First the issue of the Playbook. I have one and love it. However, displays always seem to have charging issues and be unable to be turned on. Not sure why these stores are not concerned about their displays.

Now on to the phone. I just returned my 9930 today and went back to my 9650 for now. It was a good phone and overall I liked it. The keyboard was amazing, the phone felt snappy, and the occasional use of the touchscreen for selecting things was nice. That being said, it just wasn't a good enough upgrade for me to warrant the $540 I had spent on it. Also, holding it up to my 9650, I seemed to consistently have a lower signal, just a bar, but still. Anyone else have this or did I just get a dud?
    08-23-11 08:39 PM
    Its amazing though how far we're come since the 8100 Pearl.

That's when RIM 0wn3d the world. I remember calling my Dad screaming that I could take pictures on my Blackberry and email them.

Then a few months later the iPhone blows everyone's mind.

The 9930 is still an antique.

QNX is most likely vapourous. We'll see. I still believe RIM will be gobbled up in the future, by 2015.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I hope Apple buys 'em. They have the cash, and it would make sense with the serious inroads Apple has made into enterprise.
    08-23-11 09:16 PM

Let's all wait to see what happens with bug fixes and updates
    I've read these exact words so often on Crackberry in the past week that I'm about to scrap the notion of getting the 9900. Sorry, but I'm just a little more discerning than that. At the 9900's price point, I expect a "smartphone" with a high degree of functionality. Another poster here said it most succinctly I think,...."remember, this is a blackberry, not an iPhone."

Having said that,....thanks to the crackberry community for saving me from making a very expensive mistake. I only wish I'd looked here before dropping the $$ for the PlayBook.
    08-23-11 09:21 PM
    I sure hope you spend more than 10 minutes as a newlywed... congrats!! :-)
    08-23-11 10:20 PM
    You have 14 days to return it according to Verizon, just return it rather than getting mad and feeling stuck.
    08-23-11 11:20 PM
    This story just doesn't sound right....something is fishy.

Who ever heard of spending $230 for a device that he played with for ten minutes in the store AND DIDN'T LIKE IT ? Then to "threaten" to refuse the package as if it was some sort of protest against RIM......wtf is that about ?

Why would two people about to be married exchange TABLETS as part of the nuptials ? Again in protest, no Playbooks !

Why would a person go on an obviously RIM biased forum and tell this story ? OK, I can buy him telling the story, but then to continue to interact will all defenders and detractors just seems very weird.

My thinking is the is all made up simply to get attention or he's an Apple troll making us all look foolish.

Either way, this story just doesn't pass the smell test....
    Mr Bigs likes this.
    08-24-11 12:08 AM
    I can't believe this thread is still active...Geez.
    08-24-11 12:16 AM
    People need to lighten up. OP stated his experience and opinions based on it. Different people will have different needs and desires and expectations. It is quite reasonable to expect that included features on a handset will equal or surpass the performance of the same features that were in older models. In at least one aspect (camera), the opposite happened. Still, depending on the functionality of a given user's current handset, the 9930 may still present a compelling overall reason to upgrade. In my case, my 9630 was having screen issues and its much slower processor made the upgrade worth the jump despite the Bold's shortcomings.

That said, Sunday at the Sprint store, while activating and setting up my new Bold, I noticed that the cursor would intermittently move to the top of the screen on its own. I put it down to a sensitivity setting at first until even the associate noticed it and suggested switching handsets. He pulled another handset from the back and there was a night and day difference in performance and behavior. I have no idea if I had one dud out of 100 or 1,000,000, but the problem was detected and dealt with then and there. I have enjoyed the new Bold for the most part and would encourage OP to take delivery and try out the Bold in his world for a week or so and take advantage of the return policy if it really does not work out for him. At this point, there is probably a minimal cost difference between refusing the shipment versus returning the handset within the alotted time frame, so why not give it a chance?
    08-24-11 12:55 AM
    OP, u might wanna check out this review........http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ew-641019-new/

he actually tested it for 10 DAYS (not being a smartass just trying to help lol).

but in the end it just might not be your cup of tea *shrugs*

08-24-11 03:59 AM
    Wedding in 2 weeks. Refuse that phone. It was an impulse buy. You don't want to be agonizing over it for the next 2 weeks. Wedding is big big deal. Phone isn't. You can always buy it later. Concentrate on the wedding (unless it's a small deal at McD's). Then you can do more research and make sure you make correct decision. BTW- I have S2 also. So I know exactly where you are coming from.
    08-24-11 08:18 AM
    Wedding in 2 weeks. Refuse that phone. It was an impulse buy. You don't want to be agonizing over it for the next 2 weeks. Wedding is big big deal. Phone isn't. You can always buy it later. Concentrate on the wedding (unless it's a small deal at McD's). Then you can do more research and make sure you make correct decision. BTW- I have S2 also. So I know exactly where you are coming from.
    I disagree! New phone > Wedding. At least with the new phone, you're only under contract for 2yrs then you're free to do as you please!
    08-24-11 08:21 AM
    Why would two people about to be married exchange TABLETS as part of the nuptials ? Again in protest, no Playbooks !
    They have a passion for gadgets and view that as a fun way to celebrate? What's fishy at all about buying each other gifts before a wedding? Gifts are to celebrate something, and I would certainly hope their wedding is a time of celebration.
    deke09 likes this.
    08-24-11 10:12 AM
    I've read these exact words so often on Crackberry in the past week that I'm about to scrap the notion of getting the 9900.
    That and the classic "battery pull"!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-11 10:53 AM
    I disagree! New phone > Wedding. At least with the new phone, you're only under contract for 2yrs then you're free to do as you please!
    LOLOL.. I always said a marriage should be like a drivers license.. up for renewal every few years...
    08-24-11 11:09 AM
    Sorry to burst everyone's bubbly about the whole "demo device" idea, but when stores display working phones they get ONE of those demo devices, if there are more on display (which most have) they are pulled from actual inventory, the same things that get sold, there is absolutley NO difference between the demo's that are sent out and the devices that are being sold. thats why they get tested out in the market before being released.
    08-24-11 06:07 PM
    there is absolutley NO difference between the demo's that are sent out and the devices that are being sold.
    I don't think people are saying there are device differences. The difference is that one has had an unknown amount of people doing who knows what on it or to it and one is fresh out of the box with factory settings.
    08-24-11 06:27 PM
    Sorry to burst everyone's bubbly about the whole "demo device" idea, but when stores display working phones they get ONE of those demo devices, if there are more on display (which most have) they are pulled from actual inventory, the same things that get sold, there is absolutley NO difference between the demo's that are sent out and the devices that are being sold. thats why they get tested out in the market before being released.
    False. The display models do not work as regular devices do. I got told also by a T-Mo Rep friend of mine who told me someone stole a myTouch 4G display device, but that it was a useless steal because those don't work as the devices they sell. At least that's what I got told more than once...
    08-24-11 07:54 PM
    Well I know when I worked for AT&T sometimes we wouldnt even get a demo device and would have to pull one off the shelf for plan o gram
    08-26-11 03:30 PM
118 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD