Hi all,

I have a prerelease Bold, (SMTDate 03/19/08) , after trying to upgrade it is bricked. I've tried everything, wipped, done the right procedure a lot of times, etc, but only get to this error: "The system software is not designed for the connected device [A:0x00000043]"
    After hours of re-search forums, google, etc, seems that beta Bolds will only accept upgrades until V. 4.6.0.40 (others said 4.6.0.44). (Can someone confirm this?)

Now the question is, I've been searching for one of these versions, but can't find it, no way.

Anyone in this forum has it on its "collection" ?? Or can give any clue of where to find it ??

Thanks in advance for your help,

Manuel Mav
    07-07-09 07:13 AM
    If you find it, post back up. There have been several people over the last few months looking for the same with no luck.
    07-07-09 07:22 AM
    Hi bt224,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have seen it... That's why I call all the old wise members ;o) , just because I think our best chance is one of you looking back on that old collections of useless files ... and maybe, between other thousand hundred files, one of you may have that old forgoten version !!

Will some of you (at least those of you that never delete that kind of things, "just in case..." ) be so kind to take a look ??

Thanks !!

Regards,

Manuel.
    07-07-09 10:15 AM
    If you want to try something that's a little bit "out there" give this a go. I see that on my bog standard Bold, the Hardware ID, as reported on the engineering screens, is 0x84000e07. This is the value that appears on the "Bold" line in the device.xml file in the AppLoader folder.
    Try changing the device.xml file to match your Hardware ID, 0x00000043. Might not work, but I don't think it will cost you anything...

Doug
    07-07-09 10:37 AM
    Hi Doug,

Thanks for the idea !! I will try it tonight (Spain hours).

Actually I was looking for the place where the soft "identifies" the model just to try to change it, and I had even edited that file as the more logical place by its name, but had no idea that the code on the error was the device ID (are you sure of that?? Anyway we will be out of doubts in few hours when I try... ). It makes sense for the formating of the code.

*** UPDATE: Bold (9000) section of my file looks like that:

<!-- 9000 -->
    <os model="9000" radio="UMTS-WLAN" series="9000" Colour="True" Theme="Normal" JVMLevel="1.0" Camera="True" VideoRecorder="True" VoiceNotes="True" pttApp="True" Memory="Large" KeyboardType="Qwerty" Sound="Tunes8700g" SystemSize="normal" Bluetooth="True" MMS="True" GPS="True" ThemeSupport="Enhanced" VAD="True" JPN_Input="True">0x84000E07</os>

So the code is same as yours !! It looks good, and makes sense to me. As long as it's the only place it checks... Will let you know ASAP.

Thank you very much in any case !!

Manuel.
    07-08-09 10:26 AM
    Hi,

So... First try... no luck. Again the same message error (see 1st post).

However, I think this can be a way. We just need to find the checking for the hardware ID... maybe not easy, but also maybe possible.

Another way can be to find and change the firmware Version ID, lets say 4.0.0.206 , by 4.0.0.40 (the one supposed to work/be accepted with Beta Bolds).

Any help/ideas about this are very welcome !!

Manuel.
    07-08-09 03:43 PM
    So... the device ID it's in the file rim9000.sfi , located into the UMTS folder. However if I just plain change the content, say 84000E07 by 00000043 the file becomes "bad" or corrupted, and then the loader says there's no sw for my device...
    Anyone knows how to edit that file?

Also,
    Anyone knows how to "make up" the software v ersion ?
    Is that something that is done in the new betas ?

Thanks,

Manuel
    07-12-09 04:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD