Like others; the keyboard and messaging excellence.

I am sooo excited for the larger 9900 device having a little more space on that keyboard and screen. Woot! Woot!
    07-13-11 06:06 PM
    I can write tales of why I would choose a BlackBerry over any phone anytime, anywhere.
    07-13-11 06:10 PM
    keyboard, data efficiency, security, tight integration with in the OS, notifications, social networking - BBM, facebook, Blackberry bridge, battery life and more importantly it is a Blackberry.
    quellerie, grover5 and Elbojemio like this.
    07-13-11 06:15 PM
    Why 9900 over iP/Droid? What? A BB with everything I've always enjoyed and respected, only much faster...? There is no other choice.

Just give me what I want (my 9900) and I'll go away...
    07-13-11 06:27 PM
    I am going to try them both out (assuming Sprint gets the iphone 5) and I'll know within' a few mintutes which one I'd want...kinda is a shame, if RIM had the Bold 9930 out in early June, would have grabbed it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-11 06:27 PM
    -BBM
    -Superior Phone Functionality
    -Actually usable overseas for data without running up huge data bill like competition will.
    -Security
    -Will work with my Playbook
    -I don't feel need to get an iPhone
    07-13-11 06:33 PM
    I already have chosen a BlackBerry over these others. And the 9930 will just be another BETTER BlackBerry. In fact a lot better. So for those that already have chosen BlackBerrys, it seems like a no brainer.
    lnichols likes this.
    07-13-11 06:35 PM
    I once showed a video of a Lamborghini Reventon to a friend. And he said, "what can this car do that a Ferrari cant?" The only thing I could think of was that the Reventon has a lovely stripe. It doesn't matter why you like certain things and why certain people like different things, its the fact that you like it for what it is. A friend of mine was a blackberry user for many years. Her father thought it was a great idea to buy her the iphone 4 for her birthday. She has been using her Iphone since then, but keeps her Blackberry in a drawer by her bed. She appreciates the iphone for it does (make calls, and play games) but she does not like it. If an earthquake struck her house, she'll take her blackberry with her. Her words...

As for me, I have use Android, Symbian, iOS, and blackberry. Although my iphone lasted the longest with me (1 1/2 years) it ultimately died due to the upgrade to iOS4. my phone was the forgotten 3GS model. It can't make calls now. I use it on WiFi and to play games on the morning commute. My android was a bloated piece of hardware. It was funky and nice to change everything visual in the phone. But soon it started to drain all the batteries and died after 6 hours of fiddling about with it. Though my android fan of a friend, carries 2 batteries and a charger with him wherever he went (in his man-bag*snigger*) he's fine with it and will not trade an iphone or a blackberry for his battered HTC Wildfire. before all these latest-and-greatest-and-fastest-and-brightest chase with mobile technology started for me, I was using a blackberry 8310. After all these years of battling with technology, mastering the newest and most complicated, I missed the good old days of checking mail on the go, send IMs, receive notifications asap. life was simpler back then. And for once after a long long journey, I wanted a simple life. And the blackberry 9900 is simple.

That's why i'm choosing the 9900 over iphone 5 or HTC whatever's-next. What can this phone do that the iphone cant? nothing. but what can this phone that the iphone cant? answer: personal satisfaction and wonderful sense of something that belongs in my hands, pocket and bag.
    07-13-11 07:22 PM
    - Removable media + Mass storage mode
    YES!!! this is an awesome feature that I absolutely LOVE and use everyday, and beside the keyboard, I wouldnt even consider and iPhone if it doesn't have this feature!

Its actually kind of annoying that the iPhone doesnt have this feature, cause I own a 160gb iPod Classic, and it has Mass storage mode. in fact all my previous iPods had this feature and it was great, I could use my iPod like a portable hard drive. I do not understand why the iPhone and other iOS devices dont support this, when apple is capable of providing this feature just like it already does on the iPod.

Same thing with Removable media... The iMac I have has a Mini SD Card slot on the side, and you can easily slide in a memory card from a digital camera and copy pictures over no problem. Same thing with the MacBook Pro's and Mac Mini's, they all have SD card slots.

is it that hard to add a MICRO SD card slot on an iPhone?
    07-13-11 07:25 PM
    I really need to witness someone who can fly through their Android or iPhone ... especially with the touch keyboard. I know they exist. Surely there are some expert-slabphone users on YouTube. But frankly, I am NOT seeing them in real life.
    I'm watching people use their androids and iPhones like *I* would use them... slowly. Gently locating and carefully tapping each letter like they are trying not to break the egg.

The significants of that keyboard surprises me. I would have never thought it, but that darn thing is huge.

The flipside, for me, is that if an android phone can reproduce the physical keyboarding experience, I might be convinced to move. (by that time, RIM might be producing a QNX killer phone that changes the game again)

Looking forward to the 9930.
    07-13-11 08:00 PM
    for me it goes like this: plan A:rim,plan B:apple,plan C:android.but the way at&t is running things,plan A may soon become apple. im not thrilled with the delay rumors circling around for at&t.its kind of a nuisance after waiting and waiting for a very long time.
    07-13-11 09:10 PM
    When I want to play GAMES, I sit infront of my computer with a huge *** 24" LCD and play real games like Starcraft II and on my XBox. I don't try to strain my eye on that dinky iPhone/phone screen in general.

When I walk and type, I can pretty much type without looking at the BlackBerry. Keeping me aware of cars on the street so I don't get rammed over by one.

When I am on my phone, I want it to do work. Messaging, emails, directions. I want get it done efficiently... and I pick the physical keyboard. Not just a random keyboard, but a BlackBerry keyboard. They are so well engineered that one would hardly appreciate until they spend a significant/a lot of time typing on one.

I pick a device that actually can stay on MSN/AIM/Gtalk, because I like to socialize on it. BlackBerry maintains a steady connection better than an iPhone, consumes less data/power. I also enjoys BBM as it consumes "bytes" of data instead of "kilobytes" sending a message, which is important when I'm roaming.

When I want to surf, I whip out my PlayBook + Freedom Pro Keyboard and surf like a desktop experience. Both the keyboard + tablet fits in my jacket.

When my phone knows more about me than Google, I want it to be secured. I like the 10 password and wipe feature. I want it to be secure and not to worry about it if I ever lost it. I like my stuff to be on a platform that is secure. BlackBerry does it.

Security... a word that doesn't have much meaning until your privacy is compromised. I don't need to experience an identity thief to learn my lesson. I'll put my trust on BlackBerry for that reason. It feels safe and it is safe.

---

Coming from the Palm IIIc days, I understand my needs, and BlackBerry does it the best. Period.
    livejam likes this.
    07-13-11 11:40 PM
    Coming from an iPhone and android...I may go with the bold soley for emailing and the keyboard. That's it. Android and iPhone have great apps and I use them daily. It will be hard to let them go.
    07-13-11 11:43 PM
    While I love the Blackberry form, the iphone 4 and 5 sure got my attention. To me really, its all about software. I like BB OS 6, but it is just plan slow. Delete a app you say? A reboot is required. The clock is always appering for small things. On the iphone lag is minimal to none. I really hope they fix the BB OS.

07-14-11 12:58 AM
    I am buying the Bold because I want my keyboard back! Also, ease of use, instant email, battery life, and reliability. I swear my Thunderbolt reboots itself way more than my BB ever did. Sometimes it reboots twice in one day! And that does not include the battery pulls I have to do when it freezes. So, after experimenting with Android (I've used the Droid X, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Evo) I am ready to go back to BB. The new Bold and its awesome specs are paving the way back
    07-14-11 12:55 PM
    i just got a evo 3d and im returning it tomorrow and waiting till august 11 for the 9930. im a blackberry guy. i know that now....love the real keyboard, love the classic bold form, love bbm, email, and the basic ease of overall use on a blackberry.
    07-14-11 06:49 PM
    Why I will take the 9900 over an iPhone.

Always on. Multitasking.
    Docking Station/Bedside Mode...love this
    Premium Docs To Go included (apparently updated for OS7)
    Keyboard/LED/Profiles/Notifications
    BB Apps ie Twitter/Facebook/BBreader/BBProtect/BBM
    Ruggedness/Battery Life

BB's simply work for me and the 9900 seems perfect for what I'm looking for in a smartphone.
    07-14-11 09:14 PM
    I love the analogy, I have one word... "AMEN"
    07-14-11 09:21 PM
    The last time I got excited for a BlackBerry phone was the Storm and we all know how that turned out. I had mine for less than 6 weeks I think. Since then I have been back to the Curve 8330, to the Tour and now I have been using this Bold 9650 for a year. I am genuinely excited for the 9930 as it looks to be what I always thought a BlackBerry should be. It's not perfect by today's wild standards but I think I will be very happy with it for a while until, hopefully, I am wowed by a QNX phone.
    07-15-11 08:08 AM
    Has anyone tried the droid 3 keyboard? Is there any chance that it can come close to equaling the blackberry's? That is, does it serve to resolve the "must have physical keyboard!" critique of those slab phones?

From reading the reviews, it appears that the Droid 3 requires an extended battery. It is no more bulky than the original battery. If the extended battery "fixes" the battery life concerns, then that problem might be resolved, too!

I'm still plotting to take the Droid 3 for a test drive.

My primary goal is to get a phone that can serve as a mini-mini-netbook. Doing whatever I can to avoid hauling a computer around.

The 9900 looks to be the winner, but I would be remiss if I don't check in on that Droid 3.

Incidentally, I didn't realize that android phones do so much freezing and crashing! really?
    07-15-11 08:28 AM
    i just got a evo 3d and im returning it tomorrow and waiting till august 11 for the 9930. im a blackberry guy. i know that now....love the real keyboard, love the classic bold form, love bbm, email, and the basic ease of overall use on a blackberry.
    Where did you get the info BB Bold 9930 coming to Sprint on August 11? I assumed it was August 21-24 area.

07-15-11 08:48 AM
    I have been back and forth between the iPhone and BlackBerry so many times...it's almost legendary. I have settled on the iPhone 4 simply because of the display and multimedia capabilities...which so far the BlackBerry simply cannot match, no matter how loudly any BB fanboy crows.

But, I have always had a warm place in my heart for BlackBerry...and am tempted on an almost daily basis to come back to the "BlackPlace".

So...to answer the question of the OP's topic...and since my upgrade is next month...

If the 9900 is as nice as it looks in person...and if the speed and browser have been improved over the 9700/9780...and if I can lose my hatred of the stupid horizontal scrolling dock of OS6...I might come back to BlackBerry with the 9900...

But, RIM is going to have to "wow" me to get me to leave what I have come to see is the best, most complete and smothest, most polished smartphone on the market...the Apple iPhone. I am ready and willing to be impressed...but RIM is going to have to really get my attention!!
    07-15-11 10:08 AM
    First I would like to say I am a huge BB fan. Been with BB since the 6230 and have had dozens of BB phones. Went to iPhone 4 and Android and now back to BB with 9780.

Will I buy a 9900 over an iPhone? The answer is simple...no.

I look at the 9900 and really have to be honest with myself. This is yesterday's technology today. It is not 4G. It does not have a front facing camera. It does not have HDMI/VGA out. You can't hook a bluetooth keyboard up easily to the device. No amazing screen. With iPhone you can do all that and more. With the cloud you will have one place to sync documents. Make a change on your computer and save it and it will be on your iPhone and iPad.

I am thinking about switching again back to iPhone. iOS5 looks great. One device will run my entire business. I can plug cables into the phone and give Keynote presentations. I can edit and finally store word and excel docs. Notifications are now presented in a better form and iMessage will keep people connected across all platforms (iPad, iPod touch, iPhone).

I sent RIM the idea of streamlining their models to the Pearl and Bold many moons ago (instead they tried to compete against Apple with touchscreen devices and failed). Make them in two different colors (Black and White) and perfect them. QNX should be in the phones by now. The 9900 should have been released a year ago (or longer). It should not have been Apple giving us Facetime, iCloud, a great browsing experience, etc. it should have been RIM.

While RIM was resting on it's laurels and developing a tablet (again competing against Apple's iPad and failing) that was released too early with tons of bugs, Apple was polishing the iPhone lineup and tablet.

Today I read that RIM is readying an Apple TV competitive device. If that is true, you might as well start looking for another phone. RIM won't exist.

If RIM's definition of competition is to simply try and copy Apple, they will die a slow death. They really need to get ahead of Apple by releasing things we are not expecting. Believe it or not, the "Wow!" factor still sells phones. There is nothing I have seen that is "Wow!" about the 9900.

Put a few billion to work RIM and start developing something that makes iPhone owners say wow.
    07-15-11 11:22 AM
    I have a 9700, and the Bold line is, without a doubt, my favorite line of phones, but the iPhone 5 just blows the 9900 out of the water in every aspect other than the Bolds' signature QWERTY keyboard. I don't think I can stand a phone without the Bold keyboard after having a 9700, but I absolutely do not want to be behind in the other aspects of a phone.

I will miss BlackBerry. That's for sure.

Last edited by RichardC300; 07-15-11 at 05:13 PM.
    07-15-11 05:08 PM
    dedication
    07-15-11 05:41 PM
173 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD