So, recently after phone calls and alarms going off sometimes I'll look at my phone and the screen is just white. If I push any button, everything is fine.

Question is, is this the white screen of death for a Bold. Am I walking off of a clif here?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-09 10:54 PM
    05-05-09 10:58 PM
    Yeah... I didn't see anything about a NOT dead BlackBerry... Only stuff about dead BlackBerrys. I'm confused.

So just to clarify, my BlackBerry is not dead. It will display a white screen after a phone call or an alarm, sometimes. If I press a button, any button, it's just fine. I'm really just curious if anyone has seen this before and if it was un-auspicious?

Thanks.

05-05-09 11:31 PM
    Yeah... I didn't see anything about a NOT dead BlackBerry... Only stuff about dead BlackBerrys. I'm confused.

So just to clarify, my BlackBerry is not dead. It will display a white screen after a phone call or an alarm, sometimes. If I press a button, any button, it's just fine. I'm really just curious if anyone has seen this before and if it was un-auspicious?

Thanks.

What OS are you running? When I had .237, .241 and .247 I would get an occasional white screen when taking my Bold out of the holster and pushing any key would get rid of it or waiting 30 seconds would allow it to go back to normal. Haven't had it happen on .266 yet. *crosses fingers*

Chris
    05-05-09 11:33 PM
    I too had it at times when i take the device out of the holster ...
    05-06-09 03:36 AM
    I'm running .266. Hearing that it is happening for others and not killing their device after a while is encouraging. I'm just relating this to seeing a blue screen on a PC; you may be fine with a reset, but basically, once you start seeing that blue screen occasionally, it's usually the beginning of the end.

05-06-09 11:30 AM
    I usually get it if my memory is running low or im running an app thats stressing the Bold out.

Usually sorts itself out after a few secs and im running .266 myself.
    05-06-09 11:35 AM
    have this on .297, havent had it on 5.0.0.100 & .190, like .100 platform, but like the sms threading, time auto update & 2G & 3G choose option, so i swapped the radio file in .100 with .190 and i'll see what happens after i give .297 a lil longer, i wiped and installed last night @ 3AM. Had a couple glitched with .190, lost the sms char couter once, deleted the convo and it came back, also lost my connection completely, it went to searching for network and came back in 5 sec.
    09-01-09 03:22 PM
    I posted about this last week after I upgraded to .297.
    I did not have this problem before the upgrade and while some have suggested everything from the LCD going bad to the LCD retaining static causing the white screen. Simple fact is, it did not do it prior to the upgrade... not even once.

I have found in my case, if I park the highlight of the trackball over either of my email icons or the SMS icon and receive an email or text while the device is holstered, I get the white screen. If I hover the highlight over any other icon before holstering, it does not do it.

There must be some conflict when pushing messages.
    Your mileage may vary.
    09-01-09 03:40 PM
    Yep, had this intermittently on various builds. I noticed that if I stopped grabbing my phone out of the holster like I was in a high noon duel (ie waited a few seconds) the problem stopped. But it surely doesnt seem to be anything really bad.
    09-01-09 07:26 PM
    i had the same problem, i have completely solved it. Yes. SOLVED IT. follow the instruction at this link

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/out...99/index3.html

This is likely caused by the contact between the lcd screen and the pcb. I am not having this prob now even my memory down to 20mb. No single white screen noticed for pass 1 month.
    Last edited by bmbk; 09-01-09 at 08:18 PM.
    09-01-09 08:15 PM
    bmbk,
    Don't get me wrong... I'm not saying the contact repair wasn't YOUR problem but I've read far too many posts about the white screen after this OS upgrade to believe some of this isn't caused by an OS conflict.

Again in my instance, simply parking the trackball highlight over any other icon except my messages icons before holstering/standby does the trick for me. That has nothing to do with the contacts between the LCD and the pcb. It was perfect before the upgrade and perfect since I've discovered my fix with the exception of two days ago when I mistakenly left the highlight on an email folder. I've made a conscious effort not to do that... and it's fine again.

just my 2 �
    09-02-09 10:35 AM
    I have been having trouble on this for months. Mostly it's a holster thing - pull it out and there is a white screen. If I push a few buttons, the white screen gives way to a pixelated screen after I push a few buttons the screen starts to return. When I say starts to return, I mean that I need to use the trackball, and it seems to "eat" the pixels until the screen is clean.

I've read the hardware problem suggestion, and I just don't see myself ripping the device apart, especially since I am convinced it is a software problem. This happened intermittently when I first got the blackberry. I upgraded to .282, and the problem all but went away, but it still appeared every now and then. In case you are curious, I have more than enough memory - 32MB, so this is not the issue.

When ATT pushed the .297 upgrade, I went for it thinking it would completely go away, only it got worse - every time it goes to sleep the white screen appears. It doesn't matter if it's in the holster or not, though it is worth noting that if I plug it in, the problem seems to decrease.

This so pisses me off that I went to the ATT store today to show the guy who sold it to me. He said that he had 3 people in just today who complained of the same problem. He said that it was definitely an upgrade issue and in fact the upgrade had been recalled because of the problem (though as far as I can tell, neither RIM nor ATT will own up to it).

The device is almost unusable. I think I am going to get my company to buy me a new one, though I'm not sure it will be a bold or even a RIM device for that matter.
    09-09-09 04:21 PM
    There are several threads on this problem both on this site and on the RIM support site. I have posted to a few of them and until late last week, I was about to throw my Bold in the garbage. RIM is mum on the matter, but I went to the ATT store and they told me they had seen it - in fact 3 times in the day when they pushed an OS upgrade.

On a whim I figured I'd try a new BB holster without the magnet and it seems to have worked. I did it a week ago and I this problem seems to have gone away completely. I'm not that technologically proficient, but I asked a techie friend, and he says it is possible that the magnet was the cause.

Try a new $10 holster and see what you get...
    09-16-09 10:15 AM
    This happens to my Bold all the time, it's really annoying.

I have two holsters and they both do it, both magnetic.
    09-16-09 11:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD