I could have waited a few more months and got this phone??? Well the 8900 is my first Blackberry so Im not too upset, and I don't live in a 3G area. Is it true that it doesn't have UMA capability? That would be a reason to stick with the 8900 for sure!
    08-11-09 10:20 AM
    I'm so ready for this bb to hit Tmo. I'm saving my pennies now...
    08-11-09 10:20 AM
    I need this device, pure fire!!!
    08-11-09 11:00 AM
    UMA is a technology that only T-Mobile has at the moment. It allows you to connect to a Wi-Fi connection and make calls, get data, and get SMS/MMS. It's great when you're traveling or are in an area with little/no coverage.

3G is the hardware in a phone for faster data...MUCH faster than EDGE.

I'm excited for the new 3G berry but I won't be upgrading for another year or so. I def won't get it if it doesn't have UMA. My college has bad coverage and so it wouldn't make much sense for me to get an AWESOME 3G berry and then only get signal 10% of the time. Kind of defeats the purpose.

I hope they get 3G and UMA working on the same phone!
    UMA is also available on Cincinnati Bell in the US but they're a regional carrier. Rogers in Canada has UMA and Orange also has UMA. So it's not exclusive to T-Mobile.

I'm getting this on day 1. The lack of 3G is a big hamper on my 8900. The Driftwood is finally the BlackBerry I'll keep for more than 6 months. I could care less about UMA because I have perfect 3G reception. But everybody has a different situation. Good riddance 8900, hello Driftwood!

E: UMA also allows you to call for free or use your minutes bucket without getting robbed of your money internationally. Call home to your friends and family without getting robbed for call rates!
    Last edited by godzilla07; 08-11-09 at 11:57 AM.
    08-11-09 11:01 AM
    Artemis68, thank you so much for you reply!

Kelly
    08-11-09 11:49 AM
    I've had this crappy stripe for two years now and im ready to get my first blackberry even if i have to pay full price for it and even if i don't have a data plan
    08-11-09 01:38 PM
    when is this bb supposed to be released? price?
    08-11-09 03:58 PM
    looking forward to this
    08-11-09 04:06 PM
    i'm gonna be first in line and spike my bold to the ground! just kidding. bold is still cool.
    08-11-09 06:11 PM
    Any other T-Mobile users with me? I'm on this 100%!!!! Thanks for the scoop, CB!!
    i soooo want this
    08-11-09 06:36 PM
    Yes sir! Loving that Driftwood as well.

--HeavyC.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-09 06:44 PM
    So maybe this has been asked somewhere else but do we know that this is the US version T-Mobile 9700 or the European T-Mobile version?

The difference is that TMOs network in the US has to have 1700mhz for 3G...

PG
    08-11-09 06:53 PM
    I hope none of you guys were the ones telling the BB bold guys that 3g is not important yada yada,my 8900 has 8 channels of edge yada yada,but now a 3g bb for tmobile and NOW 3g seems very important.
    08-11-09 10:27 PM
    for sure. my old curve was edge and it took forever to load a page. its just not practical anymore
    08-11-09 10:45 PM
    My girlfriend wants this phone! She's on t-mobile! She is very excited!
    08-12-09 12:10 AM
    I hope none of you guys were the ones telling the BB bold guys that 3g is not important yada yada,my 8900 has 8 channels of edge yada yada,but now a 3g bb for tmobile and NOW 3g seems very important.
    I'm a person who was berated T-Mobile countless times over many forums for not carrying the Bold when they could have. I'd be using one right now if they did offer the Bold. So I am definitely not one of those persons.
    08-12-09 12:52 AM
    So maybe this has been asked somewhere else but do we know that this is the US version T-Mobile 9700 or the European T-Mobile version?

The difference is that TMOs network in the US has to have 1700mhz for 3G...

PG
    That is in fact a US version. There is a subtle difference between the T-Mobile USA logo, and the T-Mobile EU logo.

T-Mobile USA has 1 little square in front of the "T"
    T-Mobile EU has 3 little squares in front of the "T"

You can notice the difference in the pictures below of the T-Mobile USA branded 9700, and the T-mobile Germany branded Bold.

I'm sooo stoked for this phone! I will deffinitely be picking it up as soon as it is released!
    08-12-09 01:07 AM
    That is in fact a US version. There is a subtle difference between the T-Mobile USA logo, and the T-Mobile EU logo.

T-Mobile USA has 1 little square in front of the "T"
    T-Mobile EU has 3 little squares in front of the "T"

You can notice the difference in the pictures below of the T-Mobile USA branded 9700, and the T-mobile Germany branded Bold.
    Thanks for the clarification!
    08-12-09 09:23 AM
    anyone knows of possible release date...my penny collection is looking very promising for this phone...hopefully it is available before i go to Vegas....
    08-12-09 09:30 AM
    I am so excited for this phone, like a little kid!!!! I'm so glad I bought my 8900 outright in February, because I am due for a full upgrade this december!
    08-12-09 09:34 AM
    @cold war kid

Amazing..I would have never noticed that ever. That's really cool lol.

I still don't know about the driftwood though just because I was playing with a 8520 today at a T-Mobile store and I thought the trackpad felt a little cheap, IMO. It might have just been because it was a demo device or because there was just something wrong with that particular device. I will have to go to another store and see. I'm worried about the trackpad situation because the driftwood doesn't come out until (I think Nov is what I read somewhere on the forum, could be mistaken) and I won't be able to play with a driftwood before I buy because I'm moving on Sunday to a city that doesn't have a T-Mobile store. I will have to upgrade to the driftwood online. Still very excited about the device though!!
    08-12-09 11:02 PM
    Did you ever think the driftwood is a "different" phone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    what are you holding out on us ediggity? CX also said that the rumors about the driftwood are mixed up. i hope its a touch screen
    I'm not holding out on anything. I'm just a regular forum user like yourself. I'm sure we'll get the info eventually; I just don't remember the same phone having a different internal name (someone correct me if I'm wrong.) If it does, then I think it has to do with the UMA situation.
    08-13-09 12:53 AM
    @cold war kid

Amazing..I would have never noticed that ever. That's really cool lol.

I still don't know about the driftwood though just because I was playing with a 8520 today at a T-Mobile store and I thought the trackpad felt a little cheap, IMO. It might have just been because it was a demo device or because there was just something wrong with that particular device. I will have to go to another store and see. I'm worried about the trackpad situation because the driftwood doesn't come out until (I think Nov is what I read somewhere on the forum, could be mistaken) and I won't be able to play with a driftwood before I buy because I'm moving on Sunday to a city that doesn't have a T-Mobile store. I will have to upgrade to the driftwood online. Still very excited about the device though!![/QUOTE]

Yeah, like I said it's a very subtle difference. I guess only phone geeks like myself would notice it, hahah. I wouldn't worry too much about the 9700's trackpad. In fact, I wouldn't even compare it to the 8520's seeing as how the 9700 will be a much higher-end offering and its build quality will be much better.
    08-13-09 01:54 AM
    Yeah, like I said it's a very subtle difference. I guess only phone geeks like myself would notice it, hahah. I wouldn't worry too much about the 9700's trackpad. In fact, I wouldn't even compare it to the 8520's seeing as how the 9700 will be a much higher-end offering and its build quality will be much better.
    I didn't even take that into consideration..good point lol. I'm just sorta worried because this will be my first bb and I won't be able to really use it before I buy it, other than when I was playing with the 8900 today at T-Mobile..
    08-13-09 02:20 AM
    The Onyx is MINE!!!
    08-13-09 03:11 AM
107 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD