thing? That's it? Don't believe so.

Yes obviously the iPhone does all forms of internet better than BlackBerry without a shadow of a doubt. But it does more.

1)The iPhone's camera has a better higher quality lens and takes better pictures.

2) It records HD video

3) It has video chat

4) It has a vast array of quality third party applications of which the absolute best of the best BlackBerry application doesn't come remotely close.

5) It doesn't hang up(spinning clock) like the BlackBerry, it doesn't have low memory problems, and has no need for battery pulls.

Here's a few. Definitely more than just one. People can say all they want that the iPhone is just a toy, but that's a lie. It's much much more. Remembering BlackBerry only fairly recently got threaded text messaging, the iPhone does sms just as well as BlackBerry. All BlackBerry users try to use email as their strong point. I have my accounts set up as exchange and have push for my emails as well. I'm using BES on iOS and it's just as good as my other BB with the same Enterprise functions.

I'm not dogging BlackBerry but there are some common misconceptions about the iPhone that simply aren't true. To be fair I'll say at the absolute very least debatable. It's the same talking points as usual of course so I won't mention them all. There is a reason why RIM must change it's firmware to QNX in order to survive & maintain a healthy business. So let's not act like it's not the case.
    But it's ok. Just think about QNX on HH's. It puts RIM back into the game and will be here before you know it and things will begin to turn around. However you must always respect your competition. Otherwise not only will the sneak up on you & pass you, but you'll feel worse about it. It's ok to acknowledge that the competition is better right now. The key is to remember that it won't always be like this. Things are going to change and most definitely for the better.

When QNX is released, it levels the playing field. The others will have a head start but nothing that is insurmountable. But even then it will come down to preference, same as it does today. My main point is while you may prefer RIM products over Apple products or Android manufacturers , let's not act like they aren't any good and they're not currently in the lead from both a hardware & software viewpoint.
    Great post and you are 100% correct. A lot of my friends have switched to the iPhone and it really is nice. I always say that I would take an iPhone over an Android based phone any day of the week. I've been holding out for the 9930 because I love BlackBerry and I just don't do much on my phone besides communicate and browse. I'm hoping the 9930 satisfies my needs until QNX comes out next year.

This might sound crazy but IMO I think when QNX comes out that Android could be the platform that is in trouble within the next couple of years if RIM really takes QNX to its potential. I say that about Android because of their lack of security.
    07-19-11 08:00 PM
    Jesus Crucial, pick a side! One day you are all about BB and sticking up for the positives because somebody said something negative and then next you are doing the same for iPhones.

And yes, I know you have both...just gets old reading the same posts over and over just slightly rehashed.

I am sure I am in the lone on this one, but man. We get it, you really love your iPhone 4(A little too much) and kinda like BB...

I really used to enjoy your posts, but not so much anymore.

07-19-11 08:59 PM
    Jesus Crucial, pick a side! One day you are all about BB and sticking up for the positives because somebody said something negative and then next you are doing the same for iPhones.

And yes, I know you have both...just gets old reading the same posts over and over just slightly rehashed.

I am sure I am in the lone on this one, but man. We get it, you really love your iPhone 4(A little too much) and kinda like BB...

I really used to enjoy your posts, but not so much anymore.

I don't see what the problem is. Seems to me like he knows a great deal about both platforms and he makes an effort to share facts and also opinion based on his personal experience with BlackBerry and iPhone.
    07-19-11 09:07 PM
    I don't see what the problem is. Seems to me like he knows a great deal about both platforms and he makes an effort to share facts and also opinion based on his personal experience with BlackBerry and iPhone.
    Thank you. I'm much more intimate with the BlackBerry OS and am completely dependent on BlackBerry's being successful. However I won't trash the iPhone, iOS, or Android simply because I love BlackBerry. I am not a fanboy and acknowledge the pro's and shortcomings of all platforms.
    MNotar91 and purijagmohan like this.
    07-19-11 09:25 PM
    I agree he used to. Now it seems like he favors the iPhone 4 quite a bit and is on a much higher pedestal.

Just hear/read enough on it. Don't need someone who knows so much giving us the skinny about what the iPhone does better. We all hear it way to much as is and now a well respected member seems to put the iPhone on a much higher ground.

Like I said, I would be the loner on this one.

07-19-11 09:28 PM
    Just voicing my opinion Crucial....

07-19-11 09:32 PM
173 ... 34567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD