Why can't RIM develop a Bold 9xxx with the body of the Bold 9000 with larger memory, Trackpad, better camera? They've done it with the Tour and Curve. Plus they've got all the parts available already, just need a little engineering to fit the trackpad and everything else. C'mon RIM. We know you can do it. I'm sure you'd sell millions of them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-23-10 10:43 PM
    I don't see why they would, since they already have the 9700 which replaced it...
    01-23-10 10:45 PM
    Well, the Bold 9000 had such a popular form factor. RIM's new models are getting smaller and smaller and judging from what has been written on this forum, there are many who still prefer the larger size.

01-23-10 11:04 PM
    maybe that's on the wishlist of RIM as well.
    01-23-10 11:11 PM
    That would be just awesome.

01-23-10 11:12 PM
    I don't see why they would, since they already have the 9700 which replaced it...
    The 9700 can't be a "proper" replacement for the bold, it's just not "Bold" enough, my guess is that there will be another addition to the Bold line up in the next 12 months that'll be more faithful to the original Bold bloodline, I certainly hope so because if there isn't the 9700 will be the only sensible upgrade, and I have massive hands that can just about adapt to the size of the 9000 keypad.

9000 size with the tapered bezel and design cues from the 8900/Tour/9700 with a properly sized screen and keyboard and a little something extra thrown in to break the mold would be great.

01-24-10 05:12 AM
    OP, so what you really want is everything from the 9700 (styling cues, processor, screen, trackpad, etc...) in a bigger squared-off case like the 9000?

interesting.

I'm not a power-user, but I'd much rather take all the goodies from a 9700 and stuff them into something like a pearl but with landscape screen. something not quite curve sized but a little larger then the current pearl 81xx. And I'm sure there are tons of people who would go for that too....

to each their own I guess, different needs/wants for different users
    01-24-10 07:26 AM
    I love the battery life of the 9700, but that 9000 screen was one of a kind.

01-24-10 09:00 AM
    This sounds like such a good idea...I miss the size of my 9000....if I could get that same size on my 9700 and keep the same battery life and all, that would be GRAND!

01-24-10 09:08 AM
    I got to believe RIM will release another 9000 sized device.

I understand the love for smaller phones; pocketable and sleek, ultra portable.

But, when a device gets smaller the usability takes a hit. RIM did a great job with the 9700 keypad... but no doubt it would be even easier to use if slightly larger. And... who could argue with a larger screen?

Usability as a messaging device has always been RIM's stronghold. They need a larger device with top specs in their offering.
    01-24-10 09:47 AM
    Its all about the large screen.

01-24-10 10:47 AM
    A device like you, the OP, describe might be the only phone on the horizon with a chance to separate me and my 9000.

01-24-10 10:58 AM
    A device like you, the OP, describe might be the only phone on the horizon with a chance to separate me and my 9000.

I agree, I love the 9000 but there's no denying it just doesn't suit big hands as well as the nice chunky bold does.

I'd love slightly smaller BB/call/end/return buttons, and a slightly larger screen with trackpad and i'd probably not want to upgrade for years.

01-24-10 11:14 AM
    Well, let's all hope that the Dakota isn't a disappointment. It is rumored to be the same size as the 9000, trackpad and same screen size. I await its birth.

01-24-10 12:45 PM
    i love the size of the 9700 its perfect
    01-24-10 01:01 PM
    I agree with Tim_UK on this one, the 9700-mini bold just can't sit right with me as the Bold 9000's replacement....but it is. There are enough people out there asking for a larger device for RIM to answer the call with the Dakota. From what I've seen from guys like Salomondrin, the Dakota will be the device we seek. My hands don't work well with curve, tour or 9700 sized keyboards. I am OK on the 9000, but any smaller and its a disaster and very uncomfortable. We get what they give though, and if RIM's Dakota does come out smaller than the 9000...I guess all of us 'bigger phone wanters' will take what we can get and have to deal with it. Or switch to a different smartphone with a roomy keyboard. I sure hope I don't have to do that though, I like the BB.

01-24-10 01:28 PM
    I can use pretty much any of the blackberry keyboards, but the keyboard on the original bold was by far my favorite. It was so easy and fast to type on. With any luck we will be seeing something like that on a cdma carrier too.

01-24-10 02:27 PM
    I really like the size of the Bold too, but my Tour is a pretty close contender! It's a bit bigger than the 9700, which IMO, is built like a plastic piece of crap.
    01-24-10 02:37 PM
    Research groups. Simple as that.

RIM brings in groups of people and hands them different form factor phones. The people play with them for a set period of time (was a week last time) then fill out forms on what they like / dislike. RIM goes from there.
    01-24-10 05:08 PM

Amen to that. C'mon RIM. We have faith in you.

01-24-10 05:27 PM
    Yeah the NEW bold 9700 and its future replacement, are akin to a 3G curve.

Improve the 3G radio stack for better battery life, give it top of the line specs, BB6 OS, 8.0 mp camera with options for black and white, sepia and all those other nice options, track pad, keep the side micro SD card slot, keep the bold look, increase the screen resolution. It would be the perfect smartphone without a touch screen. Its main problem is memory, then when you look at it again, you're like man, it could also be faster, and it could also have a better camera. Actually, the resolution is great, but that is 2 years old now right? Or 3 years old? Either way, its time for a BOLD NEW phone, not just a refresh.
    10-17-10 11:02 AM
    I sold my miniature 9700 and got the 9000 for the larger screen and keyboard! Im much happier with the 9000, and I didn't feel 1 difference despite the so called more memory on the 9700
    10-17-10 11:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD