Makes one wonder if they are excluding the mobile hot spot feature from the v7 platform. Can anyone confirm if the 9900 is going to support being a mobile hot spot?
    05-02-11 11:48 AM
    Sorry I am very interested in this and consider it very important
    05-02-11 07:25 PM
    Perhaps it depends on the carrier. Some carriers may choose to disable it, as it will eat into their tethering profits. It's just a wild guess.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-02-11 07:52 PM
    Can't wifi tethering / hotspotting be enabled with an app?
    05-02-11 09:44 PM
    I sure hope it has it. I've been using my ip4 with my iPad (tethering). too much apple in my life. At least 9900/iPad combo would be a little more balanced. :-)

05-02-11 09:50 PM
    Seriously I would like to see this feature - Even if it doesn't form part of the BIS experience would be brandplus on BlackBerry side to include this feature. HOTSPOT is the future - No need for me in future to find a wifi spot zone or carry a Mobile Wireless Router with me around but would be nice to see this feature in future blackberry devices..
    05-02-11 10:12 PM
    I read more articles today....... STILL no mention of hotspot.

05-03-11 06:21 AM
    fingers still crossed
    05-03-11 11:16 AM
    It was even in some leaked screenshots. No idea why they would take it out if thats the case

http://n4bb.com/5027/first-look-at-b...thering-os-6-1
    05-03-11 11:38 AM
    This would be really nice when traveling to use my wife's laptop without having to carry a cable and run special software just for tethering.....I might actually come a little closer to my 5GB monthly usage if they do include a hotspot app and functionality. LUckily for me, US Cellular doesn't usually block stuff on their phones like VZW does!!

05-03-11 11:45 AM
    that feature is great to go with the PB so I really cant see them taking it away
    05-03-11 11:45 AM
    if i'll go to the blackberry.com site it automatically directs me to the german site, if i click on "learn more" (about the bold 9900/9930) it says it'll support wi-fi hotspots
    05-03-11 11:49 AM
    if i'll go to the blackberry.com site it automatically directs me to the german site, if i click on "learn more" (about the bold 9900/9930) it says it'll support wi-fi hotspots

Google translate:
    With a 1.2-GHz processor and 8 GB of expandable memory, the BlackBerry � Bold � 9900 is the absolute epitome of excellence. In addition, it offers the best in Wi-Fi � technology, as it will quickly over Wi-Fi Hot Spots to go online. And with the HD video recording, you can even capture extraordinary moments in every living detail.

maybe the google translation is off but it seems to say it'll just connect to wifi hotspots?
    05-03-11 12:02 PM
    oh.... my bad, just read wi-fi hotspot and thought i remembered this is what has been asked
    sorry
    05-03-11 12:04 PM
    Bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    05-05-11 04:30 PM
    "One feature I would really like to see in the 9900 is mobile hotspot support, which was rumored to be coming along with the 9900. But RIM didn't mention it at all while detailing the device. The RIM representative I asked for more details wouldn't comment on unannounced features, though, so there's still a chance the 9900 will have mobile hotspot functionality."
    BlackBerry Bold 9900 First Impressions | PCWorld

I too want to know if this will be a feature and to me it's a deciding factor.
    05-05-11 08:47 PM
    it's a no go for me if it doesn't have it. big downer.

05-05-11 09:46 PM
    I tweeted blackberry about if the 9900 has the mobile hotspot features and this is the reply i got "@IannCox We do not have this information, keep checking Cell Phones, Smartphones & Mobile Phones from BlackBerry.com for updates. ^BBS"
    There still might be a chance!!
    05-06-11 12:55 AM
    Photo from a month ago on bgr shows hotspot, no idea if it's still in the OS.

http://www-bgr-com.vimg.net/wp-conte...0407151137.jpg
    05-06-11 11:08 AM
    While I would love having the capability, not having it does not change my excitement about getting the 9930.
    05-06-11 11:47 AM
    I can see RIM taking out the hotspot ability to conserve battery life....
    05-06-11 03:47 PM
    For some reason, I think that hotsopt should be included because if RIM took off because of the battery, I think it is a stupid idea. We, the user decide when to turn the hotspot on/off. Like any other wireless feature like Bluetooth or wifi, we can turn on/off to save battery.

I don't need this feature, but IMO I think it is a good idea to show the consumers, RIM's I=innovation. LOL
    05-06-11 04:11 PM
    I can see it being disabled by carriers *at&t* to charge for it, on top of a tethering plan. If preserving battery life they need, they can take out the wifi and bluetooth radio, since they also consume battery. Wifi hotspot can be achieved with the same wifi radio.
    05-06-11 05:29 PM
    I'm still thinking that RIM may have decided to leave it out because that would allow an iPad to get internet access via the BB. Before the Playbook, this clearly would have been a silly thing to stop, but now that RIM have entered the tablet market, it woiuld make sense to disable wifi hotspot functionality - only the Playbook can share the BB's internet access.
    05-07-11 05:33 AM
    Another RIM scam to introduce it as a new feature in the Bold touch 2. I hate the way the treat customers as cash cows!!!

05-07-11 05:49 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD