I was visiting Lancaster, Pa (home of the Pennsyvania Dutch aka Amish) and while riding in the back of an Amish horse-drawn buggy, in the middle of an Amish farm field....there it was......strong 3G network signal. way to go AT&T!

Why a social group that shuns moderne conveniences (and even electricity) has 3G available is another story...

And yes, I am joking about that last part...I understand that it is available for all of the non-Amish to use.
    03-21-09 10:21 PM
    Hahaha. That's a funny story. You'd think they'd try to improve it in other areas where it might actually be used.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-09 11:16 PM
    Oxymoron????
    03-21-09 11:36 PM
    I've seen on tv they many use cell phones. They charge them via the generator. Kept in the barn.

03-22-09 12:13 AM
    It's driven by tourism and business in the region. Hershey is not far away, York has a Harley-Davidson factory.
    03-22-09 12:42 AM
    Haha. Pretty funny. Great visual - sitting in the back of an Amish horse-drawn buggy in the middle of a farm field.....checking the Bold! Thanks for the chuckle!
    03-22-09 01:32 AM
    The Amish cannot be connected to the modern world by actual wires, so a cell phone is a way around this as they charge it from generators. Always a way round these things eh !!!
    03-22-09 03:56 AM
    There is an off shoot to the Amish called the Menonites (sp?). They do use some electricity, phones, etc. If I am not mistaken... LOL.

But that would have been a good commercial.
    A signal anywhere, even where you think you may never need it!

03-22-09 04:02 AM
    It's driven by tourism and business in the region. Hershey is not far away, York has a Harley-Davidson factory.
    just so we are clear, I lived in Harrisburg for a while so I know about them and the tourism.It just struck me as funny to notice that. Especially when an hour before I had been ribbing a friend about how his G1 "super phone" 3G sucks even in Pittsburgh....
    03-22-09 07:42 AM
    Tourists, all of the pharmicudical companies in Lancaster, plus all of the Philly workers who live in Lancaster county make it on of the biggest markets outside of the big cities. (Lancaster also made the Top 20 most expensive places to retire list)
    03-22-09 08:11 AM
    I live in Houston and the 3G reception depends on what section/suburb you're in at the time.
    03-22-09 08:13 AM
    just so we are clear, I lived in Harrisburg for a while so I know about them and the tourism.It just struck me as funny to notice that. Especially when an hour before I had been ribbing a friend about how his G1 "super phone" 3G sucks even in Pittsburgh....
    Oh that's cold hearted... lol! Yes, I'd do the same... oops I already do to some co-workers. I usually ask "How was your 3g when you left NY/NJ this weekend?"
    03-22-09 08:16 AM
    Indeed it is. Great point.

03-22-09 08:17 AM
    The Lancaster area is pretty large on software development firms. That may have something to do with it.

03-22-09 10:31 AM
    That's funny!

03-22-09 11:30 AM
    I live in napa valley, and its strong everywhere around here.

03-22-09 01:12 PM
    I've seen on tv they many use cell phones. They charge them via the generator. Kept in the barn.

The Amish cannot be connected to the modern world by actual wires, so a cell phone is a way around this as they charge it from generators. Always a way round these things eh !!!
    You guys crack me up. Funny stuff...thanks to the OP for sharing.
    03-22-09 01:57 PM
    well since they are on TV making commercials about their new heating fake fireplace..im sure they have cell phones
    03-22-09 02:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD