Meh my main gripe is with the battery, coming from a 9700, you will know what I mean. Oh and please stop it with the " Higher CPU " garbage and " dimensional restrictions ". The phone is wider, and lacking a autofocus. Your telling me in two years they couldn't get the battery to get better (spec wise), let alone actually be at least the same as it was on the 9700, instead it got worse? I don't think so pal. We got conned. Whatever though, no other choice so pick your poison it seems these days.
    08-22-11 10:35 PM
    I went into the Verizon store today and ordered the 9930 to replace my Storm2. My fiance and I are getting married in 2 weeks. The plan was to get each other Tablets as wedding gifts. She wants an iPad, and I figured the Playbook would make me happy. So, to further add to the excitement, I ordered the 9930 to pair with the Playbook. Then, as I waited for her to show up after work, I kept playing with the 9930 display model. 10 minutes later, I got pissed at myself for ordering the device before I gave myself 10 minutes to play with it. This phone, IMHO, is not worth the $230 I had to pay, plus the loss of an upgrade. First off, for all the "quality" that's supposedly been built into the phone I'm not as impressed as I expected myself to be. I don't like the scraping feel on the edge of the metal band near the keyboard and screen. And for whatever reason, I felt it too often. Yes, I know, a case will solve that problem. But should it have to? The metal band, IN NO WAY, compares to the look and feel of the iPhone. And the volume buttons aren't metal either! Cheap plastic! The touchscreen so near to the trackpad is absolute frustration. I activated the touchscreen way too often while using the trackpad. Mind you, I wasn't trying to power my way through any of the selections. I was taking my time with it. As I thought I was becoming more comfortable, I tried to cruise through a little more casually, but the screen would inevitably do something I didn't intend it to do. The touchscreen in general makes this phone much more inefficient. Another example: I loaded up a web page and played with the pinch-to-zoom. Bizarre behavior. I would pinch and it would zoom, but after landing my thumb on the page to adjust its position on the screen it became highly unpredictable and unreliable. It would zoom in too close or zoom out completely. I'd put my finger back on the screen, and again, nothing predictable. It never did exactly what I wanted it to. Absolutely the worst touch screen experience I've ever had on any device...including my Storm2. I've had the Storm series for three years now. I'm exhausted from the lack of precise navigation. And since I'm a Storm/Touchscreen user (I also have an iPod Touch, and have tried a Samsung Charge) I feel very little "need" to reunite myself with the physical keyboard, at this point. Further, as its been mentioned here often, I also have very little motivation to get a new device with a poor selection of apps. I'm not an app person to any great extent, but at least I know I won't have to wait for compatible versions of any of the apps I have on my S2. My Storm2, though from the dark ages, is still organized. I want more, not less. And, though I have to wait for the hardware to catch up to my brain most of the time, it still delivers the information I want in as little as 2 or 3 clicks.

And let's be real. The camera blows. I took a photo of the price and specs page next to the device. The blur was unacceptable. I take pictures like that everyday for work. I don't need great photos. I have a great camera for those. But, I do benefit from taking decent photos with my phone and quickly attaching them to an email.

This is so depressing, but I'll wait to check out the QNX "Superphone"...

Oh, I think I'll pass on the Playbook for now, too... I was ready to blow a grand today. You suck, RIM.
    Strongly disagree, next

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    damule6666 likes this.
    08-22-11 10:37 PM
    OP sounds like the ideal candidate for the Torch Touch
    Jaguarandine likes this.
    08-22-11 10:41 PM
    Wow, some of you people kill me. I guess I'm the only the only one who's ever picked up a phone and more or less realized instinctively, this isn't the phone for me. So while it might be the phone for you, doesn't mean others are entitled to feel the same way. Different strokes for different folks.
    I myself like the 9900. But that doesn't mean I dismiss a person who doesn't as an ***** or dip****. Get a grip.
    You get a grip. Your defending this clown in spite of his own last word.
    08-22-11 10:42 PM
    Its amazing though how far we're come since the 8100 Pearl.

That's when RIM 0wn3d the world. I remember calling my Dad screaming that I could take pictures on my Blackberry and email them.

Then a few months later the iPhone blows everyone's mind.

The 9930 is still an antique.

QNX is most likely vapourous. We'll see. I still believe RIM will be gobbled up in the future, by 2015.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-11 10:55 PM
    So you are basing your decision on a phone you played with for 10 minutes? .....and also not getting the playbook because of a 10 minute demo with something, which in no way, resembles the playbook? The 5 minutes I used the 9930 floor model I fell in love with it, maybe you didn't like it, so what? No one held a gun to you're head and told you purchase it. The playbook is an amazing tablet, the only one I would ever buy and I did. I've played with tons of iPads and I liked them but it wasn't for me. You cant say you aren't getting a playbook because you had a bad experience with a blackberry phone. You cant honestly expect me to believe you would rather use your S2 over the 9930. My girlfriend has the S2 and it is awful compared to the new bold. Its slow, the touch screen is terrible and the battery life is atrocious. You are just used to it, the bold is something completely different. You cant say RIM sucks because they didn't cater to your exact specs of what a perfect phone for you would be. You say it doesn't compare to the "look and feel" of the iPhone, in what way? Its not a rectangle? Its not all boring metal and glass? Or not every 15 year old gets one for their first cell phone? If you really want the "look and feel" of the iPhone then buy an iPhone. The one thing I will agree with in your post is that, yes, the camera really doesn't compare to older blackberrys/iPhone4's but thats it.

All in all its a fantastic device, for most. I am sorry you had a bad experience with one.
    I'm quite certain, if fact, I would rather use my S2 than a 9930, but I'm not saying the S2 is better. I'm just saying the 9930 is not worth living with short-term or long-term. If a QNX phone is going to come out in a few months I'll be left paying full price for it. The Bold did not impress me nearly enough. As far as the PlayBook, that's another story. First off, the 3 models in BestBuy (the only place I can purchase one) would not turn on. This is BestBuy's fault, but they can't seem to keep them 1. charged, and 2. connected to the internet. Long story short, I haven't been able to play with one to decide if I like it. Also, that tiny little sad excuse for a power button? Really? And, secondly, what if my next phone isn't a BlackBerry? How much is the PB worth to me then?
    08-22-11 11:04 PM
    I'll have to agree with everything you've said...
    08-22-11 11:05 PM
    Why will I not be surprised if you feel the same way about your Fiance the day after the wedding!
    Unlike BlackBerry, my fiance completely satisfies me...
    08-22-11 11:09 PM
    she made you type that ..
    damule6666 and morrsn like this.
    08-22-11 11:15 PM
    Wow, some of you people kill me. I guess I'm the only the only one who's ever picked up a phone and more or less realized instinctively, this isn't the phone for me. So while it might be the phone for you, doesn't mean others are entitled to feel the same way. Different strokes for different folks.
    I myself like the 9900. But that doesn't mean I dismiss a person who doesn't as an ***** or dip****. Get a grip.
    I don't care if people express the opinion that they don't like the phone or the phone isn't for them. I don't need a sense of validation from others about my phone choice. But the odd thing about the original post is that some of the criticisms don't jibe with the experience of the vast majority of others including people who've been critical of the phone. I mean who else hates the metal band and actually feels it poking them. Who else is troubled that the volume button are plastic. It is an opinion but it's bit weird to me honestly. Also, as someone who has owned 2 9530s, 2 9550s. iPod Touch of various generations, iPhone 4, Playbook and iPad, I disagree with him about the touchscreen on the 9930 but I can chalk that up to individual variations in how I contact the touchscreen versus how he does. It would be one thing if he merely said that he didn't like the lack of apps, didn't like the size of the touchscreen and didn't like the EDoF camera and so he wasn't going to get it but honestly his rant was getting into some weird criticisms so I can understand some incredulity and defensiveness from others. Hopefully he'll find the phone that suits him.
    08-22-11 11:17 PM
    I went into the Verizon store today and ordered the 9930 to replace my Storm2. My fiance and I are getting married in 2 weeks. The plan was to get each other Tablets as wedding gifts. She wants an iPad, and I figured the Playbook would make me happy. So, to further add to the excitement, I ordered the 9930 to pair with the Playbook. Then, as I waited for her to show up after work, I kept playing with the 9930 display model. 10 minutes later, I got pissed at myself for ordering the device before I gave myself 10 minutes to play with it. This phone, IMHO, is not worth the $230 I had to pay, plus the loss of an upgrade. First off, for all the "quality" that's supposedly been built into the phone I'm not as impressed as I expected myself to be. I don't like the scraping feel on the edge of the metal band near the keyboard and screen. And for whatever reason, I felt it too often. Yes, I know, a case will solve that problem. But should it have to? The metal band, IN NO WAY, compares to the look and feel of the iPhone. And the volume buttons aren't metal either! Cheap plastic! The touchscreen so near to the trackpad is absolute frustration. I activated the touchscreen way too often while using the trackpad. Mind you, I wasn't trying to power my way through any of the selections. I was taking my time with it. As I thought I was becoming more comfortable, I tried to cruise through a little more casually, but the screen would inevitably do something I didn't intend it to do. The touchscreen in general makes this phone much more inefficient. Another example: I loaded up a web page and played with the pinch-to-zoom. Bizarre behavior. I would pinch and it would zoom, but after landing my thumb on the page to adjust its position on the screen it became highly unpredictable and unreliable. It would zoom in too close or zoom out completely. I'd put my finger back on the screen, and again, nothing predictable. It never did exactly what I wanted it to. Absolutely the worst touch screen experience I've ever had on any device...including my Storm2. I've had the Storm series for three years now. I'm exhausted from the lack of precise navigation. And since I'm a Storm/Touchscreen user (I also have an iPod Touch, and have tried a Samsung Charge) I feel very little "need" to reunite myself with the physical keyboard, at this point. Further, as its been mentioned here often, I also have very little motivation to get a new device with a poor selection of apps. I'm not an app person to any great extent, but at least I know I won't have to wait for compatible versions of any of the apps I have on my S2. My Storm2, though from the dark ages, is still organized. I want more, not less. And, though I have to wait for the hardware to catch up to my brain most of the time, it still delivers the information I want in as little as 2 or 3 clicks.

And let's be real. The camera blows. I took a photo of the price and specs page next to the device. The blur was unacceptable. I take pictures like that everyday for work. I don't need great photos. I have a great camera for those. But, I do benefit from taking decent photos with my phone and quickly attaching them to an email.

This is so depressing, but I'll wait to check out the QNX "Superphone"...

Oh, I think I'll pass on the Playbook for now, too... I was ready to blow a grand today. You suck, RIM.
    Sounds like pre-wedding jitters to me.
    08-22-11 11:22 PM
    I think, for a lot of people, the purchases they make become part of their ego. They want to maintain the idea that they made the best choice possible, because they think that choice is some kind of mirror image of their intelligence. Nobody wants to admit that they bought something that's not all it's cracked up to be, or worse still, a dud. So whenever someone slams their beloved purchase, they get all defensive and act as if it's a direct attack on themselves instead of their device.

With the 9900/30 it's even worse, because of the intense hype that led up to the phone. I think everyone here thought (or desperately hoped) that it was going to be the most perfect Blackberry ever, without allowing themselves to entertain the idea that it would invariably come shipped with various negative qualities too.

I think this hype has very much affected me. I don't have a 9900 yet and haven't even played with one, but already I'm very disappointed that so many people aren't happy with it. To be honest the things people are complaining about are exactly the kind of things which would depress and annoy me too. Perhaps if I hadn't listened to any of the hype, perhaps if I had gone into the store for my yearly upgrade and was told "here is the new Bold, it's somewhat better than the last one," I would be extremely happy with what they gave me. But now, my mind is in "must have the most amazing phone in the world" mode and so I'm probably going to check out the new iPhone 5 when that comes out.

But in the back of my mind, I suspect that I'll probably get it, be very impressed for a couple of weeks, get p-ssed with it, bring it back, and get the Bold, lol.

But I have to go through with it, because quite frankly I cannot control myself
    Siiid, kwalia71, bhavi_jp and 3 others like this.
    08-22-11 11:25 PM
    I'm quite certain, if fact, I would rather use my S2 than a 9930, but I'm not saying the S2 is better. I'm just saying the 9930 is not worth living with short-term or long-term. If a QNX phone is going to come out in a few months I'll be left paying full price for it. The Bold did not impress me nearly enough. As far as the PlayBook, that's another story. First off, the 3 models in BestBuy (the only place I can purchase one) would not turn on. This is BestBuy's fault, but they can't seem to keep them 1. charged, and 2. connected to the internet. Long story short, I haven't been able to play with one to decide if I like it. Also, that tiny little sad excuse for a power button? Really? And, secondly, what if my next phone isn't a BlackBerry? How much is the PB worth to me then?

Did you really just complain about the power button on the playbook? I didnt realize when buying a tablet, you had to had something with an oversized power button, my mistake. The power button is fine the way it is, sure it could have been raised a bit more but who cares? You dont ever need to turn it off and if you do, it has an option for that in the OS. Dont use the "power button" as a vaild excuse for you not to buy it. What does it matter if you're next phone isn't a blackberry? The only difference is you wont be able to BBM from the playbook, native email is coming. What can you do with an iPhone and a iPad together? Nothing that comes close to the playbook (with a blackberry) Its still a tablet.
    08-22-11 11:28 PM
    I don't care if people express the opinion that they don't like the phone or the phone isn't for them. I don't need a sense of validation from others about my phone choice. But the odd thing about the original post is that some of the criticisms don't jibe with the experience of the vast majority of others including people who've been critical of the phone. I mean who else hates the metal band and actually feels it poking them. Who else is troubled that the volume button are plastic. It is an opinion but it's bit weird to me honestly. Also, as someone who has owned 2 9530s, 2 9550s. iPod Touch of various generations, iPhone 4, Playbook and iPad, I disagree with him about the touchscreen on the 9930 but I can chalk that up to individual variations in how I contact the touchscreen versus how he does. It would be one thing if he merely said that he didn't like the lack of apps, didn't like the size of the touchscreen and didn't like the EDoF camera and so he wasn't going to get it but honestly his rant was getting into some weird criticisms so I can understand some incredulity and defensiveness from others. Hopefully he'll find the phone that suits him.
    I'm quite aware of the criticisms, and you have a point. I haven't heard anyone complain about the metal band, for example. I have heard Captain Kevin compare it to the iPhone in a podcast. I felt the need to explain the difference in aesthetic quality. The look of the Bold is not quite as or perfect compared to the iPhone4's design. The marketing portraits had me believe otherwise. As far as touchscreen functionality, I can only hope the phone performs better on every other serial number than the one I experienced. It didn't make sense to me, either, compared to all the reviews. Its important to me there are disagreements to my story. I would prefer to be swayed into accepting the Bold from Fed Ex when it arrives on Wednesday. So far, I haven't been convinced. Lot's of "clown" chatter, though. High class in the CrackBerry forums all the way...
    08-22-11 11:33 PM
    I think, for a lot of people, the purchases they make become part of their ego. They want to maintain the idea that they made the best choice possible, because they think that choice is some kind of mirror image of their intelligence. Nobody wants to admit that they bought something that's not all it's cracked up to be, or worse still, a dud. So whenever someone slams their beloved purchase, they get all defensive and act as if it's a direct attack on themselves instead of their device.

With the 9900/30 it's even worse, because of the intense hype that led up to the phone. I think everyone here thought (or desperately hoped) that it was going to be the most perfect Blackberry ever, without allowing themselves to entertain the idea that it would invariably come shipped with various negative qualities too.

I think this hype has very much affected me. I don't have a 9900 yet and haven't even played with one, but already I'm very disappointed that so many people aren't happy with it. To be honest the things people are complaining about are exactly the kind of things which would depress and annoy me too. Perhaps if I hadn't listened to any of the hype, perhaps if I had gone into the store for my yearly upgrade and was told "here is the new Bold, it's somewhat better than the last one," I would be extremely happy with what they gave me. But now, my mind is in "must have the most amazing phone in the world" mode and so I'm probably going to check out the new iPhone 5 when that comes out.

But in the back of my mind, I suspect that I'll probably get it, be very impressed for a couple of weeks, get p-ssed with it, bring it back, and get the Bold, lol.

But I have to go through with it, because quite frankly I cannot control myself
    It's called Cognitive Dissonance.

Ppl look for validation of their investment otherwise they may feel left isolated and cheated. Whenever there's a chance to minimize this effect, it's a huge goal for companies.
    kwalia71 and 1425956 like this.
    08-22-11 11:36 PM
    To each his own, I don't know what you mean by the poor build quality. My 9930 is fine and I have had it for about a week now. (Ordered it online) the only thing that seems poor quality is where the bottom of the screen and the 5 buttons meet. I can feel the edge if you know what I mean. All in all it is you that will have to live with your purchase but I definitely think you should give it another try. To me this phone will be one of my all time favorites for whatever that's worth.
    deke09 likes this.
    08-22-11 11:37 PM
    I think, for a lot of people, the purchases they make become part of their ego. They want to maintain the idea that they made the best choice possible, because they think that choice is some kind of mirror image of their intelligence. Nobody wants to admit that they bought something that's not all it's cracked up to be, or worse still, a dud.
    Ahhh! A rational thinker making sense. Thankyou for posting what I have thought for a long time.
    08-22-11 11:38 PM
    Did you really just complain about the power button on the playbook? I didnt realize when buying a tablet, you had to had something with an oversized power button, my mistake. The power button is fine the way it is, sure it could have been raised a bit more but who cares? You dont ever need to turn it off and if you do, it has an option for that in the OS. Dont use the "power button" as a vaild excuse for you not to buy it. What does it matter if you're next phone isn't a blackberry? The only difference is you wont be able to BBM from the playbook, native email is coming. What can you do with an iPhone and a iPad together? Nothing that comes close to the playbook (with a blackberry) Its still a tablet.
    I guess that first question was rhetorical? (I suppose that question is, as well.) Yes, the power button was highly suspect. If I can't actually play with the device in the store (again, BestBuy's fault) the only thing left to look at is the shell. I have no idea when I'm supposed to turn the thing on or off. Based on my experience, do you completely blame me for not being sold on these devices?

Also, you sorta reinforced my point. Without a BlackBerry phone, its just another tablet. No GPS kinds sucks, though. Is Angry Birds available yet? I bet there's lots of folk wait'n for that Android App, eh?
    Last edited by deke09; 08-23-11 at 12:10 AM.
    08-22-11 11:40 PM
    If you didn't like the 9900/9930, you didn't like it. There no need to be convinced to keep it. Return it. Try out some other phones like the Droid Bionic, Galaxy S 2 or Celox, the iPhone 5, Nexus Prime or the Nokia Sea Ray whenever they launch in the next months. If you find you want the 9900/9930 then come back to BB. If you feel that one of the others suits you better then get that one. You should be happy with your phone. I'm happy with my 9930 because it meets my needs for a phone well but I don't demand that others get one.
    damule6666 and 1425956 like this.
    08-22-11 11:41 PM
    lots of people have made good points here about demo phones. they may have a zillion apps running in the background and who knows what else. the software on this phone zips. i find myself really maximizing the touchscreen.

before i got the phone, i was hoping you could lock it and not use it at all.
    deke09 likes this.
    08-22-11 11:42 PM
    Guilty. Its been almost 2 years since I've purchased a new BlackBerry, so I forgot what it was like when I signed those contracts and got left with the Storms. lol. But, at least I got through it. I'm starting to cringe each time I read or hear, "Its a new device. It will get worked out in future updates." Sure. I think I've got what, 2 or 3 updates total from Verizon for the S2 and its pretty much the same device when I got it with a few more apps. At this point, with the lifespan of a smartphone, the damn thing should be ready to go out-of-the-box. It should do what its supposed to do, and well. Yeah, I really thought after all the time RIM took to release these new devices, I was going to be rewarded. I'm glad so many people here love this phone. I just don't think they're getting all that much more than I already get on my S2. Believe it or not... prove me wrong.
    Last edited by deke09; 08-22-11 at 11:58 PM.
    kwalia71 likes this.
    08-22-11 11:52 PM
    Seriously, you didn't spend 10 minutes BEFORE this huge life-changing choice was made??? Are you planning on buying the replacement sight-unseen as well? Can't wait for that story...
    08-23-11 12:02 AM
    Seriously, you didn't spend 10 minutes BEFORE this huge life-changing choice was made??? Are you planning on buying the replacement sight-unseen as well? Can't wait for that story...
    Seriously, "life-changing?" I just want a new phone that works man... A lot of people love this phone. I played with it for a few minutes yesterday. I went back today, played with it for a few more and ordered it. I played with it a lot more after I ordered it cuz I had nothing else to do. This is where I go to express my disappointment in the over-rated, 3G, silly touch-screen flop of a device I played with in a store that I walked into today. A single device that doesn't deserve to be called a Bold.
    Last edited by deke09; 08-23-11 at 12:26 AM.
    08-23-11 12:19 AM
    Your rhetoric was so over the top, that its hard to take most of it realistically.

And let's be real. The camera blows.
    Yes, because other people are not being real, just protecting RIM from negativity, but you are being "real"... after 13 minutes with the device

You've spent 10x more time griping about it than you did test-driving it...
    08-23-11 12:32 AM
    Your rhetoric was so over the top, that its hard to take most of it realistically.

Yes, because other people are not being real, just protecting RIM from negativity, but you are being "real"... after 13 minutes with the device

You've spent 10x more time griping about it than you did test-driving it...
    Rhetoric isn't usually followed by insight. I explained my concerns with the camera following that part of the statement, and you did not include in it within your respective quote. Stellar. I do waste my time, don't I...
    08-23-11 12:42 AM
118 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD