It's not the reasons, its the condescending tone that you say it in. "Let's be real..."

If you were to make a post with the same complaints but without the attitude and tone, you probably wouldn't be getting the same flack as this thread is getting.

And who knows, another 20 minutes with it and maybe you'll flipflop back to wanting the thing.. You deserve a restocking fee...
    08-23-11 12:53 AM
    Seriously, "life-changing?" I just want a new phone that works man... A lot of people love this phone. I played with it for a few minutes yesterday. I went back today, played with it for a few more and ordered it. I played with it a lot more after I ordered it cuz I had nothing else to do. This is where I go to express my disappointment in the over-rated, 3G, silly touch-screen flop of a device I played with in a store that I walked into today. A single device that doesn't deserve to be called a Bold.
    WOW after all the ranting and raving you came up with the only rational conclusion....at the end of the day isn't it what we all want from a 'SMARTPHONE'...a device "that meets my needs". You may not have made the ' best choice' but you made THE choice for you. GOOD FOR YOU!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-11 12:56 AM
    Why will I not be surprised if you feel the same way about your Fiance the day after the wedding!
    Let's hope for her sake he lasts longer than 10 minutes with her.
    08-23-11 12:59 AM
    Phone works perfectly for me. Kills any other blackberry I've ever used and stacks up against the competition imo. Everyone I've shown it to really likes it. iPhone fans are pleasantly surprised and other BB users are ecstatic about it.

Sorry it wasn't the right thing for you... and I feel your complaints, but I haven't really seen much concrete evidence. The phone definitely doesn't suck no matter how you look at it... its all user preference, but its selling big so it can't be as bad as you say.
    08-23-11 01:01 AM
    Wow, some of you people kill me. I guess I'm the only the only one who's ever picked up a phone and more or less realized instinctively, this isn't the phone for me. So while it might be the phone for you, doesn't mean others are entitled to feel the same way. Different strokes for different folks.
    I myself like the 9900. But that doesn't mean I dismiss a person who doesn't as an ***** or dip****. Get a grip.
    Hey, I feel 'ya bro! Kinda how I feel every time I go to an Apple Store and pick up an iPhone or a Best Buy and pick up the latest flavor of the week Android...
    08-23-11 01:04 AM
    I'm keeping mine but yeah, it is highly over-rated at this point.

Same apps.

Bad camera.

Inefficient touscscreen.

But, I simply refuse Droids and iPhones. So, I will stick with the 9930.

There is nothing this phone does that is miles beyond my 9700.

Email, a little web, AP News, text messages. LoL. That's all I need. But, the camera truly frikken blows. A huge bummer for me as I have tons of people that follow my FB pic uploads.

Nothing "miles beyond my 9700"? That's because you have girl hands. Grow some man hands and you'll appreciate the bigger keypad more.

Bad camera? It's a CELL PHONE! Want pretty hi-res photos? One word - NIKON! (Or Canon, whatever...)
    08-23-11 01:08 AM
    Wow, some of you people kill me. I guess I'm the only the only one who's ever picked up a phone and more or less realized instinctively, this isn't the phone for me.
    And did you BUY the phone after that realization?
    08-23-11 01:08 AM
    I still believe RIM will be gobbled up in the future, by 2015.

Wow. Another Nostradamus...

Does it matter? The world ends in 2012 anyway, so who cares....
    1425956 likes this.
    08-23-11 01:11 AM
    It's not the reasons, its the condescending tone that you say it in. "Let's be real..."

If you were to make a post with the same complaints but without the attitude and tone, you probably wouldn't be getting the same flack as this thread is getting.

And who knows, another 20 minutes with it and maybe you'll flipflop back to wanting the thing.. You deserve a restocking fee...
    I completely agree; I deserve a restocking fee. Condescending? I don't agree with your interpretation. I'm, at the least, an amateur photographer. I don't expect much from a lens built into a phone. I meant to explain plainly, this device couldn't take a decent photograph of the sign directly next to the phone. It was not acceptable in terms of today's standards of camera phones. I cannot use it. Of course I have an attitude. I want a new phone. I bought a new phone. Blindly spent $230 on the thing.
    08-23-11 01:13 AM
    I completely agree; I deserve a restocking fee. Condescending? I don't agree with your interpretation. I'm, at the least, an amateur photographer. I don't expect much from a lens built into a phone. I meant to explain plainly, this device couldn't take a decent photograph of the sign directly next to the phone. It was not acceptable in terms of today's standards of camera phones. I cannot use it. Of course I have an attitude. I want a new phone. I bought a new phone. Blindly spent $230 on the thing.
    That was your problem right there

---

Wait... just saw that you are comparing the device to a Storm2.

Might be a touch screen thing, so are you going to wait for the Torch 9850? That may be the device for you.

But, unless you somehow magically improved your Storm2, the 9930 is WORLDS apart. IMO, the physical keys click like the Surepress screen, and the screensize on the Bold really isn't that bad, its obviously smaller, but its wider and for some reason the smaller size length-wise doesn't effect me that much. But really, I was pulling my S2 battery at least once a day, screen froze on me, screen wobbled, OS was extremely SLOW, I could be stuck in an app for minutes before it closed, I always got that spinning black clock, it was a disgrace to use with my friends and their iPhones and even the older Bold 96XX/97XX series devices. And I went through a few S2s... problems with all of them. Finally moved onto a refurb 9650 and really enjoyed it. Screen was really small though. 9930 completely satisfies my BB needs. This device is perfect for me. And if you are looking for touch screen and like how the BB operates, the Torch 9810 or the Torch 9850 should be perfect for you.
    BUT, if not, then lets face it, the BlackBerry platform itself just isn't for you. You will just keep wanting more and only complain about your device instead of using up what it has to offer.
    08-23-11 01:14 AM
    Nothing "miles beyond my 9700"? That's because you have girl hands. Grow some man hands and you'll appreciate the bigger keypad more.

Bad camera? It's a CELL PHONE! Want pretty hi-res photos? One word - NIKON! (Or Canon, whatever...)
    Love my D-90
    08-23-11 01:15 AM
    I think, for a lot of people, the purchases they make become part of their ego. They want to maintain the idea that they made the best choice possible, because they think that choice is some kind of mirror image of their intelligence. Nobody wants to admit that they bought something that's not all it's cracked up to be, or worse still, a dud. So whenever someone slams their beloved purchase, they get all defensive and act as if it's a direct attack on themselves instead of their device.

With the 9900/30 it's even worse, because of the intense hype that led up to the phone. I think everyone here thought (or desperately hoped) that it was going to be the most perfect Blackberry ever, without allowing themselves to entertain the idea that it would invariably come shipped with various negative qualities too.

I think this hype has very much affected me. I don't have a 9900 yet and haven't even played with one, but already I'm very disappointed that so many people aren't happy with it. To be honest the things people are complaining about are exactly the kind of things which would depress and annoy me too. Perhaps if I hadn't listened to any of the hype, perhaps if I had gone into the store for my yearly upgrade and was told "here is the new Bold, it's somewhat better than the last one," I would be extremely happy with what they gave me. But now, my mind is in "must have the most amazing phone in the world" mode and so I'm probably going to check out the new iPhone 5 when that comes out.

But in the back of my mind, I suspect that I'll probably get it, be very impressed for a couple of weeks, get p-ssed with it, bring it back, and get the Bold, lol.

But I have to go through with it, because quite frankly I cannot control myself
    A lot of what you said is spot on. People have become spoiled and more difficult to please. It's also a media driven world and the hype machines work overtime.

I feel the same way about an OSX Lion upgrade. I went to the Apple App store and saw thousands of glowing reviews and a few people complaining about how it didn't live up to the hype, was a waste of money or made their computer run slower. In the end, I'm staying on Snow Leopard because since it works, I don't need to fix what isn't broken.

Welcome to 2011.
    08-23-11 01:20 AM
    Wow, some of you people kill me. I guess I'm the only the only one who's ever picked up a phone and more or less realized instinctively, this isn't the phone for me. So while it might be the phone for you, doesn't mean others are entitled to feel the same way. Different strokes for different folks.
    I myself like the 9900. But that doesn't mean I dismiss a person who doesn't as an ***** or dip****. Get a grip.
    I think there is a difference in coming in here and saying "Guys I tried the 9900/9930 and it just didn't feel right" as opposed to the OP coming in here and completely bashing it due to one demo device that they used.
    08-23-11 05:53 AM
    I went into the Verizon store today and ordered the 9930 to replace my Storm2. My fiance and I are getting married in 2 weeks. The plan was to get each other Tablets as wedding gifts. She wants an iPad, and I figured the Playbook would make me happy. So, to further add to the excitement, I ordered the 9930 to pair with the Playbook. Then, as I waited for her to show up after work, I kept playing with the 9930 display model. 10 minutes later, I got pissed at myself for ordering the device before I gave myself 10 minutes to play with it. This phone, IMHO, is not worth the $230 I had to pay, plus the loss of an upgrade. First off, for all the "quality" that's supposedly been built into the phone I'm not as impressed as I expected myself to be. I don't like the scraping feel on the edge of the metal band near the keyboard and screen. And for whatever reason, I felt it too often. Yes, I know, a case will solve that problem. But should it have to? The metal band, IN NO WAY, compares to the look and feel of the iPhone. And the volume buttons aren't metal either! Cheap plastic! The touchscreen so near to the trackpad is absolute frustration. I activated the touchscreen way too often while using the trackpad. Mind you, I wasn't trying to power my way through any of the selections. I was taking my time with it. As I thought I was becoming more comfortable, I tried to cruise through a little more casually, but the screen would inevitably do something I didn't intend it to do. The touchscreen in general makes this phone much more inefficient. Another example: I loaded up a web page and played with the pinch-to-zoom. Bizarre behavior. I would pinch and it would zoom, but after landing my thumb on the page to adjust its position on the screen it became highly unpredictable and unreliable. It would zoom in too close or zoom out completely. I'd put my finger back on the screen, and again, nothing predictable. It never did exactly what I wanted it to. Absolutely the worst touch screen experience I've ever had on any device...including my Storm2. I've had the Storm series for three years now. I'm exhausted from the lack of precise navigation. And since I'm a Storm/Touchscreen user (I also have an iPod Touch, and have tried a Samsung Charge) I feel very little "need" to reunite myself with the physical keyboard, at this point. Further, as its been mentioned here often, I also have very little motivation to get a new device with a poor selection of apps. I'm not an app person to any great extent, but at least I know I won't have to wait for compatible versions of any of the apps I have on my S2. My Storm2, though from the dark ages, is still organized. I want more, not less. And, though I have to wait for the hardware to catch up to my brain most of the time, it still delivers the information I want in as little as 2 or 3 clicks.

And let's be real. The camera blows. I took a photo of the price and specs page next to the device. The blur was unacceptable. I take pictures like that everyday for work. I don't need great photos. I have a great camera for those. But, I do benefit from taking decent photos with my phone and quickly attaching them to an email.

This is so depressing, but I'll wait to check out the QNX "Superphone"...

Oh, I think I'll pass on the Playbook for now, too... I was ready to blow a grand today. You suck, RIM.
    * Wall of text crit's you
    * You die
    08-23-11 06:02 AM
    tablets as a wedding gift is hilarious hahaha
    08-23-11 06:44 AM
    The OP is entitled to his opinion about the device. If it doesn't fit his needs, then don't get it. Go for something else, or wait for the QNX superphone. Whatever.

The only part of the initial "review" that I take exception to is this:

And the volume buttons aren't metal either! Cheap plastic!
    I've had the Storm series for three years now.
    Not really sure how this part would bother you. I've also had both Storms, still have the Storm 2 in fact, and they both have "Cheap plastic" volume buttons. As well as "cheap plastic" convenience keys (the Storms had two actually, instead of one), a "cheap plastic" mute button, as well as a "cheap plastic" lock button. How is this a problem? Really? Doesn't seem to have bothered you in the past "three years", so why now?
    08-23-11 06:49 AM
    Hey everyone, I just bought a shirt from Banana Republic online. I tried it on, but I didn't like how it fit. I'm returning it today.... just thought you would like to know.
    Have a nice day!
    morrsn likes this.
    08-23-11 07:02 AM
    Why will I not be surprised if you feel the same way about your Fiance the day after the wedding!
    How disgusting can someone get -_-
    08-23-11 07:03 AM
    I went into the Verizon store today and ordered the 9930 to replace my Storm2. My fiance and I are getting married in 2 weeks. The plan was to get each other Tablets as wedding gifts. She wants an iPad, and I figured the Playbook would make me happy. So, to further add to the excitement, I ordered the 9930 to pair with the Playbook. Then, as I waited for her to show up after work, I kept playing with the 9930 display model. 10 minutes later, I got pissed at myself for ordering the device before I gave myself 10 minutes to play with it. This phone, IMHO, is not worth the $230 I had to pay, plus the loss of an upgrade. First off, for all the "quality" that's supposedly been built into the phone I'm not as impressed as I expected myself to be. I don't like the scraping feel on the edge of the metal band near the keyboard and screen. And for whatever reason, I felt it too often. Yes, I know, a case will solve that problem. But should it have to? The metal band, IN NO WAY, compares to the look and feel of the iPhone. And the volume buttons aren't metal either! Cheap plastic! The touchscreen so near to the trackpad is absolute frustration. I activated the touchscreen way too often while using the trackpad. Mind you, I wasn't trying to power my way through any of the selections. I was taking my time with it. As I thought I was becoming more comfortable, I tried to cruise through a little more casually, but the screen would inevitably do something I didn't intend it to do. The touchscreen in general makes this phone much more inefficient. Another example: I loaded up a web page and played with the pinch-to-zoom. Bizarre behavior. I would pinch and it would zoom, but after landing my thumb on the page to adjust its position on the screen it became highly unpredictable and unreliable. It would zoom in too close or zoom out completely. I'd put my finger back on the screen, and again, nothing predictable. It never did exactly what I wanted it to. Absolutely the worst touch screen experience I've ever had on any device...including my Storm2. I've had the Storm series for three years now. I'm exhausted from the lack of precise navigation. And since I'm a Storm/Touchscreen user (I also have an iPod Touch, and have tried a Samsung Charge) I feel very little "need" to reunite myself with the physical keyboard, at this point. Further, as its been mentioned here often, I also have very little motivation to get a new device with a poor selection of apps. I'm not an app person to any great extent, but at least I know I won't have to wait for compatible versions of any of the apps I have on my S2. My Storm2, though from the dark ages, is still organized. I want more, not less. And, though I have to wait for the hardware to catch up to my brain most of the time, it still delivers the information I want in as little as 2 or 3 clicks.

And let's be real. The camera blows. I took a photo of the price and specs page next to the device. The blur was unacceptable. I take pictures like that everyday for work. I don't need great photos. I have a great camera for those. But, I do benefit from taking decent photos with my phone and quickly attaching them to an email.

Oh, I think I'll pass on the Playbook for now, too... I was ready to blow a grand today. You suck, RIM.
    ..........10 char
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 08-23-11 at 07:08 AM.
    08-23-11 07:05 AM
    Why isn't there a 'dislike' button, because you totally deserve it.
    08-23-11 07:07 AM

First of all, thanks for writing this review. It is obvious that a BB fanboy would rail on you and diss on you for being so negative about the 9900. Personally I would take any review with a pinch of salt (whether good or bad) since everyone is unique and have their own needs and wants. Some may question why you take the time to write a review on a phone you dislike, while they take the time to write a post to shoot you down for disliking it. Anyway if I took a 9900 demo unit and felt that the touchscreen is fine, it does not mean your review is a load of bull since you have your own preferences. I just marvel at the throng of fanboys coming in to defend their purchase of the 9900 and even going so far as to reel in your fiance into the argument.
    1425956 and deke09 like this.
    08-23-11 07:17 AM
    Same experience at sprint. No new blackberries out and asked if they had any. The sprint tech guy had one as his personal phone. Played around a bit. I found the touchscreen to be worthless and not responsive. Keyboatd was only a small upgrade from my 9000

08-23-11 07:24 AM
    this thread is roflable
    08-23-11 07:25 AM
    The only comments I have are every phone isn't for everyone and I like the button on the playbook so I don't hit it by accident and turn it off and honestly as far as wifi only tabs go it's as good as any out there and yes it's missing some functionality that will be addressed and not given up on like some other manufacturer did.
    deke09 likes this.
    08-23-11 08:11 AM
    this thread is roflable
    This Thread would be half as long if people would stop quoting deke09's post. LOL

Last edited by experiment626; 08-23-11 at 08:35 AM.
    ericlc2 likes this.
    08-23-11 08:33 AM
118 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD