Hi,

I've been using Bold 9700 since Jan 2010 and it has been working perfectly fine. Last night it was working perfectly operational and the next morning when I woke up the phone was dead. I tried plugging in the wall charger, the red led came up for a few seconds and then died again and everytime I would plug in/out the batter the the led would come on for a little while and die again. So I figured the problem could be faulty battery. I borrowed a batter from a friend using the same BB and this time after the led came on the screen showed life and was completely white. I've been reading different articles on the net and watching you tube ive tried all the solutions there are like plug out the battery and put it back in after 30 mins, tried plugging in the charger with the batter out but nothing happens, tried to see if the screen was turning off with keypad lock key on top but its not, loader won't make a connection, DM wont make a connection its not doing anything.

Anoher thing that i've observed is that after the device stays on for a little while it starts to heat up mildly and remains that way, this never used to happen. I have the device turned for like 20 mins now and still the white screen and it won't show any sign of life no matter what I do apart from the fact its heating up.

I'd appreciate if anyone has any thoughts or ideas as to what could be the problem and how to get it fixed.

Thanks.
    08-01-11 07:29 PM
    Do you have insurance that can cover the cost of a replacement screen? Have you thought about going to a repair shop if insurance is out? Is the warranty still good? Have you dropped it before? Tried palming it into your other hand in all directions?

Looks like the screen went on it. A repair shop might be the only way out if the warranty is out and you don't have insurance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-11 08:48 PM
    Do you have insurance that can cover the cost of a replacement screen? Have you thought about going to a repair shop if insurance is out? Is the warranty still good? Have you dropped it before? Tried palming it into your other hand in all directions?

Looks like the screen went on it. A repair shop might be the only way out if the warranty is out and you don't have insurance.

The best couple dollars a month you can spend! For situations just like this!
    08-01-11 10:28 PM
    I have a similar problem where the bottom 1 cm of the screen has gone white (with a touch of grey).

I am not sure what to do as a battery pull doesn't change the screen. The phone is operating normally.

Is there anything I could/should do or should I just take it to a shop to get repaired (is this possible).

I am out of the warranty period.
    08-02-11 12:00 AM

Well if you suggest that a screen replacement will fix the phone, why do you think the phone is heating up. Plus if the problem is with the screen only that means that the phone should be able to boot-up and be recognized by DM or JL_CMDER which is not the case. Also I tried putting in my sim and making the call but it says the phone is not responding. The keypad lock screen doesn't have any effect on the screen either, if the problem was just the screen don't you think it should flash when the keypad is locked/unlocked.

i've verified the heating problem by changing the battery to eliminate if the issue is with the battery. I've tried pluggin in my battery in another bb 9700 and it works fine and no heating up and similarly i used the replacement battery in my bb 9700 and it heats up while white screen is on. so the problem lies not with the battery but with the handset itself.

and unfortunately there's no warranty or insurance so i'll have to pay for the repair job. and as for dropping ... its been dropped alot by my 1 year old .

thanks.
    Last edited by oiqbal; 08-02-11 at 03:33 PM.
    08-02-11 03:23 PM
    Well if you suggest that a screen replacement will fix the phone, why do you think the phone is heating up. Plus if the problem is with the screen only that means that the phone should be able to boot-up and be recognized by DM or JL_CMDER which is not the case. Also I tried putting in my sim and making the call but it says the phone is not responding. The keypad lock screen doesn't have any effect on the screen either, if the problem was just the screen don't you think it should flash when the keypad is locked/unlocked.

and unfortunately there's no warranty or insurance so i'll have to pay for the repair job. and as for dropping ... its been dropped alot by my 1 year old .

thanks.
    If nothing is showing up on the screen regardless, either the little cable is half-connected or there's something wrong with the screen itself. I suggest going to a repair shop if you want to chance your phone works or not.

08-02-11 03:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD