They come in with several minutes (even sometimes hours) delay

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-09 11:10 AM
    gmails are instantaneous for me. My work email however is via outlook web access and I guess the polling period is a lot longer as I get a lot less email through the work account.
    08-17-09 11:14 AM
    Does it know how many emails you get through each acct and determine how often to check for new ones?

08-17-09 11:18 AM
    All of my emails come in immediately - so there must be some other reason why yours are not getting to you in a timely manner.

Peace...
    08-17-09 11:32 AM
    08-17-09 11:33 AM
    I'm on BES, and when I'm in the office, I almost always get my work email on my Bold before I get it on my computer.
    08-17-09 12:53 PM
    I get Gmail on my phone before I get it in my webmail. I also used to get another Gmail on my phone that was pushed from Lotus Notes before it appeared in LN. It's damned near instant.
    08-17-09 12:58 PM
    All my mail arrives instantly - and like others have said, my work email arrives on my phone before it enters my inbox. I only experience delays when there are RIM issues.

08-17-09 06:35 PM
    I also get my aol emails instantly.
    08-17-09 06:56 PM
    My gmail used to come in instantly, for the first few months after getting the Bold, but now it gets to my Bold anywhere from 2-15 minutes after I see it in my browser on my PC. This happened both on .167 OS and .266. I've re-sent service books multiple times and still there's the delay.
    08-18-09 03:15 AM
    My gmail used to come in instantly, for the first few months after getting the Bold, but now it gets to my Bold anywhere from 2-15 minutes after I see it in my browser on my PC. This happened both on .167 OS and .266. I've re-sent service books multiple times and still there's the delay.
    I was told that using the BIS with a work email that also runs outlook on a POP3, there is upto a 15 minute delay in receiving new emails..and that's the way it is for me.

08-18-09 07:44 AM
    This post in another thread explained it pretty well, imo.

Unfortunately for POP3 15 minutes is normal. BIS will only check every 15 minutes for new mail. With IMAP it will be instant.

The difference is with POP3 the client (in this case BIS) has to check the mailbox at a set period. IMAP this isn't needed.

It works something like this:
    POP3
    BIS: Excuse me sir, you got any email for me?
    POP: Nope
    BIS: Ok thank you, I'll check back in 15 minutes

IMAP

IMAP: HEY BIS, YOU GOT MAIL!
    08-18-09 11:17 AM
    I should've mentioned that I've got IMAP set up for my Gmail, which has been the case since the first week I got the phone. As I said it worked well before but now has the delay. I just checked my BIS settings and it's set to use imap.gmail.com, the server type is IMAP, and the port matches what gmail says to use, but there's still the delay. Did anyone set up IMAP for gmail but still get delays?
    08-19-09 01:09 AM
    gsm/cdma sometimes just crack. whenever i'm home/office/any wifi available places... i turn to wifi instead.
    08-19-09 03:19 AM
    I have configured 4 accounts with BIS in my Berry. Below is the response time.
    1. GMail(with POP): Instant
    2. Hotmail: Instant
    3. Officemail (with POP): Instant
    4. Rediffmail(with POP): delay of 5 to 10 mins...
    08-19-09 03:49 AM
    It seems some work better than others. I'm sure I read here that the carrier's BIS address was supposed to be near instant but when I put a re-direct on my emails to get them to forward to there it wasn't.

08-19-09 05:36 AM
    it really depends for me. Simple e-mails are received instantly.. html/attachments are received 5 minutes to an hour later.
    08-19-09 09:42 AM
    Check this...How BIS works..

When an email is sent to you, from another user it traverses the Internet until it gets to your email provider where it is stored in your mailbox and waits. The BlackBerry servers will periodically check that mailbox (provided you have added it to the device) for new messages.

The BIS itself will check for new messages every fifteen minutes by default. If it does find a new message, the message is compressed, and the first 2kb of data is then pushed to the device. For the next fifteen minutes, the BIS will check every three minutes for new mail. If no new mail is found within that second set of fifteen minutes, the server reverts to again checking once every fifteen minutes. As long as the server finds new mail within that time frame, it will continue to check every three minutes. This does not, however, apply to all email accounts. Gmail and Yahoo mail are two notable exceptions to this rule. The BIS remains constantly connected to these services, and will push new email automatically to the device, without the fifteen minute interval.
    08-20-09 04:04 AM
    Does that lead to a battery drain with Gmail

08-20-09 07:19 AM
    I do love my new bold, it is the best phone I have had..but that is some what disappointing, I was hoping my emails would come through as soon as they hit the server. As I am on pop3, I do have the delay.

08-20-09 09:29 AM
    Check this...How BIS works..

When an email is sent to you, from another user it traverses the Internet until it gets to your email provider where it is stored in your mailbox and waits. The BlackBerry servers will periodically check that mailbox (provided you have added it to the device) for new messages.

The BIS itself will check for new messages every fifteen minutes by default. If it does find a new message, the message is compressed, and the first 2kb of data is then pushed to the device. For the next fifteen minutes, the BIS will check every three minutes for new mail. If no new mail is found within that second set of fifteen minutes, the server reverts to again checking once every fifteen minutes. As long as the server finds new mail within that time frame, it will continue to check every three minutes. This does not, however, apply to all email accounts. Gmail and Yahoo mail are two notable exceptions to this rule. The BIS remains constantly connected to these services, and will push new email automatically to the device, without the fifteen minute interval.
    Nice explanation. The link in my sig expands on that.
    08-20-09 09:31 AM
    Anyone know what the deal is with OWA? Does BIS screen scrape an OWA session or what.
    08-20-09 09:35 AM
    how are you getting them ?

i have 1 exchange, and 5 pop emails on my bb. no problems at all.

usually exchange emails get to my phone before outlook (this is normal).

my pop email accounts are always really fast too. usually within 5 minutes of getting them in the actual account i'll have them on my bb,
    08-20-09 09:43 AM
    1. Battery drain would be be not an issue with even gmail also because its PUSH technology...
    2. Mails should reached instantly to device in case of gmail. I have tested it. I?f somebody has issue wipe the device and reconfigure the BIS account.
    3. For Exchange the mail delivery delay depends upon organization infrastructure..
    08-21-09 01:33 AM
    I have a gmail account and a yahoo account. When I first set them up(imap), they were both instant. Two weeks later, gmail stopped being instant. I took gmail off my BIS, set it up again and it was instant again. 2 weeks later though, it went back to having a sometimes huge delay. Kinda really bugs me

08-21-09 08:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD