Verizon's "Bold" is the Tour. But if RIM's new flagship device is the Onyx why wouldn't Verizon skip the Tour and pick up a CDMA Onyx?

**** why would RIM even create the Tour?
    06-21-09 10:15 PM
    I'm sure they choose the CDMA/GSM phones for the networks based on certain factors that works for RIM. I doubt they are just pulling names out of hats for what goes to what network based on hardware. Probably goes deeper then we know.
    06-21-09 10:36 PM
    Well the Bold was the evolution of the bread and butter Blackberry device. The Onyx being it's successor. Based on this the Tour seems to be out of line with the progression of things when they can just put out the CDMA Onyx for Verizon.
    06-21-09 10:40 PM
    rim is just trying to be a good business and provide all users with a favorable device
    06-21-09 10:42 PM
    how is the onyx supposed to be rim's flagship device? besides, there's no confirmation that there will be a cdma onyx. personally i can't wait for the tour.
    06-21-09 11:13 PM
    RIM can't "NOT" back the Tour in placement of the Onyx! The Tour is for CDMA and the Onyx is for GSM. I don't think the technology inside the Onyx is even possible on a CDMA ddevice which is why the Tour seems to lag behind.

If an Onyx came out for CDMA, then it probably wouldn't have wifi, probably would be forced to have a slower slighly less efficiant processor, and will have to have 2 radios instead of 1 making it hard to put in such a small form factor... oh wait... Did I just describe the Tour?
    06-22-09 06:45 PM
    Devices are also catered to specific carriers at specific times.
    06-22-09 07:10 PM
    yea people in the next two buisness quarters will flock to the tour, and poeple in the other two will flock to the onyx, also there are a ton of users for verizon that will use the tour for a very long time. simply put, they will keep putting out fresh gsm bb's to provide new product. it is almost like the question needs to be answered on two levels, because the onyx is a new phone for gsm based carriers. so the answer lays in the fact that the tour will be out first, and they are made for different platforms as well
    06-22-09 07:13 PM
    Well either way most major carriers are going to head to LTE as the 4G technology. So that places AT&T and Verizon on the same playing field.

Now that is good because 1.) RIM only has to develop one version of a new device, no more gsm and cdma versions, which of course saves RIM millions of development costs. 2.) Everyone on both carriers will enjoy the same great device (of course the carriers will fight to the teeth to see who gets the device first and how long the exclusivity period will be)
    06-22-09 07:37 PM
    Verizon's "Bold" is the Tour. But if RIM's new flagship device is the Onyx why wouldn't Verizon skip the Tour and pick up a CDMA Onyx?

**** why would RIM even create the Tour?
    I think verizon didn't have a bold, and just got a bold successor, so to speak. Cos the tour is better than the bold, kinda...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-09 05:23 PM
    I think verizon didn't have a bold, and just got a bold successor, so to speak. Cos the tour is better than the bold, kinda...

More app memory and a better camera doesn't mean better. The bold has a faster and better processor, wifi and the ability to be on the internet and phone at the same time. Now how is the tour be better?
    06-25-09 08:14 PM
    It's all about the Benjamin's Baby . . .
    06-25-09 08:33 PM
    The way I see it is that Verizon would have crippled the Onyx. So, RIM saved them the time of locking down the device and gave them an already "crippled" device.

06-25-09 09:40 PM
    More app memory and a better camera doesn't mean better. The bold has a faster and better processor, wifi and the ability to be on the internet and phone at the same time. Now how is the tour be better?
    Hmmm...you clearly don't know much about the Tour. The only significant con is lack of wifi and to me that isn't that big of a deal. The Tour has a better screen, smaller form factor, lighter, better camera(and dust free), more memory...it is basically a Bold 2.0...everything is better. I would choose the items that I listed as a higher priority before wifi.
    06-25-09 10:22 PM
    Do we know when the Onyx is going to be released... is it going to be At&t?
    06-25-09 10:26 PM
    New phones every 3 months
    06-25-09 10:33 PM
    so this will be released in 3 months...
    06-25-09 10:38 PM
    Hmmm...you clearly don't know much about the Tour. The only significant con is lack of wifi and to me that isn't that big of a deal. The Tour has a better screen, smaller form factor, lighter, better camera(and dust free), more memory...it is basically a Bold 2.0...everything is better. I would choose the items that I listed as a higher priority before wifi.
    How can the Tour be a Bold 2.0 when the original Bold has a more powerful processor than the Tour. The Tour doesn't have Wifi and is not able to simultaneously use voice and data at the same time. If anything the Onyx would be more likely to be considered the Bold 2.0 not the Tour.
    06-26-09 01:02 AM
    Two different branches imo.

But does the unbranded Tour have this all black finish too?

Still waiting for the 9020...
    06-26-09 03:20 AM

You're judging that based on what you're reading, and not on actual performance. What championart stated is correct. CDMA has a solution to the huge gap the Bold caused, but the Bold is still the flagship device. Onyx is the real Bold 2.0, not the Tour. Tour is 8830 2.0. You could go the Tour forums and read some of the reviews where people didn't see a huge difference compared to the 8900. That's very incorrect, but it shows you that it's no Bold. Don't take my words too seriously? Ask the man that some people praise in here, CX. He'll agree with me. CDMA will eventually have a device that finally surpassed the Bold but that's next year, and sadly it might not surpass the Bold.
    06-26-09 05:38 AM

You're judging that based on what you're reading, and not on actual performance. What championart stated is correct. CDMA has a solution to the huge gap the Bold caused, but the Bold is still the flagship device. Onyx is the real Bold 2.0, not the Tour. Tour is 8830 2.0. You could go the Tour forums and read some of the reviews where people didn't see a huge difference compared to the 8900. That's very incorrect, but it shows you that it's no Bold. Don't take my words too seriously? Ask the man that some people praise in here, CX. He'll agree with me. CDMA will eventually have a device that finally surpassed the Bold but that's next year, and sadly it might not surpass the Bold.
    Just wanted to say thanks for making this thread a civil and educated debate again! I really wish ppl would forget their carrier preference when comparing devices because it seems only the vzw die hards are the ppl defending the greatness of the tour, same went for the 8900 crowd b4 it came to at&t, and yes even the bold junkies. I think we should stop the petty arguments about phone and push for the carriers and phone manufactures to catch up with japan, its just stupid that the most powerful country and the only one to put a man on the moon isn't as technologically advanced as any other! Sorry for the rant just tired of the childish arguments.

Last edited by kentusmc; 06-26-09 at 06:10 AM.
    06-26-09 06:06 AM
    How can the Tour be a Bold 2.0 when the original Bold has a more powerful processor than the Tour. The Tour doesn't have Wifi and is not able to simultaneously use voice and data at the same time. If anything the Onyx would be more likely to be considered the Bold 2.0 not the Tour.
    What does the bolded statement mean? Are you saying if you are on the internet, your phone will not accept calls or even alert you when you have one?
    06-26-09 01:34 PM
    What does the bolded statement mean? Are you saying if you are on the internet, your phone will not accept calls or even alert you when you have one?
    No, when you're on the internet and a call comes in, the phone will interrupt your data stream to give priority to the voice call. That's how CDMA goes, it's a limitation that has always been there in the network technology itself. There's no way right now to build a CDMA phone that gets around it.
    06-26-09 01:49 PM
    No, when you're on the internet and a call comes in, the phone will interrupt your data stream to give priority to the voice call. That's how CDMA goes, it's a limitation that has always been there in the network technology itself. There's no way right now to build a CDMA phone that gets around it.

Two ways. EVDO Rev. A has the capability and a CDMA activate it, or they start the switch to EVDO Rev B. Both options won't happen right now because of LTE/WiMax. Make that three ways with wi-fi. With me, I just can't wait for the first tri-mode BB to happen.
    06-26-09 01:56 PM

Two ways. EVDO Rev. A has the capability and a CDMA activate it, or they start the switch to EVDO Rev B. Both options won't happen right now because of LTE/WiMax. Make that three ways with wi-fi. With me, I just can't wait for the first tri-mode BB to happen.
    Curious what BB are you using right now and on what network?
    06-26-09 02:02 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD