I was just trying to figure out all the hype about the asian .282. I had that one earlier and it ran good. Just not a lot of free memory. I had around 40mb or so but tried the vodaphone and I hit 62mb free after all of my apps were reinstalled. It seems to be a real great build. Correct me if I'm wrong on this. Has anyone been having any issues?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-09 06:46 PM
    i've been meaning to try this build. i've used the asian version and found it to be great. then when the rogers one came out i immediately moved over to that one and noticed a huge spike in memory. but i havent had the chance to reinstall my os. but i think the general consensus is that different OS' work differently for each person and there's never any consistent opinions on them.
    07-28-09 07:21 PM
    I was just trying to figure out all the hype about the asian .282. I had that one earlier and it ran good. Just not a lot of free memory. I had around 40mb or so but tried the vodaphone and I hit 62mb free after all of my apps were reinstalled. It seems to be a real great build. Correct me if I'm wrong on this. Has anyone been having any issues?

I was also on the rogers .282 and switched over to the UK Vodafone .282 and what a difference... Better battery life, memory management and 3G signal is stronger, haven't had a dropped call yet and had them regularly on the Rogers version.
    07-28-09 07:34 PM
    I was also on the rogers .282 and switched over to the UK Vodafone .282 and what a difference... Better battery life, memory management and 3G signal is stronger, haven't had a dropped call yet and had them regularly on the Rogers version.
    When I first bought my bold a month ago or so I had the atnt .167. I then upgraded to the asian .282. I liled it but had a memory leak and a sound issue. I then read on this forum about the vodaphone and must say it works ama-ng. Just imagine the asian .282 but with all the bugs fixed.

07-28-09 07:45 PM
    All this and yet the most informed person on these forums, Crucial_Xtreme, says the Asian and Rogers versions are the same. And I assume the Vodafone is too.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/rog...ml#post2956615
    Last edited by jeffreii; 07-28-09 at 07:58 PM.
    07-28-09 07:52 PM
    That's what I have heard but I have useb both and I easily got an extra 10 to 20 mb of application memory

07-28-09 07:54 PM
    That makes no sense. There would be a thread with 100 replies about that exact issue.

My answer to this thread's OP question is this: no one talks about Vodaphone .282 because it's the 3rd .282 version and they're all the same. There are a small number of people who have had isolated issues that cause them problems; they jump ship to a "different" .282 version and the reinstall fixes their problem.

If Vodaphone were really the holy grail of .282's everyone would be talking about how much better it is. Since it's the same, only a few people who think there's a difference talk about it.

If you think about it, it's a very logical answer.
    Last edited by jeffreii; 07-28-09 at 08:11 PM.
    07-28-09 08:06 PM
    yeah its a bit strange. but from all the reviews of different carrier versions they definitely are not exactly the same
    07-28-09 08:12 PM
    That makes no sense. There would be a thread with 100 replies about that exact issue.

My answer to this thread's OP question is this: no one talks about Vodaphone .282 because it's the 3rd .282 version and they're all the same. There are a small number of people who have had isolated issues that cause them problems; they jump ship to a "different" .282 version and the reinstall fixes their problem.

If Vodaphone were really the holy grail of .282's everyone would be talking about how much better it is. Since it's the same, only a few people who think there's a difference talk about it.

If you think about it, it's a very logical answer.
    how do you explain the different amounts of memory in each carrier release if that's the case?
    07-28-09 08:20 PM
    Memory is not a stable, single-variable thing. There are MANY factors and many of them we don't even know about, as they are happening in the background when we load a new OS. Depending on the time at which you check your memory, it could be totally different than when someone else checks it. People sometimes have major problems with a new OS that isn't solved until the 3rd or 4th battery pull. It depends on how many apps you install and how many default apps you get rid of with Crackmem or whatever method you use.

If you read threads about reviews of OS' you'll notice some people give wildly different answers about memory, battery life, reception etc...all about the same OS. I've learned that unless almost everyone agrees about something, it's best to decide for yourself.

As for .282 I can't really give my own data right now, I'm on Rogers .282 / 5.0 hybrid but I booted up with 55MB free this morning and am at 45MB free now. You're telling me if I switched to Vodafone I'd have 65-75MB free? (Yeah I know the 5.0 hybrid might be causing this but it's just browser/bbm files, same OS)
    07-28-09 08:24 PM
    Memory is not a stable, single-variable thing. There are MANY factors and many of them we don't even know about, as they are happening in the background when we load a new OS. Depending on the time at which you check your memory, it could be totally different than when someone else checks it. People sometimes have major problems with a new OS that isn't solved until the 3rd or 4th battery pull. It depends on how many apps you install and how many default apps you get rid of with Crackmem or whatever method you use.

If you read threads about reviews of OS' you'll notice some people give wildly different answers about memory, battery life, reception etc...all about the same OS. I've learned that unless almost everyone agrees about something, it's best to decide for yourself.

As for .282 I can't really give my own data right now, I'm on Rogers .282 / 5.0 hybrid but I booted up with 55MB free this morning and am at 45MB free now. You're telling me if I switched to Vodafone I'd have 65-75MB free? (Yeah I know the 5.0 hybrid might be causing this but it's just browser/bbm files, same OS)
    how bout you install the asian one with no apps and after your phone boots up, check your free app memory. then do the same thing with the other 2 carrier versions. compare the numbers and THEN say they're the same. that would eliminate themes and programs and if it's right after startup it will eliminate everything else in your argument
    Last edited by nikolous; 07-28-09 at 08:33 PM.
    07-28-09 08:27 PM
    I can tell you this. I did a complete wipe of the blackberry device and I also wiped the os from my device so I would get a fresh install

07-28-09 08:27 PM
    I can tell you this. I did a complete wipe of the blackberry device and I also wiped the os from my device so I would get a clean or complete install

07-28-09 08:28 PM
    07-28-09 08:30 PM
    I think it is because most people are perfectly happy with Rogers and so why risk changing it up?
    07-28-09 08:33 PM
    Nah I'll take Crucial's word for it:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/rog...ml#post2956615
    i guess it's always easier to listen to 1 person instead of the masses or trying it out for yourself to make sure
    07-28-09 08:36 PM
    i guess it's always easier to listen to 1 person instead of the masses or trying it out for yourself to make sure
    You yourself aren't the masses - and Crucial_Xtreme is the most knowledgeable person on this forum.

Don't get defensive! I'm just pointing out a logical explanation that I believe in. No offense intended.
    07-28-09 08:40 PM
    Everything works differently for everyone...Rogers works perfectly for me (baring slightly lower volume over BT) so why switch to Voda... This doesn't mean they are different and it doesn't mean one is better then the other, different strokes for different folks.
    07-28-09 08:45 PM
    have you read the other posts on the forum? the thread that you pointed to previously had many MANY opinions on the differences between carrier versions and it's 18 pages long. i assume 18 pages of different people so don't they count as the masses? I'm not offended. i just wanted to point out that many people are seeing differences in different carrier OS' and it seems Crucial (no offence to him) seems to be the only person who says there is no difference
    07-28-09 08:46 PM
    have you read the other posts on the forum? the thread that you pointed to previously had many MANY opinions on the differences between carrier versions and it's 18 pages long. i assume 18 pages of different people so don't they count as the masses? I'm not offended. i just wanted to point out that many people are seeing differences in different carrier OS' and it seems Crucial (no offence to him) seems to be the only person who says there is no difference
    Come on now, you didn't read that thread!

There are only a handful of people in it who state that there is any difference. Many are upgrading from .266. Many are just asking if there's actually a difference.

Crucial is one of many who say there is in fact no difference...albeit he is the most knowledgeable of the bunch.
    07-28-09 09:01 PM
    Well I'm sorry if I started this thread but I did try rogers and it was horribly slow and had a lit of the clock appearing.

07-28-09 09:06 PM
    We're all searching for that "perfect os" for our bolds. I have been reading this forum for some time and have tried just about every beta and official release to come along. I sure seems that no 2 bolds act the same way, however the voda .282 is the first os that I've installed that runs perfectly on my phone! FINALLY!

07-28-09 09:32 PM
    I don't know anything about differences in OS or lack thereof, but I do know that I upgraded to Vodaphone's .282 (was running AT&T's .167) and have had a huge memory jump. I used to stay anywhere from 35-45MB and now I'm up to 66-68MB. I had horrible memory leaks before and now my "big" leak is down to 63 and it stays stable there. I'm happy with the upgrade.
    07-28-09 09:41 PM
    I have the 282 that came with my phone (got it from at&t). Does the vodaphone 282 make any difference from the att one?
    07-28-09 11:07 PM
    There are other threads too apart from that one. but anyway...

I have the 282 that came with my phone (got it from at&t). Does the vodaphone 282 make any difference from the att one?
    at&t doesn't have it yet. only CSL, Voda UK and Rogers have it. the newest OS that at&t have is 4.0.0.217
    Last edited by nikolous; 07-28-09 at 11:13 PM.
    07-28-09 11:11 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD