Who use 9930 as primary phone. I have a IPhone 4S and need advice about going to Blackberry
    08-06-13 10:22 PM
    You should fine some better responses in this forum
    08-06-13 10:24 PM
    I think many folks still use the 9930. I do but I've never used a full touch screen so I could not compare. The app selection would be far fewer but there are some definitely good apps. Smaller screen. The browser is probably slower but there's data compression through BB' BIS so you get more data for less money if you pay that way.
    jmdolman likes this.
    08-06-13 11:46 PM
    So have you used any of the other phones do you think it is a good idea or should I move to the q10 or z10 devices. Also do u know if there are more updates coming for the 9930
    08-06-13 11:52 PM
    Go for it if you want a smartphone that is top-notch for messaging/emails. Don't expect it to be an iPhone or you will be severely disappointed. What apps it does have in common with iOs will be stripped down versions that aren't as flashy. If this doesn't bother you and you want a solid, sturdy workhorse for a phone then go for it! Otherwise... Q10
    jmdolman and luminosity6 like this.
    08-06-13 11:55 PM
    I think I am for real, but I am with Sprint and they said there not doing preorders for the Q10 for there company until 30 Aug so what is your honest opinion in the q10
    08-07-13 12:01 AM
    As other folks here say, if you are looking for a workhorse email/sexting (oops, texting) and phone device, I believe 9900/9930 would be good, but I would present following qualifications.

1. Like you, I have an iPhone, and I use the 9900 as daily driver, knowing that my iPhone can always augment where the 9900 fails (mostly internet/app related). But 80% of the time, I can get by with the 9900 only.
    2. 80% of what I do with the phone in my biz is email/text/phone related and occasional PIM functions (calendar, contact, notes & to do) and if this is the case, BB9900 is so efficient and handy. I even use it mostly an "email reader". Unless I have to respond immediately to emails, I reach for a tablet, a laptop or even a desktop, which are never far away from me. I mostly use the 9900's keyboard when I have to send a quick acknowledgement for emails. In other words, I restrict using these handheld devices more than for a communication purpose. I have some additional apps that I occasionally use, such as banking, maps and internet search etc in my iPhone 5.
    3. I did purchase a Q10 when it's launched, but found it was no classic (not "legacy" :-) BB like 9900/9930, because it lacked so many core functionalities and robust communication capabilities of the classic devices. But if you have to choose one device, which must be a BB, you might consider a Q10, as it is new and should get better as time goes by (although BBRY is updating it in a snail's pace). I have been watching how Q10 will evolve, and I will consider it again only if/when it becomes compatible with the level of functionalities of classic devices,

So, if you do not mind carrying your 4s as well, most of how you use the phone is heavily related to the communications, or a tablet or a laptop is always readily accessible, then I would suggest the 9930 (while the supplies last :-).
    But of course YMMV.
    08-07-13 06:34 AM
    hey guys,

i just can confirm what the OP was saying. I went sort of backwards from a z10 to a bold 9900.

The current BB10 OS still has some bugs (phantom folders when side loading apps, mms sending and receiving problems) and misses (at least to my understanding of a nice OS) some crucial features such as decent editing capabilties of text via copy paste, various notifaction settings within profiles, no data compression via BIS, a simple and efficient way to check messages using the bb button - not swipe up & right, tap, tap; chosing on whether or not an email will be deleted on mailbox, device only or both, universal search w/o deleting the previous search entry and many more.

As was already stated, a lot can be fixed in upcoming updates, but these tend to be released brutally slowly due to carrier influence. So there is still a lot of searching the forums for solutions or workarounds going on.

For me, the bold 9900 is the better choice right now, although OS10 will get better over time. Don't get me wrong, the z10 (or q10) is a nice device and the OS is fun to use, but not as developed as it should be to be a true BB in my opinion.

In terms of apps, well, BB was never a good choice to begin with, but in my case I don't need all the apps that are out there on playstore or itunes.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-07-13 09:53 AM
    I still do. And as others have already pointed out, depends what you want /need your phone to do. I communicate a lot through my 9930 (gchat, emails, SMS, an occasional phone call, etc) so I need a phone that can do that well, and the 9930 is the phone for that, primarily because of the phenomenal keyboard. I can shoot off messages and emails like no one's business. Haha. Since you're coming from an iPhone, you will be sorely disappointed in the apps department. Personally, the apps I have on my 9930 get the job done, and most of the main apps (Facebook, Twitter) are there. I'm not much of a "portable" gamer, but I DO have a Playbook tablet for that, as well as for reading books on my leisure time.

No idea about the Q10. I played with one recently for only a few minutes and got used to the gestures because they are similar to the gestures on my Playbook. Still, I'm not due for an upgrade until January, and I am content with keeping/using my 9930 until then.
    08-07-13 10:17 AM
    I currently have a i5 and I honestly miss the awesome BB keyboard. I have been debating selling it and getting a q or z, but tr reviews for the Z's keyboard are pretty great. But the Q's keyboard was nice when I played with it in the VZW store. Apps really aren't a big thing to me personally, I mainly texty wife and have a few emails...so I really think the Q will be for me.
    08-07-13 02:40 PM
    Thanks all for the replies allot to think about honestly
    08-07-13 03:31 PM
    I use a 9900 although i don't use it as my primary phone i still love hammering out emails with it.

Sent via my Z10 support your local paramedics run with scissors.
    08-07-13 04:00 PM
    I use a 9930 as my primary phone and keep my iphone 5 for those time I need a app that the 9930 don't have.

Personally I love the 9930. Rarely do I use my iphone. I'm considering dumping my iphone for the q10 altogether. Only problem is I need the 9930 for work as I do not believe a certain app I need for work I need is compatible with the os10. So I'm debating on whether or not its practical to have both a 9930 and q10.

I'm also waiting to see what improvements come over the next month or so before I pull the trigger.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    08-07-13 07:52 PM
    Still rocking the 9930, fully updated, since Dec 2011. Does everything I need, don't really need 4g as I'm on WiFi 90% of the time.

- Scott
    08-07-13 08:23 PM
    I bounce back and forth between the 9930 and a Q10. I really get annoyed with the Q10 for many of the reasons already stated above so I find myself in a tug-of-war between the two devices. I think the Q10 is a great device but the simple tasks seem harder to do or take more time and excess swiping for no reason. I like having a folder on the desktop for my work emails and one for my personal emails. Using the hub on BB10 I find to be annoying. I never use the touchscreen on the 9930 as I don't like smudge marks on my screen so using the trackpad rules in my opinion. I really only use the phone, email, text, facebook, use memopad, berryweather, lister app and mobile checkbook...that is it. So the 9930 does all I need. I have never had any issues with spinning clocks or random reboots like others talk about. My battery lasts me at least 2 days. It really is a great phone. I hope the q10 makes it there one day so the money I spent on it doesn't go down the drain. Good luck with your choice.
    xanadome and revtech like this.
    08-07-13 09:30 PM
    Thanks for the advice all!!
    08-07-13 10:17 PM
    I have both (9930 and the iP 4s) but the phone I am using is the 9930. Each is a great device is its own right. They are very different. It depends on what you want... the nice thing about the BB is that is packed with a lot of really good features that you keep finding the longer you use the phone. But seriously, if you are apps-heavy, it would be a big change. I love my BB and I can't say enough great things about it...but it's all about you and what works for you.

Keep us posted, please

Heather
    08-08-13 12:19 AM
    9930?! I'm still using my 9700 as a primary. Absolutely love it, despite its age. Contract expires in November, and want to switch carriers so waiting till then. At that time, I'll pick up a Z10/maybe Z30.
    jmdolman likes this.
    08-08-13 12:30 AM
    When is z30 coming out
    08-08-13 12:41 AM
    Been using the Bold 9930 for about two years and I can safely said that it is highly efficient and very cool looking device, easily the best Blackberry I have ever used.
    jmdolman likes this.
    08-08-13 05:01 PM
    Thanks to the reply really appreciate the input.
    MontoyaOscar84 likes this.
    08-08-13 05:18 PM
    My mother, grandpa, and two coworkers are still rocking the 9900.
    08-08-13 05:24 PM
    I actually just picked up a 9930 today. I chose this model over the Q10 and Z10 because:

1) I wanted the trackpad option (this eliminates the Q10)
    2) I wanted a physical keyboard (this eliminates the Z10)
    3) Blackberry Internet Service is functional on the 9930

Some potential drawbacks to the 9930 include
    1) Less robust battery life (I seem to be having no problem with the battery on this unit so far, however)
    2) Slower web browsing (limited to 3G speeds)

For my needs, which are very information-management oriented (email, contacts, calendar, tasks, phone calls), the 9930 is just about perfect. For heavy duty web browsing and other media needs, I pair it with my Playbook, or pull out the laptop, although the 9930 will do the job for short stints.

I expect the 9930 to suit me just fine until the next generation QWERTY Blackberry is released, hopefully with a trackpad onboard.
    08-08-13 10:35 PM
    just went back to my 9900 temporarily while my q10 is being fixed. It may end up being more than a temporary return - that should tell you a lot about how I feel about the q10
    08-09-13 06:38 PM
    When is z30 coming out
    The poster was just kidding (although who knows what they'll have out by year's end). EDIT: sorry, wasn't aware of a Z30 being released. I guess I'm not up on my OS10 info as much as I thought........
    As everyone has mentioned here the 9900/30 is an awesome phone. I have checked out the Q10 more than a few times and each time came back grateful for my 9900. I realize the phone is not Blackberry's future, but I can't get around how easy it is to get everything done and done quickly. An amazing communications device!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HowardShap; 08-10-13 at 04:54 PM.
    08-09-13 07:29 PM
30 12