Hi all

Thought I would share this as its worked for me tonight on 2 phones

I have two 9700's both with white screen. I know the screens have been changed different batteries and os reloaded. But still white screen. I read somewhere this is a fault with three small chips on the main board which look impossible to change anyway I did the following

( this is as a last resort and don't do this if you still have warranty)

I heated my soldering iron to full heat. Stripped down the phone and left it to discharge for 30 min. I then held the iron on each of the three chips for 40 seconds. Allowed it to cool and reassembled the phone. Hey presto fully working no white screen..

A couple of things.

This might not work for everyone. Depending on the fault.

The three chips are all in a line next to the LCD connector on the board

It also says printed next to the chips ( allow to discharge before rework) that tells me that there must be some form of issue with these chips

If you have not fixed your white screen then you have nothing to loose

Anyway it's worked on both my phones so upto you if you want to try it

Lee
    03-31-12 05:40 PM
    Wow, sheer wizzardry. +1 OP.
    03-31-12 07:31 PM
    My buddy had this happen to him, he had the screen changed, which was the problem. He sat on the phone and got the white screen replaced, problem solved was $80.
    03-31-12 08:37 PM
    Hey buddy, can u post or upload a photo of this three chips? i have same problem with error 371
    04-01-12 05:21 PM
    Hi

I will post some pictures on tmrw night

Lee
    04-02-12 03:39 PM
    Hey,

Nice work. For those people who this doesnt work for.

I recently got a BB from a friend because he had the WSOD atleast twice before and was tired of it.

Did some quick research online and found an interesting post. At the time it seemed more like a precautionary measure rather than a fix but gave it a shot none the less and hey! It worked.

The directions were simple. Open up the phone and get down to the LCD. The cable for the LCD tends to get damaged from constantly pressing on the case(bad design i guess), anyway, take two strips of electrical tape and put it on each side of the cable. This is to give the cable some support.

Fit it back up and you should be good to go.

Just like the original post, may not work for everyone.

I'll look for the links and post them. They have pictures to help make this simpler.
    ominous17 likes this.
    04-04-12 09:43 PM
    i`m gonna try this

those 9700 have so much problems
    05-06-12 02:03 AM
    I took the liberty of uploading a picture for the OP.

05-06-12 11:45 PM
    Hey,

I recently got a BB from a friend because he had the WSOD atleast twice before and was tired of it.

Did some quick research online and found an interesting post. At the time it seemed more like a precautionary measure rather than a fix but gave it a shot none the less and hey! It worked.

The directions were simple. Open up the phone and get down to the LCD. The cable for the LCD tends to get damaged from constantly pressing on the case(bad design i guess), anyway, take two strips of electrical tape and put it on each side of the cable. This is to give the cable some support.

I'll look for the links and post them. They have pictures to help make this simpler.
    This worked for me aswell. Cheap, easy fix
    05-20-12 06:04 PM
    Hey,

I must say, this just worked for me, but it was with a replacement screen that I had just purchased brand-new. And yes, it was the exact same model number as the original screen because I opened up the phone & verified the screen model # before purchasing the replacement screen. When I first installed the replacement screen, the LED came on for about 3 seconds, then went off, and the screen stayed white, even though after a few minutes I could hear the phone booting up, and heard texts and emails coming thru, even though the screen was still white. After implementing your suggestion of the strips of electrical tape, I put the phone back together, and it booted right up, as normal. I also noticed by looking at the LED cable of the original (broken) screen that it had small strips of electrical tape on both sides of it, as well. Anyways, that solution that you posted does work, for anyone else in a similar predicament...
    06-05-12 10:27 PM
    same where can it be done
    06-05-13 01:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD