I like the button on the playbook so I don't hit it by accident and turn it off and honestly as far as wifi only tabs go it's as good as any out there and yes it's missing some functionality that will be addressed and not given up on like some other manufacturer did.
    Excellent points. I love your take on the power button. I'm still not buying a PB until I can actually play with one and figure out what it might actually do for me, but you made me get over the button in 10 words.
    08-23-11 08:58 AM
    And did you BUY the phone after that realization?
    Nope, sure didn't. I don't know, maybe I'm weird. But when I pick something up, I more or less have a pretty good idea after a few minutes of use if it's something I'm going to be able to deal with or not. That's just me.

I think there is a difference in coming in here and saying "Guys I tried the 9900/9930 and it just didn't feel right" as opposed to the OP coming in here and completely bashing it due to one demo device that they used.
    We're more or less in agreement here. But even so, it's his opinion and it takes nothing away from how I feel about the device. He's entitled not to like it, and entitled to post about it. Him & I don't have to agree.
    08-23-11 09:20 AM
    You must have insanley chubby fingers if you keep on accidentally hit the touch screen, I have chubby/big fingers myself and can honestly say I havnt once hit the touch screen white using the trackpad.

On my initial testing in the o2 shop here I wasnt sure on the touch screen, I came from an iPhone 4 so there was some adjustment.

With the battery life and different features like PIN, BBM and the keyboard im honestly glad I upgraded from the iPhone 4.

This thing is a beast!
    08-23-11 09:23 AM
    You must have insanley chubby fingers if you keep on accidentally hit the touch screen, I have chubby/big fingers myself and can honestly say I havnt once hit the touch screen white using the trackpad.

On my initial testing in the o2 shop here I wasnt sure on the touch screen, I came from an iPhone 4 so there was some adjustment.

With the battery life and different features like PIN, BBM and the keyboard im honestly glad I upgraded from the iPhone 4.

This thing is a beast!
    I can't deny a little chub around the waist of my 37 year old frame, but my fingers are in good shape. My hands aren't tiny, though, so maybe my thumb is long enough as to inevitably land too close to the screen when using the trackpad.
    08-23-11 09:51 AM
    Excellent points. I love your take on the power button. I'm still not buying a PB until I can actually play with one and figure out what it might actually do for me, but you made me get over the button in 10 words.
    I WONT buy a Playbook. In fact, I had a Blackberry rep give me one and I sold it on Craigslist. BB has as much business getting in the tablet market as Microsoft does getting into search engines.

When will companies learn that when they get away from their core business model and try to be everything to everyone it is the beginning of their end.

In and Out Burger has one of the shortest menus you'll find. They have a cheeseburger, double cheeseburger, fries and drinks on their menu. No western bacon guacamole double cheese burgers on their menu. They don't have a kids menu and dont have a kidde playground out front. In and Out keeps building more stores and the lines are literally out in the street. They keep it simple and it works. They build a popular, quality product and keep it at that. They do what they do best and let everyone else jam their menus to the point that you walk in and can't make a decision.

BB has tried to satisfy every niche by creating a phone for everyone. Apple keeps their menu simple by offering one flavor of iPhone in two colors (white or black) and you can get it single or double sized (16 or 32GB). If you can't afford it, they will also sell you last year's model in the kid's size. It's by no means the perfect phone but people line up to buy them.

Oh, and last time I looked, Apple was doing OK. You can use the argument that Apple also sells computers. However, iPod sales drove the public into their stores and made Apple more appealing to the mainstream public. The iPhone furthered their place into the mainstream and drove profits off the charts. You can again argue that Apple sells the iPad. It's a tablet computer and seeing that Apple originated as a computer company, it actually IS their core product.

If RIM want's to "survive", they need to become more exclusive again and stop trying to please everyone and shorten their menu. I still can't figure out why there was a need for a purple Curve...
    08-23-11 09:57 AM
    I WONT buy a Playbook. In fact, I had a Blackberry rep give me one and I sold it on Craigslist. BB has as much business getting in the tablet market as Microsoft does getting into search engines.

When will companies learn that when they get away from their core business model and try to be everything to everyone it is the beginning of their end.

In and Out Burger has one of the shortest menus you'll find. They have a cheeseburger, double cheeseburger, fries and drinks on their menu. No western bacon guacamole double cheese burgers on their menu. They don't have a kids menu and dont have a kidde playground out front. In and Out keeps building more stores and the lines are literally out in the street. They keep it simple and it works. They build a popular, quality product and keep it at that. They do what they do best and let everyone else jam their menus to the point that you walk in and can't make a decision.

BB has tried to satisfy every niche by creating a phone for everyone. Apple keeps their menu simple by offering one flavor of iPhone in two colors (white or black) and you can get it single or double sized (16 or 32GB). If you can't afford it, they will also sell you last year's model in the kid's size. It's by no means the perfect phone but people line up to buy them.

Oh, and last time I looked, Apple was doing OK. You can use the argument that Apple also sells computers. However, iPod sales drove the public into their stores and made Apple more appealing to the mainstream public. The iPhone furthered their place into the mainstream and drove profits off the charts. You can again argue that Apple sells the iPad. It's a tablet computer and seeing that Apple originated as a computer company, it actually IS their core product.

If RIM want's to "survive", they need to become more exclusive again and stop trying to please everyone and shorten their menu. I still can't figure out why there was a need for a purple Curve...
    Cool, no need to buy one if you don't like it. That is called choice. BTW do you also like the idea of everyone looking the same (being the same color) and all using the same things and wearing the same clothes?

A bit over the top but you get the point.
    08-23-11 10:05 AM
    Cool, no need to buy one if you don't like it. That is called choice. BTW do you also like the idea of everyone looking the same (being the same color) and all using the same things and wearing the same clothes?

A bit over the top but you get the point.
    You clearly didn't get my point. Either that or you were offended by my comment about your purple Curve.
    08-23-11 10:11 AM
    Some people here need therapy.
    08-23-11 10:31 AM
    You clearly didn't get my point. Either that or you were offended by my comment about your purple Curve.
    LOL no I have a pink one! I did get your point. Apple should stick to making everything they make and never try anything new and RIM should do the same. Wait didn't apple start out making computers, I guess they should've stuck with that and they would be much better off now then they are.

I don't know why some of the android phone makers are making them with keyboards, silly.
    08-23-11 10:32 AM
    yup, apple`s first few years in the mobile phone space have been a disaster lol.

and maybe we shouldnt forget google, who had nothing to do with mobile OS`s, yet now look at android!

i dont think you can unilaterally apply your statement to every company
    Last edited by BBThemes; 08-23-11 at 10:57 AM.
    08-23-11 10:33 AM
    Your point was missed on purpose
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 08-23-11 at 12:42 PM.
    08-23-11 10:49 AM

LOL
    Yea, if RIMM wants to survive...They better talk to the 50 million plus users and their scant 20 billion in revenue, eh?...And that's just selling phones...No computers, no iTouches, and no iTunes...Not bad with a "simple menu" eh?

You got it reversed I might add, about the simplicity part, but thanks for validating RIMM business model.
    08-23-11 11:45 AM
    Why oh why did you not just get a Torch? All you wanted was a larger screen, autofocus camera and no metal band....it seems.
    08-23-11 12:26 PM
    This is the world of RIM...A few steps forward...on paper, then a few steps back in reality! Overall, the phone is pretty good! I feel some of your pain and some of your objections about the phone. However, I'm an original Bold 9000 user, and always said...that phone with a touch screen would be awesome...RIM delivered...very late I may add, and yes once u get through a major walk through, you realize short comings are present. But your best bet would be to judge the phone from a weeks worth of use on your personal one instead of a demo, which has been worked to death...just my 2 cents! Remember, if your not happy, you can always return : )

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-11 12:39 PM
    I stopped by a Sprint store on the way home from work to test try the 9930. @Sprotline you are right I'm a Curve owner and I absolutely love this device. I tried pinch to zoom on the browser but didn't experience anything weird. This doesn't mean the problem described by the OP doesn't exist. However, I also tried double tap on the section of text I wanted to read and it zoomed in to that region of text as I expected. Being with the Curve for over 2 years now and the keyboard is essential for me. I absolutely love the keyboard on the 9930. I agree the trackpad is kind of close to the screen and I think it's because RIM tried to maximize the size of screen on the same real estate. I can live with that.
    Another awesome discovery for me personally was that OS7 supports two different types of input methods in Vietnamese. I'm using OS5 on my Curve Javelin and I have to use Autotext trick to be able to type Vietnamese.
    I use font BBAlpha Serif size 7 on my Curve so I went ahead and changed the font on the 9900 to see how it would look. It looks so crisp and I get event more screen real estate.
    08-23-11 12:42 PM
    Some people here need therapy.
    Priceless!

08-23-11 12:59 PM
    Really? The scraping feel around the phone? lol wtf. I stopped reading your post after that sentence.
    You have 14 days to return the phone, try it for more than 10 mins, I'm sure it's somewhat of an upgrade from your storm.

May you and your wife have a blessed wedding and hope she is just as anal as you.
    08-23-11 02:31 PM
    You could said all of this and not used so many words. 90% of the readers here will not get past the first line.

Sorry you did not like, well no I am not sorry.

Just move and find what makes you happy.
    08-23-11 02:34 PM
    I think, for a lot of people, the purchases they make become part of their ego. They want to maintain the idea that they made the best choice possible, because they think that choice is some kind of mirror image of their intelligence. Nobody wants to admit that they bought something that's not all it's cracked up to be, or worse still, a dud. So whenever someone slams their beloved purchase, they get all defensive and act as if it's a direct attack on themselves instead of their device.

With the 9900/30 it's even worse, because of the intense hype that led up to the phone. I think everyone here thought (or desperately hoped) that it was going to be the most perfect Blackberry ever, without allowing themselves to entertain the idea that it would invariably come shipped with various negative qualities too.

I think this hype has very much affected me. I don't have a 9900 yet and haven't even played with one, but already I'm very disappointed that so many people aren't happy with it. To be honest the things people are complaining about are exactly the kind of things which would depress and annoy me too. Perhaps if I hadn't listened to any of the hype, perhaps if I had gone into the store for my yearly upgrade and was told "here is the new Bold, it's somewhat better than the last one," I would be extremely happy with what they gave me. But now, my mind is in "must have the most amazing phone in the world" mode and so I'm probably going to check out the new iPhone 5 when that comes out.

But in the back of my mind, I suspect that I'll probably get it, be very impressed for a couple of weeks, get p-ssed with it, bring it back, and get the Bold, lol.

But I have to go through with it, because quite frankly I cannot control myself
    Don't, don't believe the hype! Public Ennemy song listen to the lyrics.
    08-23-11 03:59 PM
    No offense OP, but a lot of times it is the tone of the post that gets people flamed and not the content.
    08-23-11 04:18 PM
    No offense OP, but a lot of times it is the tone of the post that gets people flamed and not the content.
    None taken. I'm guilty of expectations. My expectations weren't delivered. I was extremely disappointed especially after all the great things everyone CrackBerry was saying about this phone. This phone may or may not be the device for me, but I'm willing to risk the restocking fee to try it out for a bit and see if I can agree with anyone. But, on the other hand, my criticisms were legit. Crapy Demo or not, it was brand new sitting on display for me to play with. I'll admit, the keyboard was sweet, but the rest of it wasn't anything to dream about. I expect RIM to impress me at this point. I spent $230 on it which is a higher price than most carriers are offering it for, and $230 isn't really top-of-the-line. I'll pay top dollar for a device I'm going to be excited about. And, yet, I'm still hanging onto a Storm2 waiting for my next phone to exist. I have serious concerns about the overall design and function of the Bold, and I'm going to voice those concerns here. I've been loyal to BlackBerry and Crackberry for a long time. Nothing I''ve said, however, justifies some of the remarks I've read here, though. I appreciate those who have provided insight and perspective. I'm not here to waste my time by taking prejudice comments personally.

Last edited by deke09; 08-23-11 at 06:46 PM.
    anon3396357 likes this.
    08-23-11 05:50 PM
    I agree with some other posts, find something that doesn't suck so bad......me, I'll be rockin out on my Bold 9930........Holla!
    08-23-11 05:57 PM
    I'm quite certain, if fact, I would rather use my S2 than a 9930, but I'm not saying the S2 is better. I'm just saying the 9930 is not worth living with short-term or long-term. If a QNX phone is going to come out in a few months I'll be left paying full price for it. The Bold did not impress me nearly enough. As far as the PlayBook, that's another story. First off, the 3 models in BestBuy (the only place I can purchase one) would not turn on. This is BestBuy's fault, but they can't seem to keep them 1. charged, and 2. connected to the internet. Long story short, I haven't been able to play with one to decide if I like it. Also, that tiny little sad excuse for a power button? Really? And, secondly, what if my next phone isn't a BlackBerry? How much is the PB worth to me then?
    I agree, everywhere I see the PB displayed it's either got a dead battery or the software is from launch day......no love for the PB!
    08-23-11 06:05 PM
    ...I didn't feel any pressure to step aside because no one else in the store had any interest in the 9930.

Very true when I played with the 9900 this past Sunday at the Sprint Store. I was there for awhile playing with it and not one person was waiting to play with it. A girl (looked maybe 13 or so) told her dad, "oh those are just BlackBerrys" and then pulled her dad to look at the Androids.

I snapped some pics of the 9900 spec sheet too and the pics didn't look good.

I think I saw a tumble weed blow by the BlackBerry display too. No seriously though, RIM should really feel concerned as their brand just doesn't seem to be connecting with the masses.
    deke09 likes this.
    08-23-11 06:06 PM
    I agree with some other posters that the OP is mad at himself because he only gave himself 10 minutes to make up his mind to authur such a long post on the device but we have to remember one thing... I don't care what device RIM puts out, everyone here has their own subjective opinion, good or bad and there is always going to be controversy with the device.

Let's all wait to see what happens with bug fixes and updates before everyone says they are on their 5th one...lol. If at that point you are after the 2 week period anyway and own it so you will have to get use to learning and working with the device as I have so far with the 9930. Like anything especially with touch screen that we are no use to i am getting use to it and watching my finger placement and I will say that the device is NOT perfect but nonetheless a great device.
    08-23-11 06:14 PM
118 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD