Apologies if this was already threaded. I know that many people each have their own preferences but it seemed like for the most part people liked the bigger screen that the 9000 offered.

Why did RIM reduce the screen size for the 9700? Will we ever see a blackberry (besides touchscreens) that will have a bigger size again??
    05-16-10 04:41 PM
    Apologies if this was already threaded. I know that many people each have their own preferences but it seemed like for the most part people liked the bigger screen that the 9000 offered.

Why did RIM reduce the screen size for the 9700? Will we ever see a blackberry (besides touchscreens) that will have a bigger size again??
    Well the new Slider has a bigger screen.
    05-16-10 05:03 PM
    Well the new Slider has a bigger screen.

I said besides touchscreen phones. Having the big screen is the best feature of owning my storm2. However I think most blackberry owners prefer a physical keyboard.
    05-16-10 05:09 PM
    The slider is touch screen & physical keyboard so Kwkid is correct.
    05-16-10 05:20 PM
    personally, having come from a 9000, I didnt miss it at all with the 9700. But I can see where it would be an issue with some.
    05-16-10 06:53 PM
    Technically, the 9700 has a bigger screen in terms of resolution (9700's 480x360 compared to 9000's 480x320) better resolution, smaller form.
    05-16-10 07:42 PM
    It's call thinking ahead.
    This is what you do when you need to sell a product each year.

Bold 9000, AWESOME.
    1. Big Screen
    2. Speed.
    3. Sleek
    4. Huge comfortable keyboard.

For your next model you shoot darts and the first two to get hit you increase only those.

It seems sleekness and speed increased. So for sleek they took after the Japanese and miniaturized everything. Then they sped up everyone.
    The browser is their trump card, when **** is going go bad, they fix it in seconds. Trust me, business tactics like this are easy to see through.

Your next models (2010 models) must all be contrary to what your customers want. Why? Because the little bastards are gonna buy it anyway. OS6 BABY.
    So make it phones look ****ty. But make them capable. Faster and stronger. Execute step 2 of"introduce crappy idea named Suretouch so we can dump it and look impressive" plan.

Dish out some new phones. Rinse and repeat.
    05-16-10 07:44 PM
    well, the overall size of the 9700 decided that the screen cannot be as large. and the size of the 9000 was one of the downsides RIM had to pay attention to.
    05-17-10 07:04 AM
    IMO, even though I never owned a 9000, just tinkered with a couple that the 9000 is bigger, but is too clunky and big to me.

Coming from a free Pearl 8100, the 9700 was easy to adjust too and keyboard was a nice welcome. The 9000 was a little bigger, but we are not talking dramatic size difference when it really comes down to it.

Takes a few days to get used to something.....if that coming from a BB to another BB, which is nice.

Now going to Andriod can take awhile to get used too...again IMO.
    05-17-10 07:15 AM
    Technically, the 9700 has a bigger screen in terms of resolution (9700's 480x360 compared to 9000's 480x320) better resolution, smaller form.
    Technically it has a bigger screen based off of resolution how in the world does that make sense? hahahahaha i mean really

I don't think they will come back out with a 9000, well sometimes i do sometimes i don't i just hope they do. With some 9700 type specs or better.
    05-17-10 07:21 AM
    Smaller device = Smaller screen (Physical) size... but as pointed out, Larger screen resolution (Old Bold-480x320, New Bold-480x360).
    05-17-10 07:22 AM
    That's incorrect. It has a HIGHER resolution, but not a BIGGER screen.

I personally think of it as a downfall. I agree the the resolution is good, but the screen is small on this device. I really liked 9000 form factor! I really like my 9700 but I miss the larger KB and the larger screen. I don't miss the trackball and I don't miss the crappier camera nor the 128 ROM. I like the 9700, put it in a 9000 form factor and I'm sold hehe.

Regardless, RIM does testing and I'm sure this got better results. RIM wouldn't care if people wanted a larger or smaller device, they give the people what will sell more. If we all wanted a BB the size of a DVD case, they'd do it, and charge accordingly. It's a supply demand society. So we can assume that the MAJORITY of the test groups liked the 9700 form factor over the 9000. I for one prefer the 9000 size.

Oh well... as long as it works well hehe.
    05-17-10 07:27 AM
    I still prefer the 9000 form factor... not everybody has small fingers. I had to take a storm over the tour just for the keyboard factor alone. I really really wish RIM would rock the 9000 today with some updated specs. Time will tell.
    05-17-10 07:31 AM
    Smaller device = Smaller screen (Physical) size... but as pointed out, Larger screen resolution (Old Bold-480x320, New Bold-480x360).
    is using the term better screen resolution a more accurate phrase as opposed to bigger. (I'm literally asking not being a smart A). I think its more along the lines of a better screen resolution because the images it renders a better then lower res screens. This is why i laughed because techically the screen is still smaller the screen resolution is just better not bigger.
    05-17-10 07:32 AM
    That's incorrect. It has a HIGHER resolution, but not a BIGGER screen.

I personally think of it as a downfall. I agree the the resolution is good, but the screen is small on this device. I really liked 9000 form factor! I really like my 9700 but I miss the larger KB and the larger screen. I don't miss the trackball and I don't miss the crappier camera nor the 128 ROM. I like the 9700, put it in a 9000 form factor and I'm sold hehe.

Regardless, RIM does testing and I'm sure this got better results. RIM wouldn't care if people wanted a larger or smaller device, they give the people what will sell more. If we all wanted a BB the size of a DVD case, they'd do it, and charge accordingly. It's a supply demand society. So we can assume that the MAJORITY of the test groups liked the 9700 form factor over the 9000. I for one prefer the 9000 size.

Oh well... as long as it works well hehe.

Its safe to say that the majority of bb owners prefer the trackpad over the trackball correct? Then why did RIM create the Tour with a trackball?? You like to think they tested opinions objectively but I dont think thats always the case.
    05-17-10 11:13 AM

I have no clue.....whatever answer they tell you is prolly BS and the real issue might have something to do with cost cutting. They 97xx probably shared more common parts with the Curve models, so they may have been trying to save money in production costs.
    12-26-12 01:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD