RIM is very very SLOW. They take ages to fix bugs. The fact is, RIM needs better engineers! they are simply not good enough. funny thing is, 9900/9930 hasn't got auto focus camera because it is slim (or is it? slimmer than 9900 came in the market 2 years ago!). on the other hand, samsung galaxy s II is 8.5 mm (2 mm thinner than 9900) & still got auto focus.
    Another negative point about RIM is, they test a device after launching it. When users get fed up with lags & bugs, then they come up with updates. Whereas, apple test their product rigorously before it comes to the customers. thats why apple users are happy & reputation is increasing day by day.

They test their phones so well you don't have to hold it a certain way to work right eh? Then as an excuse they just say other companies have the same problems(with no proof). Sure "sh*t happens" but an antenna is a pretty fundamental part to a phone is it not?

But back on topic... BlackBerry has been in the game longer but their main customer hasn't been people that been people that are using it mainly for media. They needed to react faster then they did. They needed a better browser years ago. Maybe it won't be till QNX that the browser is as good maybe even better then other smartphones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-11 04:36 AM
    . Sure "sh*t happens" but an antenna is a pretty fundamental part to a phone is it not?

Not if youre happy with a glorified ipod, that can do an occasional phonecall.
    08-21-11 04:51 AM
    RIM will never cater to the multimedia crowd. Their bread and butter is the business/productivity crowd and that will never change. That's just fine with me as a rarely use the browser.
    08-21-11 04:57 AM
    I have and use both and in no way is the BlackBerry browser horrible and the i4's the best ever. Remember it does lack flash. The browser in OS7 is competitive with the others. Is it better? No. At some sites though it most definitely is.
    What's key is RIM is competitive. Future firmware updates will help the browser and it may very well be better than the others sooner than you think.
    You've obviously never used IOS - because if you had, you'd know that the browser on just about any device makes the RIM browsing experience feel like a joke. While the browsing experience is much better in OS7, it pales by comparison to IOS or Andriod.
    08-21-11 06:20 AM
    RIM is very very SLOW. They take ages to fix bugs. The fact is, RIM needs better engineers! they are simply not good enough. funny thing is, 9900/9930 hasn't got auto focus camera because it is slim (or is it? slimmer than 9900 came in the market 2 years ago!). on the other hand, samsung galaxy s II is 8.5 mm (2 mm thinner than 9900) & still got auto focus.
    Another negative point about RIM is, they test a device after launching it. When users get fed up with lags & bugs, then they come up with updates. Whereas, apple test their product rigorously before it comes to the customers. thats why apple users are happy & reputation is increasing day by day.
    Are you for real? Apple patches as frequently as RIM and has had numerous security breaches in all of their their OS's, something RIM hasn't had. Read the news about that. IOS is as buggy as RIM OS's - or more. Apple users being "happy" as you say, has nothing to do with the integrity of their OS. It's about their devices, the UI and their marketing. Apple hasn't got a clue about secure messaging and push e-mails, something only RIM does with any real success. Why are Google, and many others using BES and BIS to push their e-mail to the BlackBerry? Get a clue.
    Last edited by FBA; 08-21-11 at 07:51 AM.
    08-21-11 06:32 AM
    Going to play with a 9930 today see how I like it. I do wish that the browser from what I heard was faster. Dont understand y the NEW 9930 is not as fast as a iphone 4 browser which will be replaced soon by a even faster iphone 5. Even Rim fans need to be honest and admit that no excuse that browser shouldnt be faster than last yrs phones. Not saying it should be faster than GS2 or Iphone 5 but should definatly be marginally faster than last yrs offerings. Everything else seems to be fine with the 9930.
    08-21-11 07:25 AM
    I guess out would depend on what kind of browsing you want to do. In comparing the browsers of Android, IOS, and BlackBerry, I wouldst say that Android is better and faster on the whole, but for what I need in a browser, the BlackBerry browser is just fine.

08-21-11 07:25 AM
    people will never understand that a bb browser will always be slightly slower due to its data compression technology. i'll gladly take a browser that is a half a second slower but helps out my data bill every month.
    pattste and southlander like this.
    08-21-11 07:56 AM
    Yea I do alot of browsing with a lot of video. Was long time iphone user and now evo user. Like android best for what sites I use but from a build quality stand point they dont stand up to the iphone. I like the feel of the blackberry but up to now browser kept me away. Just think people saying that RIM phones specialize in comunication and not browsing is a cop out excuse. Not a loyal fanboy of any company just call it like I see it. Playing devils advocate if apple fans said they specialize in apps so they could put out a slow browser in iphone 5 they would get slammed
    08-21-11 07:57 AM
    What makes the iphone 5 browser faster then the iphone 4? Or do you all just think it will be? And how much faster can they be made?
    08-21-11 08:03 AM
    Apple and android have been consistant with faster browsers on newversions of their phones. Not sure how fast they can get them
    08-21-11 08:09 AM
    You've obviously never used IOS - because if you had, you'd know that the browser on just about any device makes the RIM browsing experience feel like a joke. While the browsing experience is much better in OS7, it pales by comparison to IOS or Andriod.
    I'm using iOS right now. Maybe you should re-read my first post. I said the browser on OS7 can't be described as "better" than the one on iOS. But there are times when it is quicker to load pages.
    Maybe you should look up the word competitive. One doesn't have to be better to be competitive. One just has to be very close, of which the OS7 browser is.

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    southlander, buwee and skynny70 like this.
    08-21-11 09:00 AM
    And how long has RIM been in business? They have had years to get their browser running up to snuff and have done nothing with it. It always kills me when people say "But IOS has been around longer and should be faster".
    if you read what i said, you`ll see ever so clearly that i did NOT say that. i would thank you not to put words in my mouth.
    08-21-11 09:25 AM
    if you read what i said, you`ll see ever so clearly that i did NOT say that. i would thank you not to put words in my mouth.
    I wasn't putting words into your mouth. I simply commented on what you said about how old iOS is. I wasn't implying that you were giving the excuse of "Apple has had more time to perfect their browser.". I said that it kills me when PEOPLE give that excuse. So while we can disagree on that, what I said in regards to browser speed remains true. Just look at the iPad 1 vs. the iPad 2. If you load the same browser over the same connection the iPad 2 will win. Data speeds can remain a constant, but better hardware and software optimization will always win even if the data speeds are the same.
    08-21-11 10:06 AM
    I wasn't putting words into your mouth. I simply commented on what you said about how old iOS is. I wasn't implying that you were giving the excuse of "Apple has had more time to perfect their browser.". I said that it kills me when PEOPLE give that excuse. So while we can disagree on that, what I said in regards to browser speed remains true. Just look at the iPad 1 vs. the iPad 2. If you load the same browser over the same connection the iPad 2 will win. Data speeds can remain a constant, but better hardware and software optimization will always win even if the data speeds are the same.
    When you reach a point however were pages load up not in seconds but almost instantaneously, hardware is at a point of overtaking bandwidth and more processing power make little to no difference due to data speedy limitations but also human perception. Milliseconds will become insignificant except to the enthusiasts that want the fastest/best always. Kind of like how several PC hardware sectors are now like RAM and latency.
    08-21-11 10:55 AM
    I'm in a position where I own BOTH the iPhone 4 AND the new BB 9900. I have to say:

RIM did a fantastic job with their new browser. It's not only fast, but the overall look and feel is "comparable" to the iPhone browser. The pinch to zoom is smooth, the scroll is sleek and the graphics very fluid. Ask any new 9900 owner and I'm sure they'll agree.

Cheers,

Kace
    Blackberry_Boy, buwee and skynny70 like this.
    08-21-11 11:54 AM
    I love the 9930 so far but in comparing to the iphone4 why cant blackberry get their browing experience to be better? If they could render full web pages and add just a tad of speed this device would seel like hot cakes. I hate saying this but if it could be iphone like touch and web and BB keyboard and form factor it would sell and blow IOS out of the water.

Any way to get full web pages instead of halfs and mobiles?? Has anyone found a way to increase the browing speed?
    If Blackberry were like i-Anything, then we'd see the same type of lawsuite that is currently plaguing the EU where Samsungs Smartphones and Tablets may soon be illegal. I know RIM seem to struggle at times, but I'm sure they wouldn't commit harikari.
    08-21-11 08:13 PM
    Love my Bold 9900, no complains, a fantastic device..such a joy to use its wonderful keyboard and beautiful touchscreen..I own a iphone 4. I think the screen quality is on par..iphone does have faster web browsing, but I have no issue waiting for another 1 or 2 seconds for the page to render...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-21-11 09:03 PM
    You have to give it to Jobs. He's created a cult-like following. iFanBoys who have exactly zero information about the iPhone 5 at this time are already convinced it's going to destroy the competition in every respect. The other day I had a coworker argue with me that the iPhone 5 was going to have better notification than my 9900. The only thing supporting his positions was "you know Apple".
    Of course it's going to destroy the competition, every jump in number has been a very significant technical advancement, and even sometimes sets the bar for other phones to follow.

BB is similar in the sense, except they only make a jump when compared to their own previous phones (while that jump is very little in comparison, and as we've seen now, sometimes a downgrade in some departments intentionally), but the case with BB is, they don't really set bar for other phones to follow in terms of overall technical aspects.

iPhone has been proven to have quality standards, just because people like you and me don't like simple OS's or full touchscreen phones, doesn't mean that an iPhone isn't good at what it does, and each new iteration is better than previous in every department. iPhones success isn't unfounded.
    08-21-11 09:49 PM
    Why can't @noodle15 spell browsing and sell not browing and seel dude its a bb you knew what it was BEFORE you bought it relax and have a nice day!!
    08-21-11 10:31 PM
    What a lot of people fail to realize is, "there's a reaction for ever action"... No phone can do everything perfectly. If RIM beefs up the browser, I'm sure it will affect something else in the OS or hardware.. Droids have a great browser, but HORRIBLE battery life.. I think RIM has done a great job balancing the functionalty of its devices..

08-21-11 10:56 PM
    Of course it's going to destroy the competition, every jump in number has been a very significant technical advancement, and even sometimes sets the bar for other phones to follow.

BB is similar in the sense, except they only make a jump when compared to their own previous phones (while that jump is very little in comparison, and as we've seen now, sometimes a downgrade in some departments intentionally), but the case with BB is, they don't really set bar for other phones to follow in terms of overall technical aspects.

iPhone has been proven to have quality standards, just because people like you and me don't like simple OS's or full touchscreen phones, doesn't mean that an iPhone isn't good at what it does, and each new iteration is better than previous in every department. iPhones success isn't unfounded.
    My sentiments exactly!!
    08-21-11 10:59 PM
    One doesn't have to be better to be competitive. One just has to be very close, of which the OS7 browser is.
    Agreed. RIM just needed to get it close enough.
    08-22-11 01:15 AM

"Significant technical advancements" made me laugh

Adding MMS, wallpapers, illusion of multitasking are not significant advancements and every other smartphone has had these before.

The tochscreeen they did first was an advancement and that's about it that I see. Now don't get me wrong it is a good device but in reality its nothing more then an ipod touch that makes a lousy phone call. If media is your main focus on a device then iphone is great but that's it

The browser on the Blackberry is behind and has stepped it up a lot in the latest OS but people need to stop comparing phones by browser only. If what you do all day is browse the web then great but that's not why people buy cell phones (I hope).

Apple = games
    Android = customizing
    Blackberry = communication

That's my 2 cents

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    08-22-11 01:26 AM
    They sure test their phones well - Yellow tint screens that shatter, special way of holding the phone to get reception, etc. LMAO, Does the Samsung Galaxy S II have a keyboard? hence it's thinner with the AF camera - LMAO again!
    08-22-11 01:48 AM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD