Chums,
    Just started playing with YouTube and Moodio.FM on my Bold for streaming.
    When connected over WiFi in the house, both of those sites stream perfectly, presumably using the WiFi connectivity.
    However, when I disconnect from WiFi and try to use the sites I get the question "Switch to WAP for Streaming Media ?", and the problem is that WAP is not included on my unlimited data plan - meaning I'd have to pay a usage charge for it.
    Is there any way of changing the protocol that the streaming uses (I have a v.strong 3G signal) ?
    Thanks in advance for your help....
    Si
    12-31-08 02:52 AM
    Chums,
    Just started playing with YouTube and Moodio.FM on my Bold for streaming.
    When connected over WiFi in the house, both of those sites stream perfectly, presumably using the WiFi connectivity.
    However, when I disconnect from WiFi and try to use the sites I get the question "Switch to WAP for Streaming Media ?", and the problem is that WAP is not included on my unlimited data plan - meaning I'd have to pay a usage charge for it.
    Is there any way of changing the protocol that the streaming uses (I have a v.strong 3G signal) ?
    Thanks in advance for your help....
    Si
    you realize that wap is a part of your unlimited data plan right there would be killings going on if you wouldnt have wap on your data plan plus wap broswer mean anythin to you, there are two browsers on the blackberry one for faster browsing but crappier rendered websites and one that loads slower but loads the sites fully.
    12-31-08 03:17 AM
    Thanks, but I know that WAP is not included in my data plan - I have just checked my statement and I have to pay extra for it. Therefore, my question remains, does streaming have to use WAP ?
    12-31-08 04:25 AM
    I think this might be limited to the device.

Odd that your carrier doesn't include WAP.

Do you have an unlimited plan?
    12-31-08 05:13 AM
    Thanks...I will check with my provider when I'm back in the office why WAP charges appear separately on my bill,whereas all other data is inclusive. It's a business tariff so that may have something to do with it...

Anyway, no-one has really answered my question - does WAP have to be used if I want media streaming and, if so, why ?

Thanks...Si
    01-01-09 02:52 AM
    Hi Simon, are you on O2 uk by any chance? As they don't include wap in the unlimited data bundle, it was one of the things that made me choose Vodafone as they include all data

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-09 08:33 AM
    Nope - Orange UK but, like I say, I suspect it might be because it's on a business data plan.

Do you know the answer to my question - why does data streaming use WAP specifically ?

Thanks, Si
    01-01-09 12:09 PM
    Unfortunately I don't know the technical reasons why, all I know is that it just does, sorry I couldn't be of any more help there

01-04-09 04:38 AM
    Blackberry proxied data (BIS) is usually counted towards your unlimited data plan, but WAP is not; I imagine that's what your circumstances are now.

The reason why streaming is done over WAP and must be done over WAP is because the free data gets proxied and compressed, and the proxy servers would carry data for other users as well. The bandwidth for streaming video is extensive and can't be proxied like BIS data can, so WAP must be used.

Does that make much sense?
    01-04-09 05:40 AM
    Some carriers abroad to not offer unlimited wap with their bb data plans.

Yes streaming does involve using the wap servers... for AT&T it will ask the question prior to doing so.
    01-04-09 08:44 AM
    Nope - Orange UK but, like I say, I suspect it might be because it's on a business data plan.

Do you know the answer to my question - why does data streaming use WAP specifically ?

Thanks, Si
    I have the same issue and it is really annoying.

I have also started using iheartradio for music - and I have no way of knowing if it uses WAP or not! So I am scared to use it!

Of Vodafone really include everything, like the other chap said, I will be switching to them next time....
    03-17-09 07:18 AM
    I know its a old thread but i stumbled across this today, for those who don't know you stop the browser using wap to stream

via options - general settings - scroll all the way down and you will see "switching for wap for streaming" tick it off.. no idea why on earth they would include such a option...
    12-03-09 03:21 PM
    ThemeJunkie thanks a lot for the reply that was veeeery helpful

02-05-10 07:05 AM
    Hi Simon, are you on O2 uk by any chance? As they don't include wap in the unlimited data bundle
    wait. what?! Damn i'm never gonna stream another Youtube video again!!
    02-05-10 07:37 AM
    Themejunkie - I don't have 'general settings' in my options and can't find 'switch to wap for streaming' anywhere!?!
    02-08-10 01:07 PM
    you realize that wap is a part of your unlimited data plan right there would be killings going on if you wouldnt have wap on your data plan plus wap broswer mean anythin to you, there are two browsers on the blackberry one for faster browsing but crappier rendered websites and one that loads slower but loads the sites fully.
    I asked the same question and found out the WAP is in fact, included in my data plan. I was afraid of playing youtube videos and incurring extra costs. When I played youtube on my 8310, I did not get the notification before videos played but the were very choppy.
    02-08-10 01:21 PM
    I know its a old thread but i stumbled across this today, for those who don't know you stop the browser using wap to stream

via options - general settings - scroll all the way down and you will see "switching for wap for streaming" tick it off.. no idea why on earth they would include such a option...
    I know this thread is old but I am in the same situation, got a bberry bold on T-Mobile. Tried to follow the options above but there is nothing that says ""switching for wap for streaming" tick. I went to Options...and there is no "general settings"...help please
    03-22-10 07:39 AM
    to find the setting to turn off the WAP switching prompt, open your browser. Then click the blackberry button and select options to get to the Browser Options menu. From there, select General Properties. There you can toggle off the prompt "switching to WAP for streaming media.

This doesn't prevent your device from switching to WAP, it just prevents it from prompting you before it does.

After turning off the prompt, I still had problems streaming. I had to reboot my device (BOLD) before I could connect. Good luck.
    05-26-10 09:09 AM
    Blackberry proxied data (BIS) is usually counted towards your unlimited data plan, but WAP is not; I imagine that's what your circumstances are now.

The reason why streaming is done over WAP and must be done over WAP is because the free data gets proxied and compressed, and the proxy servers would carry data for other users as well. The bandwidth for streaming video is extensive and can't be proxied like BIS data can, so WAP must be used.

Does that make much sense?

Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    05-30-10 11:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD