This is my first view of such an occurence but I suspect my Bold just bit the dust today. Was running great and took it out of the holster and now have a white screen. I have checked all of the buttons and all appear to be functioning correctly. Is this terminal or does a "Master of Blackerry" have an idea how to return my favorite device to life? Running 4.6.0.237 and has been doing great to this point. Thank you in advance.
    03-03-09 04:26 AM
    I am not a master of Blackberries by any stretch of the imagination and this is probably painfully obvious to most, but did you try a battery pull?

(commence abuse ............ NOW!)
    03-03-09 04:32 AM
    Yes, multiple times and no change to the "white screen".
    03-03-09 04:42 AM
    Had the white screen....came up a few times and reset ok, then came up and my device wouldn't boot.

No communication with Desktop Manager, pulling the battery didn't work...Rogers is sending me a replacement. What a drag...although I'd done a back up, it was about a week old (two weeks by the time the new device arrives).

I have no idea what caused it, but overall, I've found the bold to be buggy, though later OS versions seem to improve, it is still being tested for RIM by all of those that bought it.

In addition to this problem, I've had problems with
    - contacts disappearing from the phone book (not sure if this is a Bold or DM issue)
    - random resets
    - extremely slow camera functioning

I love the device, which is a mixed blessing - it is my business phone, my home phone, my MP3 player, my file transfer device....unfortunately it hasn't been that reliable (this is my third exchange - first had a non-responsive track ball, and second had an extremely "tinny" sounding speaker.

I can't help but think that the Bold overall must have above average returns and quality problems.
    03-03-09 10:54 AM
    03-03-09 11:26 AM
    I have nuked mine a few times during upgrades
    If you follow the rules to the letter I can say
    It will restart

Good Luck

Wayne
    03-03-09 11:44 AM
    of course, I should have spent more time cruising the forums.

This worked!

BlackBerry 101: How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com
    03-03-09 11:58 AM
    I haven't really experienced the white screen of death but mine just restarts by itself sometimes. Is this normal?
    03-03-09 04:11 PM
    I haven't really experienced the white screen of death but mine just restarts by itself sometimes. Is this normal?
    Yes, unfortunately. Mine used to do it more often than it does now that I've upgraded the OS some, but it still does it every now and then. Sometimes I will just pull my bold out of its holster and the white screen will appear, however, if I push a button it goes away and goes back to the locked screen, which is great. However, sometimes, the white screen will have "APP ERROR" in the middle, where you can do absolutely nothing but battery pull it. Sucks.

Fortunately, it doesn't happen very often anymore.
    03-03-09 04:55 PM
    Thank you all for thegood words. I have been extremely diligent in doing the upgrades to the letter and this one version had been working well since installed. I will look at the nuked link and hopefully I can resurect mine.

Thank you Crackberry nation.
    03-03-09 07:08 PM
    Yes, unfortunately. Mine used to do it more often than it does now that I've upgraded the OS some, but it still does it every now and then. Sometimes I will just pull my bold out of its holster and the white screen will appear, however, if I push a button it goes away and goes back to the locked screen, which is great. However, sometimes, the white screen will have "APP ERROR" in the middle, where you can do absolutely nothing but battery pull it. Sucks.

Fortunately, it doesn't happen very often anymore.
    no its not normal at all
    i have NEVER had my Bold randomly reboot or have any white screen of death
    the worst thing to happen for me was during the .167 to .216 period i had app error show up on the screen..click ok and thats the end of that....
    if any of you people with issues are still on .167 i suggest you upgrade....
    there is a reason we are at .245 right now and its not cause RIM knows some of us LOVE upgrading
    03-03-09 08:57 PM
    I have just rec. that horrible screen..just called in a warranty and all black parts from cnn..with a red trackball ..I guess get some use out of the warranty before i void it
    03-03-09 10:48 PM
    of course, I should have spent more time cruising the forums.

This worked!

BlackBerry 101: How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked BlackBerry
    I used the same guide when I got a "Reload Software 507" error after unbranding my Bold. I couldn't install the OS from my Desktop but worked great from my Laptop.
    03-04-09 12:02 AM
    Well the verdict is in and the patient is termainal. Followed the Nuked procedure and everything acted and did as expected in the connection activity. Startup screen and loading screen were white pages again and when it showed complete just had the white screen. Suspect video is done for. Ordered a replacement last night and back on must old trustworthy 8320.

Thanks again for all of the responses and suggestions.
    03-04-09 09:57 PM
    sounds like its pretty much done =( you tried everything!
    06-02-09 09:34 PM
    My BOLD took a header out of my shirt pocket into some water; got the White Screen.
    I had planned to have Horizon Wireless Online install a ROGERS Keypad and maximize the memory anyway, with this disaster I decided to use their "Restore from White Screen of Death" service. Their site has the restore service currently priced at $31.44 U.S. Dollars. I just sent mine in this afternoon. I'll let you know how it turns out; I figure it's cheaper than paying the $125.00 deductible that AT&T asks.
    06-03-09 02:10 AM
    Seriously, give Horizon a try before you completely give up.
    06-03-09 11:09 PM
    My bold also does self reboots. Actually two today and both right in the middle of phone calls!!!!!! Lost the stupid calls and then had to wait the darn two to three mins for it to start up again. Is this at all normal??? Anyone know what I could do to stop this. Very annoying almost to the point I want to throw the darn BB against a wall!!!! ARGHHHHH!!!
    06-04-09 07:02 PM
    Well, sadly, the word from Horizon Wireless is that the mainboard on my BOLD is fried. They're returning it without cashing the cashier's check for the added work. I appreciate their honesty about the situation. I will definitely turn to them for software updating when I get the replacement.
    06-08-09 04:30 PM
    I'm really nervous after this post! I get the white screen when I pull my phone out of my holster, if I just press a button it goes away, but now I'm super nervous about it not coming out! It doesn't happen everytime but at least 3 times a day! I can't function without my phone! I have a curve but a friend is using it! I need to back up when I get home!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-09 04:59 PM
    Unless your 'Berry took a plunge into some water, like my beloved BOLD; just take a breath or two and think some nice, calming thoughts. I reported my disaster today and I am sure that I will very soon be a happy BlackBerry user again.
    06-09-09 05:17 PM
    I'm really nervous after this post! I get the white screen when I pull my phone out of my holster, if I just press a button it goes away, but now I'm super nervous about it not coming out! It doesn't happen everytime but at least 3 times a day! I can't function without my phone! I have a curve but a friend is using it! I need to back up when I get home!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    This happens to me sometimes as well... pull it out of the holster and white screen. I hit the back button and everything is fine.

It is pretty rare, but it happens.

running .247
    06-09-09 10:09 PM
    I just upgraded to .266. Hopefully the issue won't reoccur. Hasn't yet, but it' sonly been 2 days!!
    06-10-09 04:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD