06-09-09 05:45 AM
36 12
tools
    Do you really notice big differences in the various OS'? Speed? Ability to multi-task? What's the main differences...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Ability to mutli task, yes. Hourglass hardly shows up.

Better 3G connection/signal for sure.

Random reboots. HUGE, HUGE difference.
    06-08-09 02:52 PM
    Things I've found improved in .266 over .167 (granted, no hard data, but my observations, and many others have shared these as well in the thread about .266 which I read all of prior to upgrading):

-More free memory/better memory management. Good for everyday users because it means less of a need to ever do a batt. Pull, better for power users because they can do much more.

-Overall device speed increase, including browser speed increase. You say you have no problems, and people say they don't care about a few miliseconds shaved off times, but really, a few milliseconds shaved off everything you do adds up at the end of the day, and really adds up over the life of the device

-Better battery life. This one has already been touched on, and to me, is reason enough to upgrade, even if you think it is fine now. There may come a time when you think, "man, I wish my battery life had been better so I could call 911 now" (sorry for the extreme example, but you get the picture).

-Better signal and easier swapping from 3G to 2G and vice-versa.

Another big thing for me was just the enjoyment of doing things like upgrading and tweaking the phone. It may not be the same for you, but it's basically a mini-computer and I enjoy tweaking it and having it run at peak capacity at all times.

Your main argument against seems to be the people who had problems, the upgrade to .266 from .167 was my first ever device update on a BB. If you look into how to do it, and back up everything, there is nothing to worry about. I would also suggest using the East Asia version, since almost no one had problems with it, and you don't even have to delete the vendor.xml file.

Your other big argument is "if it isn't broken, why fix it?" The reason for upgrading when not having any "problems" is so that what is working well can work even better (already went over those) and so that bugs that you may not have noticed so far can be fixed.

As others said though, there isn't any pressure to do it, and you may not notice any "OMG my device is 400x better!" Moments, but your experience with the device will improve, whether or not you notice it.

Just my .02

06-08-09 03:20 PM
    I have upgraded twice, and am currently using .237 A couple of the problems that have been fixed for me from past OS's are....

Better battery life

Havent had 1 random reset on .237 and have been using it for a couple months now, before I would have a random reset once or twice per week

Can fast forward video now without the device resetting

Thumbnails working correctly in "my pictures", and they load much quicker

Wifi icon stays on my Bold now. Before I upgraded, about once per week my wifi icon would totally disappear. I would have to resend service books, battery pulls, and all kind of crazy stuff to get it to come back. That was my biggest bugaboo with the old OS's.
    06-08-09 03:41 PM
    .167 media player works very poorly in regards to video compatibility.
    06-08-09 04:04 PM
    Upgrade for better battery life, more available memory, faster browsing, fewer lags....

Some people may experience upgrading difficulties or not like a particular OS and move on to another one, but I would bet it's extremely rare that anyone had upgraded from .167 and gone back to .167 as a preference.

My Bold worked fine on Rogers .162 and I kept it there for a long time. And now it works even better on .266 and .162 is a distant memory.
    06-08-09 04:16 PM
    Why? Application switcher on the BB button. Think Alt-Tab in Windows.

06-08-09 04:30 PM
    Just my .02

Thanks...I have learned a lot from your info.

06-08-09 07:27 PM
    Thanks...I have learned a lot from your info.
    No problem, I had the same question, and after reading every single post I could about updating my OS and about the plusses of .266 I decided that it would be worth it to update.

Now I see why so many people advocate updating even if your carrier doesn't "officially" support it. I've been very happy with it and eagerly await future updates.

06-08-09 08:42 PM
    No problem, I had the same question, and after reading every single post I could about updating my OS and about the plusses of .266 I decided that it would be worth it to update.

Now I see why so many people advocate updating even if your carrier doesn't "officially" support it. I've been very happy with it and eagerly await future updates.

I've read through as many posts about the various upgrades as well...a majority of the positive posts sound like "awesome update; love it!" which doesn't really say much, I'm one of those that just because everybody else is doesn't mean I will. Whereas the negative posts are generally very specific and pointed in why the poster thinks the upgrade is a poor choice. I might give this .266 a shot.

06-08-09 09:11 PM
    I agree that many of the posts are that way, but there are a few people in there who know what they're talking about and some have hard numbers on the battery life. Many can tell you what their increase in free memory is as well. I found that most people who had a problem used the Vodaphone update, which seems starnge to me, but was enough to make me use the East Asian version, as I would suggest others do as well.

06-09-09 02:20 AM
    The egypt comment was a joke as in old like the pharaohs. In truth it really seems like this thread was meant to argue. The fact is there are many posts dignifying why 167 isn't as solid as 266 with evidence not speculation. The reason you see the 'omg I bricked it' is the same reason you find more negative comments in a customer service forum. People are usually silent when happy. Those that have issues post so again to say that there are more unhappy is speculation.

Edit: just one small example was fresh install memory check on 167 vs 266
    Last edited by warau; 06-09-09 at 05:47 AM.
    06-09-09 05:45 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD