06-09-09 05:45 AM
36 12
tools
    1). My Bold (3 month old refurb w/ 12 hour a day use) and I get along fine; it does what I ask it to do in a timely manner; never freezes or takes forever loading pages; it switches between apps and multi-tasks with ease...
    2). I notice lots of users with major headaches from upgrading their OS.
    3). What are the main benefits of upgrading...to me it seems like why fix it if it ain't broke, right?
    Please pile on..............now!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-09 08:30 AM
    If you don't have any problems, don't update. Simple as that

06-08-09 08:37 AM
    you don't have to if you're satisfied. most that upgrade aren't easily satisfied and are always looking for a smoother operating bold. they want more free memory and less 'hourglassing'. if you don't have any of these issues than there is really no reason for you to upgrade. i've upgraded several times and had no problems. there are always at least a few tiny bug fixes, like picture thumbnail loading speed, the ability to fast forward videos without a reboot/freeze, etc. but again, don't upgrade if you feel you don't need to.
    06-08-09 08:40 AM
    Once I found an os that worked great- with my 8310, I stopped updating. I just got my bold, so I'm not ready to update the os juuust yet...
    06-08-09 08:48 AM
    I agree with Sedative and Bucks if your happy with .167 then stay with it but it gave me issues so I had to upgraded.

06-08-09 08:50 AM
    I was in the same exact boat as you just 2 days ago until I plunged to upgrade. I have to say I was happy with the upgrade for only one reason -- Battery life.

Battery life significantly improved. On .167 I basically had to charge the phone every night with moderate usage with 3G on. Now with .247 (not .266) I can get about 2 days standby time with the same amount of usage with 3G, and still have about 10-20% battery left.

Although I didn't find anything else significantly improved, but at least battery life was a huge plus for me. Of course, this varies unit from unit according to the people here.
    06-08-09 09:00 AM
    Although I didn't find anything else significantly improved, but at least battery life was a huge plus for me. Of course, this varies unit from unit according to the people here.[/QUOTE]

Ahhhhhhh...battery life! I do charge every night; but I use the thing upwards of 10 hours a day for work. Pics, emails, gps, retrieving info from the memory. I car charge if I am out and get the red battery power icon.
    I'll probably stay with the .167 for now, even with the associated OS envy.

06-08-09 09:19 AM
    To get access to newly added features.

06-08-09 09:32 AM
    Testing out the new features of course , each updates was made to make things works better.

If no one willing to try out the new feature so lets just use the first blackberry ever build we are of course not going to break anything so to speak ..
    06-08-09 09:51 AM
    Testing out the new features of course , each updates was made to make things works better.

If no one willing to try out the new feature so lets just use the first blackberry ever build we are of course not going to break anything so to speak ..
    I signed up to be an end user; not a guinea pig. Exactly what 'features' am I missing?

06-08-09 09:55 AM
    If it works fine then don't. You can use it 10 hours a day and not have any issues but it really depends on HOW you use it. Its once you start using a lot of apps that you may start experiencing issues and upgrading your OS can solve some of them.

06-08-09 10:07 AM
    If it works for you then that's great, leave it the way it is. The same way I don't think I will ever upgrade from .266 it just simply works for me.
    06-08-09 10:30 AM
    Yup just for email 10 hours a day that will be more than adequate.

For other super natural users like me I use 3 different browsers simultaneously and multitasking to the max we do need better OS.
    06-08-09 10:40 AM
    Battery life depends on device use hence the varying results. 167 sucks and the features in the updates were great. No one needs to convince you though there are so many threads on reasons to upgrade. If those don't do it for you then stay on egypt rc 167

Although I didn't find anything else significantly improved, but at least battery life was a huge plus for me. Of course, this varies unit from unit according to the people here.

Ahhhhhhh...battery life! I do charge every night; but I use the thing upwards of 10 hours a day for work. Pics, emails, gps, retrieving info from the memory. I car charge if I am out and get the red battery power icon.
    I'll probably stay with the .167 for now, even with the associated OS envy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com[/QUOTE]

06-08-09 11:30 AM

Because its fun to hack!!!

Also makes the phone feel brand new!
    06-08-09 01:52 PM
    Preventative is good.
    The whole "if it ain't broke don't fix it" doesn't really hold true imo, but you don't "need" to update if you arent having issues.

That said, there's nothing really "better" about .167 than .266, whereas the reverse isn't really true...
    06-08-09 01:56 PM
    Preventative is good.
    The whole "if it ain't broke don't fix it" doesn't really hold true imo, but you don't "need" to update if you arent having issues.

That said, there's nothing really "better" about .167 than .266, whereas the reverse isn't really true...
    I agree with that.
    06-08-09 02:03 PM
    Yup just for email 10 hours a day that will be more than adequate.

For other super natural users like me I use 3 different browsers simultaneously and multitasking to the max we do need better OS.
    Most apps I use simultaneously is probably 3...browser, gps and camera...sometimes I'll have music in the background too. When not working my use is limited to mostly browsing and email..

06-08-09 02:16 PM
    Um...I see many post about 'bricked' and otherwise troublesome upgrade consequences...not near as many "Wow I upgraded and my teeth are even whiter" stories. As far as "167 sucks"...kind of a lame piece of info; maybe you had issues, I don't...and it really adds nothing of consequence to the discussion. I don't know what the Egypt comment means...can anybody shed some light?.
    Last edited by bumblesbounce; 06-08-09 at 02:28 PM.
    06-08-09 02:24 PM
    It's VERY hard to actually, fully brick your device on the upgrade... (bricked means you can't recover the device yourself, not really the casual way people use it on this board).

And yes .167 sucks and it's not just because "some person" out there had a couple issues...
    06-08-09 02:26 PM
    i usually upgrade just to test out the new OS. if i like it I'll stick with it. at the end of the day, everyone's experience is different because there are so many different variables, like our individual handset, coverage area, usage etc, so i just like to check it out for myself.
    06-08-09 02:34 PM
    It's VERY hard to actually, fully brick your device on the upgrade... (bricked means you can't recover the device yourself, not really the casual way people use it on this board).

And yes .167 sucks and it's not just because "some person" out there had a couple issues...
    Get
    a hundred people to say "it sucks" and there is still no value to the statement. Why did it suck? Was it tough for you to multi-task? Did it freeze? I still find way more threads complaining about upgrade problems than extolling the virtues...I understand the concept of product improvement...but if all you have as an answer to my question is "it sucks"...that's as lame as me saying "it's great". Which I'm not saying; I'm asking why upgrade if it works for me? Maybe someone with insight could help me out; so far battery life is the only suggestion that fits my situation of being a less than super natural user; which I figire is the majority of users.

Last edited by bumblesbounce; 06-08-09 at 02:44 PM.
    06-08-09 02:41 PM
    It doesn't have anything to do with me validating it.
    .167 doesn't suck because I say it does (it sucks for a slew of other reasons that can be researched elsewhere without me recompiling existing information).

You don't have issues, congrats. Then why worry? You ask why upgrade? Don't...

What does stand to obvious reason is that an initial launch OS isn't as good as the 20+ iterations that have resulted since then. At least one of those OS's is going to include fixes that .167 obviously did not.
    Last edited by papped; 06-08-09 at 02:47 PM.
    06-08-09 02:45 PM
    i usually upgrade just to test out the new OS. if i like it I'll stick with it. at the end of the day, everyone's experience is different because there are so many different variables, like our individual handset, coverage area, usage etc, so i just like to check it out for myself.
    Do you really notice big differences in the various OS'? Speed? Ability to multi-task? What's the main differences...

06-08-09 02:47 PM
    If you really want to know what changed there's beta OS threads practically per OS
    06-08-09 02:48 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD