Hi CB, Now I know there is already a ton of threads on this, but none of the issues sounded quite the same as mine.

Put my phone in my pocket - was working fine, then took it out and it had a blank white screen.

A battery pull now results in colours fading in from the top and bottom of the screen and making a purpley white screen which eventually goes pure white. Apparently the rest of the phone is working ok as my boss (on a day off) phoned my work to ask why he had 4 missed calls from me! and the LED is flashing.

Any help? going to try reloading the OS but not holding out much hope...
    06-20-11 09:57 AM
    I can't be certain but that "feels" like a hardware problem to me maybe a connector to the screen game loose or the screen itself got damaged somehow.
    06-20-11 10:36 AM
    Thank you just phoned my Network and they've said it's a faulty backlight (fault code FW166 if anyone is interested) and I have to take it to the store and they'll replace/fix it. BB-less for the time being though, and smart arse me never backed up my contacts to my SIM...just to desktop manager...
    06-20-11 10:51 AM
    I'm having a similar issue that has been going on for about the last 30 hours or so. The screen is white, sometimes if I rub the phone up against my shirt with the keypad locked it'll show certain icons and everything else is very scrambled and look like graphic artifacts. Other times it'll just work for hours at a time and then stop without warning.

Last night I was able to backup everything to BBManager on my laptop and then ran a factory wipe and deleted everything, this didn't seem to solve the issue either as far as I can tell as after I restored the phone with my backup the issue came back.

It sounds a lot like the "four solder points" issue which people have solved by opening the phone and putting electrical tape over the four solder points on the board near the USB connector. I'm tempted, but am still under the one year warranty from RIM.

I've had the phone since mid-January and haven't dropped it nor allowed it to get any water damage. My provider is Telus in Canada and I've yet to speak to them but will be soon.

Any other ideas/suggestions? I'd love to hear them.
    06-20-11 11:07 AM
    Sounds like a confirmed hardware issue. Since you're still under warranty, I would suggest to turn it in for repair. No point voiding your warranty...
    06-20-11 12:24 PM
    Is it likely I'll have to go through BlackBerry to get the issue resolved or does that depend on how my provider resolves the issue? I kind of wish I had the insurance through Telus, but I guess the warranty will do for now.

Any idea what the turnaround is like at any given time? I'm thinking 3 to 4 weeks but I'm obviously hoping for much, much less.
    06-20-11 01:23 PM
    Took it into the shop. Has been sent back to RIM apparently to be replaced, but I've got to wait a month to get my replacement...I'm presuming that means RIM will want to have a look at the problem to see if it can be fixed or something? I'm happy enough that it was no hassle to get this far, but in this day and age 4 weeks turnaround to replace a phone is a bit much - that said, Apple's is alot longer from what I've heard!

Also, if it does indeed get replaced, will my backed up data (contacts etc on my computer) be able to be restored to the new handset?
    06-20-11 04:41 PM
    Also, if it does indeed get replaced, will my backed up data (contacts etc on my computer) be able to be restored to the new handset?
    I'd like to know if this is the case as well. I backed up using BBManager but I'm not sure how it works restoring that save to a phone with a new serial number, provided they don't fix the phone and send me a replacement.

Four weeks turnaround is terrible, regardless of the competitions times (which I've heard to be much better than a month, actually).

06-22-11 02:31 PM
    I'd like to know if this is the case as well. I backed up using BBManager but I'm not sure how it works restoring that save to a phone with a new serial number, provided they don't fix the phone and send me a replacement.

Yeah the backup will be restored to any blackberry flawlessly ( Not sure of OS6 data backup to OS5). I backed up my old 8900 data and restored it to my new 9780 and then on my 9700, without any issues. But if I remember correctly, it was only contacts, calender, memo and BBM contact that I chose to back up and restore.
    Some BBM contacts maybe have to be re-invited, but the PIN's will be shown in your BBM.
    06-23-11 02:22 AM
    Good news! Less than 2 weeks and I have in my hand a brand new 9780!! pretty happy minus all the updating that needs done to it!

One question though. have they changed where these are manufactured they were first released? The keyboard on this new one feels totally different and slightly cheapy...not sure if this is the case or I've just not 'broken it in' yet....
    07-02-11 07:45 AM
    Good news! Less than 2 weeks and I have in my hand a brand new 9780!! pretty happy minus all the updating that needs done to it!

One question though. have they changed where these are manufactured they were first released? The keyboard on this new one feels totally different and slightly cheapy...not sure if this is the case or I've just not 'broken it in' yet....
    07-02-11 07:46 AM
    Mine has been away for about a week and a half now. Telus told me it could be anywhere from two weeks to eight weeks so I'm not really sure what to expect.

I have a 9700 as a loaner which is OK, but the idea of being without the phone I paid to be under contract with for up to two months is pretty crazy. Not sure if this is RIM or Telus playing it safe (and ideally that's the case as the turnaround should be more likely two to three weeks then).
    07-04-11 11:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD