Hello everyone,

I have come across quite a few reviews of the nokia e71. By all accounts the web experience is much better than the Bold (including full flash support), it's narrower, thinner and lighter. Screen is not as good though - and of course it's not a blackberry.

But seriously, are there any other reasons why I wouldn't go for it ahead of a bold??

Your thoughts would be much appreciated!

thanks

nick
    08-29-08 08:29 AM
    You said it, "its not a BlackBerry" nuff said.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-08 09:55 AM
    c'mon, that's not nuff said! Yes it's not a blackberry but are there any other reasons?
    08-29-08 10:02 AM
    You said it, "its not a BlackBerry" nuff said.

That's enough for me. Trust me once you go Black[berry] you never go back.

The features the blackberry offers are more business oriented which suits more people than the nokia.
    Ohh and cut and paste

08-29-08 10:11 AM
    The Nokia is a very good phone, I would personally like to have the N series though. IMO, the new N phones are just as good if not better than the BBs. It all depends on your need.
    08-29-08 10:49 AM
    E71 uses S60. That alone is enough for me to stay away. Symbian sucks. To each his own though.

08-29-08 10:59 AM

The features the blackberry offers are more business oriented which suits more people than the nokia.
    Ohh and cut and paste

There have been plenty that went back after using a BlackBerry.

to the OP, you're posting this kind of question in a blackberry forum and expect to get an unbiased answer? you will get more fanboy answers than anything else.

But to answer your question, the E71 is a great smartphone. It all comes down to preference and which is more important to you. the BB is still king when it comes to emails, but multimedia, the E71 wins hands down. Just ask whats more important to you.
    08-29-08 11:01 AM
    i have to carry both around as well, the bold and e71. I really like the Bold, it blows the other BB's away for sure. For the e71 I agree with you in regards to the browser, and there is the fact that it has features that the bold does not; video calling, live TV, flash is a biggie like you said. I can honestly say, that if I was able to have the same data plan for my e71 that I have for my Bold (worldwide unlimited BIS $75 a month) I would not have to carry around 2 phones. The one phone I would choose, would be the E71, especially since Nokias new beta mail client looks better than emails on my BB to me. At the end of the day its your personal preference and you can only ask people to help you out with technical input, the decision is with you.

oh..and you are on a BB site, so its not like you will find too many people agreeing with you.
    Last edited by dubai_bb; 08-29-08 at 11:57 AM.
    08-29-08 11:49 AM
    Again more important to some folks than others, but look at that lovely big, sharp screen on the Bold.
    08-29-08 11:59 AM
    I have the E71 and 8310 right now (Bold arriving tomorrow, I hope).
    The E71 is a fantastic device. Size, format, screen, etc.
    3G works flawlessly as well as switching between 2G and 3G.
    The only reason I didn't stick with the E71 is the lack of Blackberry Connect.
    I'm on BES and need push email that works.
    Now, if there was only a way to hack OS 4.6.0.x onto the Nokia E71....

Todd
    08-29-08 12:18 PM
    nokia and blackberry are my 2 favorite phone companies. i think they are the best. i only used nokias before i made the permanent move to blackberry.
    08-29-08 12:47 PM
    thanks for your honest answers. I appreciate that I was maybe throwing myself into the lion's den but you have all been very fair. To those of you who have both, can i just ask the following?

1 how do you find the audio (earphone) quality on both
    2 can you cut and paste from the nokia? and are the email's HTML?

i really was going to order a bold on monday, now i am confused!

the thing is, I have never owned a Blackberry. I love the look of the Bold but its "Blackberryness" is not something i can yet understand. Lots of you say BB is just better, period, but I haven't yet had the real life experience of why. As I am a sole trader I would not use BES, I would just use the web server (correct term?) and I am not sure what the difference between that and, for example, Vodafone Business Email (Visto).

Grrrrrrrrr!
    08-29-08 01:41 PM
    Don't use an earphone so I can't comment. The sound from the speaker is great on the E71.
    Yes, you can cut and paste on the E71.

Todd
    08-29-08 03:26 PM
    After reading this thread... I looked in to this phone... it actually looks very promising.

If ATT doesnt get their act together I may be swayed... hmm...

ps- looks promising AND reasonably priced.. is there a catch??
    08-29-08 04:09 PM
    A Nokia E71 is just another Smartphone... a BlackBerry (Bold) is a new way of life!
    Last edited by Montala; 08-29-08 at 04:25 PM.
    08-29-08 04:14 PM
    Hi all,

Well i have been an S60 user for a little over 2 and half years now and still have my E90, i also had a E71 on trial from WOM.

The E71 is a really nicely built device but it is severely lacking in the Multimedia department and the Bold seriously out guns the E71 in this area. The screen on the Bold is just so much better as is Video playback support and is the Music Player both in quality and volume plus of course the 3.5m jack as opposed to 2.5m.

E-mail using the Nokia Beta app so far only supports one account so for me and many others is useless. I have been using Seven on my S60 devices for push E-Mail and it has worked very well for me. But E-Mail on the Bold is better and was just as easy to set up and is a great app.

The Bold has impressed me with both it's speed and ease of use and so far i have only added a Accu Weather and MyAlarm and the only thing i still need to add is a Sat Nav mapping solution. Although the E71 is all metal and really has great build quality and the Bold is plastic it is not IMO a cheap and nasty plastic and still looks and feels great.

Lets put this way i am used to and comfortable with S60 yet i sent the E71 back before the trial ended and i didn't buy one. Yet i bought and am keeping the Bold the reason i choose the Bold was the much better screen and Multimedia for Business the Bold and E71's abilities are very similar with little to choose between them although you may need a 3rd party app to have the same level of E-Mail functionality on the E71 .

But as always there really is no perfect device for everyone only what is best for each of us.

Marc
    08-29-08 04:31 PM
    That isn't true at all.
    08-29-08 04:58 PM
    To those of you who have both, can i just ask the following?

1 how do you find the audio (earphone) quality on both
    2 can you cut and paste from the nokia? and are the email's HTML?

Lots of you say BB is just better, period, but I haven't yet had the real life experience of why. As I am a sole trader I would not use BES, I would just use the web server (correct term?) and I am not sure what the difference between that and, for example, Vodafone Business Email (Visto).
    1 - I dont listen to music on my phones, but in regards to call quality its an industry standard that no one can compete with Nokia on this.
    2 - yes as mentioned you can cut and paste, html email not yet but the email client is a beta and there is still hope. Especially since the email client looks a lot nicer than emails do on my bold.

********If you are not using BES and only use one email I would definitely pick the E71, because nokias beta mail client does something my BB on BIS DOES NOT. It lets me pull down ALL my emails I have on the web server, where as my BB with BIS only pushes emails that come after you set up your account on the device.****

I also have 7 email address' so I guess it was a little premature for me to say that I would be willing to give up my Bold if I could have the same data plan for the e71. But like I said, considering that nokias email client is a beta and its this nice, I have high hopes.

Dogmann mentioned that the bold outguns the e71 in multimedia, i personally do not agree with this, but it all the depends on what apps you like to use. I agree that finding and installing apps is easier on a BB, but I prefer what my E71 has.
    I dont really listen to music or watch videos on my devices so cant comment on that.
    **** The E71 has multimedia features that even cheap entry level 3G phones have now a days but my bold DOES NOT; video calling and Live mobile TV. Also, Nokia Maps is 10 times better than BB maps, and a little better than google maps in my opinion.

At the end of the day you should not base you decision on anyone elses comments and should really find a way to try both phones out.
    08-29-08 11:43 PM
    Having never used Nokia devices before, the E71 is the one Nokia that has gotten my attention. I've been considering giving it a go. I love the BB, the OS and apps are quick and stable. However, there is one major drawback for me: OTA Sync. You simply don't get Exchange support with wireless sync out of the box the way you do with Palm and Windows Mobile. I've been through three Palms and four Windows Mobile devices over the past four years. I keep coming back to BB for stability. However, I really want my cheap and easy OTA Exchange sync. With BB, you have to pay out the nose for a data plan on top of your organization ponying up for the middleware and server (BES). It's crap, I say. I know it works, but really, RIM needs to wake up because others offer it out of the box for free.

Can anyone comment on Nokia's out of the box Exchange support? I'm really not interested in total push. Just a scheduled sync would do, as long as it's automatic and completely OTA. I've read about Nokia's new beta email service. Not really interested in that right now.

And while I'm griping, I guess I can mention BB's limited on board memory (save for the Bold), lack of GPS programs with local maps (maps stored on the device) and lack of the ability to store apps on memory cards.
    08-30-08 12:57 AM
    Nokia E71 vs. BlackBerry Bold: the QWERTYs rip each other to shreds : Boy Genius Report

a friend of mine has an e71, so i've gotten to play around with it for a little while-- it is an enjoyable little device. but i don't think the email support is 100% there yet, and honestly, the bold's browser (minus the bugs) is good enough for 95% of mobile web, from what i've seen of it. granted, i wouldn't fault anyone for getting an e71, but if you want email (especially on a corporate level) then get a blackberry.
    08-30-08 01:17 AM
    With BB, you have to pay out the nose for a data plan on top of your organization ponying up for the middleware and server (BES). It's crap, I say. I know it works, but really, RIM needs to wake up because others offer it out of the box for free.

I think it's possible to sync OTA with BlackBerry Unite. You do need to keep your PC on 24/7 though. And I have never tried it.
    Last edited by aeldes1; 08-30-08 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Edit: Sorry, I meant with regards to OTA sync of calender...
    08-30-08 01:48 AM
    I have the E71 with me right now, using it with the Bold and the browser on E71 blows BB's browser away! It's faster, and renders pages better too. The device itself is smaller, thinner than the iPhone and the build is MILES away from Bold's cheap plastic build.

However, I still think Blackberry is more productive due to much better email integration, which is why E71 is my weekend phone now, because it looks good and feels good and I dont feel like getting rid of it
    08-30-08 09:28 AM
    Having never used Nokia devices before, the E71 is the one Nokia that has gotten my attention. I've been considering giving it a go. I love the BB, the OS and apps are quick and stable. However, there is one major drawback for me: OTA Sync. You simply don't get Exchange support with wireless sync out of the box the way you do with Palm and Windows Mobile. I've been through three Palms and four Windows Mobile devices over the past four years. I keep coming back to BB for stability. However, I really want my cheap and easy OTA Exchange sync. With BB, you have to pay out the nose for a data plan on top of your organization ponying up for the middleware and server (BES). It's crap, I say. I know it works, but really, RIM needs to wake up because others offer it out of the box for free.

Can anyone comment on Nokia's out of the box Exchange support? I'm really not interested in total push. Just a scheduled sync would do, as long as it's automatic and completely OTA. I've read about Nokia's new beta email service. Not really interested in that right now.

And while I'm griping, I guess I can mention BB's limited on board memory (save for the Bold), lack of GPS programs with local maps (maps stored on the device) and lack of the ability to store apps on memory cards.
    Mail for exchange, integrated within E71 works fine, but I paid the extra $50 and got Roadsync, which does folders as well!
    08-30-08 09:29 AM
    Am thinking of getting the E71 as well I think it is a nice device plus am tired of my curve time for a changed plus I never own a nokia device

08-30-08 10:04 AM
    I really appreciated seeing this thread. I have the first generation Iphone and have been very pleased with it except for the battery. I am constantly charging it. I have never owned a Blackberry but the first time I saw a picture of the Bold I was intrigued.
    A friend of mine just got the E71 and I was immediately interested in it as well. I don't need corporate email, just personal. Screen quality is important to me but the E71 screen is small. I store lots of pictures and videos on my Iphone of my grandkids (no, I am not 95 years old, still kicking and working full-time!) I am also someone who HATES to wait and the E71 is available at a local retailer right now. I am desperately trying to stop myself from going to get it but I may anyway, try it out for a week, and take it back if Im not thrilled with it and wait for the Bold.
    I am due for an upgrade with At&T and almost used it for the Curve yesterday just to find out what Blackberry is all about but I dragged myself out of the store before I could blow my upgrade. Is there anywhere to get an unlocked Curve, cheap to play with?
    08-30-08 10:47 AM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD