if you dont need corporate email, then thats one more reason for you to get another handset besides a BB. If you still want a BB over the new iphone, or E71, wait for the Bold. If you were to go get a curve now, you would be doing exactly what you said and ''blowing'' your upgrade.
    08-30-08 10:52 AM
    Forgot to mention I text a lot too and it is not easy on the Iphone. I was in the local ATT store yesterday, the manager had been to a meeting about the Bold. They even had a Rogers rep there showing them the demo and he said the keyboard was wonderful and the screen brilliant. He is hoping for the October 2nd release date, gave me his number to call ahead and he would hold one so really, i know the answer... WAIT. There is also the price issue. $400-$500 for E71 and hopefully around $300 for the Bold. Oh! Also, I am a MAC user so how easy is it to integrate Ical, and contacts with a Blackberry?

Just sitting here twiddling my thumbs wanting a new gadget to play with.
    08-30-08 11:10 AM
    I am also a mac user. Very easy to sync with the BB and wiht the E71.
    08-30-08 11:14 AM
    So if youre just using personal emails like gmail, aol ect the E71 is the way to go?

No push? Just sync?
    08-30-08 11:17 AM
    Nokia has outdone themselves by ditching BB connect for the E71 and instead are going with Nokia Intellisync

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-08 11:28 AM
    So if youre just using personal emails like gmail, aol ect the E71 is the way to go?

No push? Just sync?
    I mentioned earlier, nokia has a beta of their new email client out that pushes, looks nicer than emails on my BB AND does somehting my BB with BIS does NOT; Brings down all my old emails on the server unlike a BB that only pushes emails that come after you have set it up on your device. If you want to use more than 1 email, and cant forward the other addresses to one its a little early to dump the BB. The nokia email client looks very nice and is very promising if the beta is like this. WIll have to keep an eye on it. I am sure the people at Rim are starting to sweat.

email.nokia.com
    Last edited by dubai_bb; 08-30-08 at 11:49 AM.
    08-30-08 11:44 AM
    There is also the price issue. $400-$500 for E71 and hopefully around $300 for the Bold.
    That's interesting, as here in the UK the current price of an unlocked E71 is about �280 ($560) while the Bold is at least �380 ($760)... although it is possible that this may drop slightly, once they become more readily availablr.
    08-30-08 12:04 PM
    That's interesting, as here in the UK the current price of an unlocked E71 is about �280 ($560) while the Bold is at least �380 ($760)... although it is possible that this may drop slightly, once they become more readily availablr.
    after a quick search, looks like you can score a E71 on Ebay for 350.00-400.00...

hmm..... Im very intrigued by this phone now... trying to hold out for the Bold, its gettin tough!
    08-30-08 12:14 PM
    The E71 is going for $480 wihtout contract. The Bold will definitely be going between $599-$699.

I think txdogs is comparing the no contract price of the E71 wiht the contract price of the Bold. Doubt the Bold will be $300, even with a contract.
    08-30-08 12:15 PM
    As for the Bold, I was talking about 'upgrade' contract price with At&T. I just found the E71 for $433.00 online and am very tempted. I love the white steel finish.
    08-30-08 12:24 PM
    Have been using a Windows Mobile PDA for the last year and have recently tested an E71. For serious business use it just doesn't cut it. With either Mail for Exchange or Roadsync as far as I can see it has some serious mail and calendar limitations compared to my PDA.

Calendar:
    Doesn't support free time option everything is counted as busy.
    Doesn't support attendees - either viewing or adding them to an appointment.
    Can't see catagory type.

Email:
    Can't easily multi select mails without going into each one and marking it.
    No HTML email support.
    MfE doesn't support sub folders only syncs the inbox (Roadsync does support folders)
    Can't add text to meeting accept/decline

Contacts:
    Sluggish with 1000+ contacts synced.

Tempted with the Blackberry Bold and Professional software linked to exchange server. Will that combination support all of the above? Although I have to say its a bit of an expensive option compared to another Windows Mobile Pro phone with free active sync exchange server connectivity.
    Last edited by breeza; 08-31-08 at 11:49 AM.
    08-30-08 02:13 PM
    The only reason I didn't stick with the E71 is the lack of Blackberry Connect.

Todd
    Actually, it does.

"What good would an E-Series device be without email? Besides the normal POP3/IMAP supported protocols, Nokia�s Mail For Exchange comes with the device out of the box and is incredibly easy to setup. The handset supports BlackBerry Connect (though we didn�t actually try it) and we�d imagine Goodlink as well. The messaging application had a little bit of a visual makeover, and it�s for the better. Text is extremely readable and emails look great. We�d have loved to see support for HTML email, but oh well."

taken from boygeniusreport dot com
    08-30-08 02:38 PM
    if I bought the Nokia I could drop my BB plan which would mean a cheaper monthly bill...?

Choices! Choices!
    08-30-08 03:00 PM
    A Nokia E71 is just another Smartphone... a BlackBerry (Bold) is a new way of life!
    actually, if u need the device thats a jack of all trades, the nokia has the bold beat, out of the box it just does more things.

the bold doesnt really do anything special out of the box. but if u message then the bold has trumps over the e71.

the e71s keyboard is crap. its got a horrible feel and the keys are downright tiny.
    i despise symbian, its ugly, its not very configurable and its not very intuiative.
    it does run super smooth on my e71 tho. doesnt seem to bog down like previous symbian handsets.

i prefer holding my e71. but i prefer using my bold.
    08-30-08 11:26 PM
    @netrage

Sorry but you are wrong and whilst the Boy Genius thought it would have BB support the E71 doesn't and won't as confirmed by Nokia and it never will either.

@all

OK so it's now been 4 days with the Bold and to be honest I'm amazed anyone can say that E-Mails look better on the E71 as on the Nokia's you are limited to 3 sizes of font small, normal or large. This is one of the things that makes the Bold IMO much better as for all my apps i can set the font style and size which is why i am finding both the PIM and my E-Mails are just so much better and easier and clearer to read. Really reading E-Mails is in a different league to on my E90 or the E71 when i had it.

Also i didn't say there wasn't any multimedia support on the E71 or that it was rubbish i just said that the Bold blows the E71 away which it does. The Music player has a much better sound and volume than the E71 and also doesn't need an adapter to plug in my Shure headphones. Video playback on the Bold again is much better both due to the much better screen and the better codec support to. The files i have now converted to 480x320 25fps Mp4 look nothing short of stunning on the Bold.

But again there really is no correct choice for all only what's best for each of us but lets at least try and stick to the facts about the differences.

Marc
    08-31-08 05:55 AM
    @netrage

But again there really is no correct choice for all only what's best for each of us but lets at least try and stick to the facts about the differences.

Marc
    I agree with your multimedia facts. I merely mentioned that there are other facts in the multimedia department as well.
    Nokia made a very good decision by not providing blackberry connect for the device. The reason they did this is because they are developing their own BIS/BES style of servers and data services and will be providing such services through carriers, just like Blackberry BIS or BIS. I still stand by what I said about emails looking better on my e71 with the new Nokia beta email app. I mentioned I wouldnt give my Bold away yet, since the Nokia app is a beta and only has support for 1 email at the moment. But for a beta it is a very promising look into what is to come from Nokia. The beta email app also does 1 thing my BB with BIS does not, and that is pull down my old emails as opposed to only pushing emails that come after setting up the BB. A very big plus in my opinion.

Below is what I had mentioned previously;

1 - I dont listen to music on my phones, but in regards to call quality its an industry standard that no one can compete with Nokia on this.
    2 - yes as mentioned you can cut and paste, html email not yet but the email client is a beta and there is still hope. Especially since the email client looks a lot nicer than emails do on my bold.

********If you are not using BES and only use one email I would definitely pick the E71, because nokias beta mail client does something my BB on BIS DOES NOT. It lets me pull down ALL my emails I have on the web server, where as my BB with BIS only pushes emails that come after you set up your account on the device.****

I also have 7 email address' so I guess it was a little premature for me to say that I would be willing to give up my Bold if I could have the same data plan for the e71. But like I said, considering that nokias email client is a beta and its this nice, I have high hopes.

Dogmann mentioned that the bold outguns the e71 in multimedia, i personally do not agree with this, but it all the depends on what apps you like to use. I agree that finding and installing apps is easier on a BB, but I prefer what my E71 has.
    I dont really listen to music or watch videos on my devices so cant comment on that.
    **** The E71 has multimedia features that even cheap entry level 3G phones have now a days but my bold DOES NOT; video calling and Live mobile TV. Also, Nokia Maps is 10 times better than BB maps, and a little better than google maps in my opinion.

At the end of the day you should not base you decision on anyone elses comments and should really find a way to try both phones out
    08-31-08 06:20 AM
    At the end of the day you should not base you decision on anyone elses comments and should really find a way to try both phones out

This is what I'm talking about. The only way to really know is to try them both. Everyone has different tastes and interests for what they want their smartphone to do. Since we have at least another 5 weeks to go before the Bold is out I am going to try to get my hands on an E71 (with a good return policy) and try it!
    08-31-08 10:58 AM
    HTML email is what Business user need the most. Online? Flash? Movie? How would you have time to manage your work?
    08-31-08 11:31 AM
    I would say the lack of true meeting request and attendee support is the real E71 deal breaker for corporate use.
    08-31-08 11:48 AM
    Forgot to mention I text a lot too and it is not easy on the Iphone. I was in the local ATT store yesterday, the manager had been to a meeting about the Bold. They even had a Rogers rep there showing them the demo and he said the keyboard was wonderful and the screen brilliant. He is hoping for the October 2nd release date, gave me his number to call ahead and he would hold one so really, i know the answer... WAIT. There is also the price issue. $400-$500 for E71 and hopefully around $300 for the Bold. Oh! Also, I am a MAC user so how easy is it to integrate Ical, and contacts with a Blackberry?

Just sitting here twiddling my thumbs wanting a new gadget to play with.
    what local retailers have the e71? does anyone know? im looking and cant find it... i want to play with it to see if it can possibly challenge my belief in BB
    08-31-08 02:29 PM
    "Why not the Nokia E71??"

Because it doesn't look as cool as the Bold!
    08-31-08 02:54 PM
    Best Buy.
    I just brought home the E71. So far so good. Isync worked easily on my MAc to transfer contacts and calendar info. I am adjusting to a smaller screen in comparison to my Iphone. It is very light weight. I'll be exploring this all evening. For you Nokia folks where is a good site for downloads like the beta email?
    Price $459 at Best Buy. I got practically the last one in the vicinity and I'm talking Dallas/Fort Worth! 30 day return policy so I can take this back if I'm not happy and I still intend to try the Bold as well.
    08-31-08 03:26 PM
    Let me know how you like it!
    08-31-08 06:24 PM
    I've got my E71 4 days before and still waiting for my bold. But I hesitate to keep waiting for it now.Because I'm not a heavy user of emails, and for the price,e71 cost me only 3488HKD($440) while the price of bold is about 5288HKD($735).
    08-31-08 07:56 PM
    Does the E71 have an LED notification, like on the BBs?

Changes color for email, SMS, missed call, ect?
    08-31-08 08:02 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD