I've had my bold for over a month now and the last week for some reason when ever I call someone from the handset itself it automatically mutes me. If im using a bluetooth device such as my car then everything is fine but this is pretty inconvenient. Theres also no way to turn it off because its non responsive to the mute/unmute, and as a matter of fact when i open the menu it doesn't show mute as being on. On incoming calls everything is fine. Anyone know whats going on or am I going to need to replace my phone?
    01-11-09 07:32 PM
    try a battery pull
    what os are u running
    01-11-09 10:10 PM
    im on .167 .
    no luck with the battery pull.
    01-13-09 02:23 PM
    There are no consistent reports of this kind of problem on the Bold. You could try upgrading the OS just in case there's a corrupted file in your setup, but I think this sounds too simple to be the fix.

What mutes? Only your speech, or also the incoming speech from the other party?
    Do you have problems with incoming calls to handset? (Is the phone's microphone broken?)
    Does it work if you hit the speakerphone button after the call connects? (Currency key)
    01-13-09 05:44 PM
    The only thing that mutes is my speech. On incoming calls everything is fine, its only on outgoing calls that the person on the other end of the line won't hear me(unless i'm using a bluetooth device). Putting on speakerphone doesn't fix it either. I'm gonna upgrade my OS to see if that does anything.
    01-13-09 06:46 PM
    The only thing that mutes is my speech. On incoming calls everything is fine, its only on outgoing calls that the person on the other end of the line won't hear me(unless i'm using a bluetooth device). Putting on speakerphone doesn't fix it either. I'm gonna upgrade my OS to see if that does anything.
    I think your phone's microphone is broken. That's a hardware fault so the likely fix is a warranty replacement.

Final test might be to try the built in self test:
    Options, Status, type "test" (without the quotes) then hit the Menu button and follow the prompts. You will need to select Handset Audio, there's a mic test in there. Mine works fine if I hold the phone about 6" from my mouth and speak normally.
    01-13-09 07:26 PM
    Ok, so i upgraded my OS to .216 and the problem still persists. Also just ran the test and it was fine. What the **** is going on? This is getting irritating.
    01-14-09 10:16 AM
    I think your phone's microphone is broken. That's a hardware fault so the likely fix is a warranty replacement.
    If the microphone mutes when making outgoing calls, but isnt muted on incoming calls, that doesnt sound like a hardware issue to me really. As far as the hardware is concerned, both scenario's are the same aren't they?
    01-14-09 10:30 AM
    Yeah, i'm pretty sure they don't have separate mics for outgoing and incoming calls.
    01-14-09 10:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD