any ideas as to why rimm didnt go with snapdragon as its cpu of choice for theior ":flagship" phone..the 9650?

granted it is true that cpu mhz is only a part of overall speed..in reality..a lower clocked cpu can perform as well as a higher clocked cpu if the software is well written and if the memory is enough..
    take a look at amd and intel..intel always "clocked" higher yet amd still holds its own with lower clock speeds in some cases..

just was wondering how the rimm flagship compares to the htc incredible..
    06-16-10 07:13 PM
    Because it didn't need it. The battery life would be horrendous if it had a snap dragon in it and I don't think it would fit either. Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-16-10 10:52 PM
    i don't think it'd have a HUGE impact on battery life.

Most people charge their phone everyday anyways.

just depends if BB OS is compatible with the processor and whether it would indeed fit or not.
    06-17-10 01:08 AM
    I wonder what it would do for us? I don't have any lag to speak of. Maybe it would render web images quicker. I'm hoping webkit speeds up the browsing though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-10 03:53 AM
    ^^^^^ exactly, i have absolutely no lag on my device so far.
    i came from an 8330 and i had no faith in BB for apps because i thought they all lagged bad.
    come to find out as soon as i got my hands on this bold i was wrongly mistaken, lol
    06-17-10 07:40 AM
    LOL what? How is it the flagship phone when it doesnt even do 3G.

9700 is the flagship at this moment.
    06-17-10 07:49 AM

Sure does 3G...what are you talking about????

And NO I won't argue GSM vs CDMA........
    06-17-10 07:57 AM
    It isn't the flagship device( see latest crackberry review) and it does not need it for the current basic software it runs...

All this snapdragon this and 8 megapixel that are just terms to fool the general public and create sale with things that are mostly useless in a smartphone.

9700 power management is top in class and the battery will last 2 days while the device runs fast and smooth as silk...
    06-17-10 08:05 AM
    It isn't the flagship device( see latest crackberry review) and it does not need it for the current basic software it runs...

All this snapdragon this and 8 megapixel that are just terms to fool the general public and create sale with things that are mostly useless in a smartphone.

9700 power management is top in class and the battery will last 2 days while the device runs fast and smooth as silk...
    Well it wasnt a review, it was his thoughts about how he felt 1 week after use.

Reviews and thoughts are totally different thing.

Its like me saying "Blackberry 9700 owns" vs "Blackberry 9700 sucks"

Thoughts on the BlackBerry Bold 9650 - One week later | CrackBerry.com
    06-17-10 08:08 AM

I agree. The 9700 is the best BB.
    06-17-10 08:19 AM
    any ideas as to why rimm didnt go with snapdragon as its cpu of choice for theior ":flagship" phone..the 9650?

granted it is true that cpu mhz is only a part of overall speed..in reality..a lower clocked cpu can perform as well as a higher clocked cpu if the software is well written and if the memory is enough..
    take a look at amd and intel..intel always "clocked" higher yet amd still holds its own with lower clock speeds in some cases..

just was wondering how the rimm flagship compares to the htc incredible..
    I read an article that I cant seem to find now about the 9650 processor. The author (techie mag) said that upgrading the processor isnt the issue. The processor used, plus a good OS and larger memory is the key to any good phone. The combo of mem, software and processor is what determines the speed of the phone and how it works. You can have a great processor with EH..so so memory and a bad os and your phone won't be as fast...the author agreed with RIM saying that the combo they used in th Bold 9650 is what was needed.

Just relaying the message, so dont shoot the messenger...lol..
    06-17-10 08:34 AM

Damn man 2 stupid comments before 9oclock! You're on a roll!
    06-17-10 08:53 AM
    with a 2.4 inch screen a snapdragon would be overkill. most of that power is used to drive higher def content on a large (4-4.3 inch) screen....and to run a bazillion apps in the background...anyways, the battery life they get is awful. ive seen power users drain a snapdragon phone in 4-5 hrs of use whereas a BB (CDMA) would last 8-10 hrs....
    06-17-10 09:12 AM

9650 does 3G.....in fact, it does CDMA and GSM 3G....as for flagship phone i think BB has a flagship 'Line'...i.e. the Bold line.
    06-17-10 09:13 AM
    FWIW I think the 9650 is the CDMA flagship and the 9700 is the GSM flagship. But, being called a "flagship" has a term limit.

I think this issue wraps around having both CDMA and GSM phones. It is my understanding that RIM has two manufacturers for the chipsets -- one for CDMA and one for GSM. And this disparity has to play a role in why the processor speeds don't match or possibly compare to other smartphones (particularly when combined with other concerns such as battery life).
    06-17-10 09:22 AM
    9650 does 3G.....in fact, it does CDMA and GSM 3G....as for flagship phone i think BB has a flagship 'Line'...i.e. the Bold line.
    I would have to agree that it is a flagship line.
    06-17-10 09:41 AM
    with a 2.4 inch screen a snapdragon would be overkill. most of that power is used to drive higher def content on a large (4-4.3 inch) screen....and to run a bazillion apps in the background...anyways, the battery life they get is awful. ive seen power users drain a snapdragon phone in 4-5 hrs of use whereas a BB (CDMA) would last 8-10 hrs....
    i drained my 9650 in 5 hours of heavy use...
    06-17-10 10:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD