Can someone please let me know where a legitimate place to buy an unlocked 9900?(of corse when its availabe) if AT&T really does push back the release to October while other carriers release it in august I will not extend my contract with them or give them my hard earned money for the phone. Thanks
    07-29-11 10:25 AM
    eBay? I'm sure there will be some UK or other European sites that will sell them as well, but I'm positive that eBay will have some as well.
    07-29-11 10:30 AM
    Thanks! I will try eBay. Just out or curioucsty, should I not tell them I have an unlocked device or does it not matter? I know I cvan just pop in my sim card but should I keep my mouth shut when talking to them. Also, can I still get insurance through att? Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-11 11:59 AM
    If you get it on eBay then att won't give you insurance. You can buy outside insurance if you want.
    07-29-11 12:01 PM
    it's your phone. If it's unlocked and compatible with their service, you're not obliged to purchase only ATT phones (but they want you to think that of course). But as Jason stated, you cannot get insurance from ATT since you did not purchase an ATT phone through them.
    07-29-11 12:03 PM
    also, e46 bmw's ftw!
    07-29-11 12:04 PM
    Can someone please let me know where a legitimate place to buy an unlocked 9900?(of corse when its availabe) if AT&T really does push back the release to October while other carriers release it in august I will not extend my contract with them or give them my hard earned money for the phone. Thanks
    We are all setup to support this model and the new up and coming models. In fact we have unlocked 2 of them even though it has not been released.
    07-29-11 12:09 PM
    Make sure the device you get has the 3G bands - do NOT buy a T-Mobile version as the 3G bands are different. I'd say go with a Rogers device, but the visual voice mail will not work without a tweak.

Shop around for the unlock code - many sellers on eBay have them for under a buck. You'll get the code in a matter of minutes - and you don't have to unlock it to use the device on AT&T. Unlocking it will get you a few more bucks when you re-sell though.
    07-29-11 12:18 PM
    AT&T does not care if you use a unlocked 9900 on their network. Just put in a SIM card with Blackberry service and you are ready to go. The latest DeskTop Manager sees the device as a 9900 so you are good.
    07-29-11 01:20 PM
    Make sure the device you get has the 3G bands - do NOT buy a T-Mobile version as the 3G bands are different. I'd say go with a Rogers device, but the visual voice mail will not work without a tweak.

Shop around for the unlock code - many sellers on eBay have them for under a buck. You'll get the code in a matter of minutes - and you don't have to unlock it to use the device on AT&T. Unlocking it will get you a few more bucks when you re-sell though.
    great reminder!
    a lot of 9900s out there are AWS
    07-29-11 01:24 PM
    We are all setup to support this model and the new up and coming models. In fact we have unlocked 2 of them even though it has not been released.
    Cool. Do u sell the devices unlocked or does someone just bring a device to u to unlock?

07-29-11 01:25 PM
    AT&T does not care if you use a unlocked 9900 on their network. Just put in a SIM card with Blackberry service and you are ready to go. The latest DeskTop Manager sees the device as a 9900 so you are good.
    Awesome! Where is a good place to get outside insurance since att won't insure?

07-29-11 01:26 PM
    So I can pick up a Rogers 9900 and just put my sim from my 9700 in and I'm good to go? No need to unlock?

07-29-11 01:28 PM
    I would suggest buying an unlocked Telus, Bell or Rogers 9900 from Canada. All three of those carriers will give you AT&T 3G service without any issues. BTW - You are not required to tell AT&T that you are using an unlocked device on their network. Log onto your AT&T BIS account, move your email accounts, send the AT&T service books, insert SIM, validate your BlackBerry ID on the 9900 and thats all you need. No contact with AT&T at all to do any of that. Happy 9900 hunting.

07-29-11 01:47 PM
    I would suggest buying an unlocked Telus, Bell or Rogers 9900 from Canada. All three of those carriers will give you AT&T 3G service without any issues. BTW - You are not required to tell AT&T that you are using an unlocked device on their network. Log onto your AT&T BIS account, move your email accounts, send the AT&T service books, insert SIM, validate your BlackBerry ID on the 9900 and thats all you need. No contact with AT&T at all to do any of that. Happy 9900 hunting.
    Thank you sir.

07-29-11 01:53 PM

I do not know.

I am not a believer of insurance for phones.
    07-29-11 02:33 PM
    I do not know.

I am not a believer of insurance for phones.
    Thanks anyway. I know what u mean, I've never had to use them for damage replacement but for os defects and trackball issues I have. I'm not too worried about the 9900 having those issues

Last edited by motor96; 07-29-11 at 04:14 PM.
    07-29-11 04:12 PM

Try SquareTrade. You'll need to provide proof (receipt) of the device cost and date purchased.

SquareTrade Warranties | Extended Warranties for 70% Less Than Retail | Electronics Insurance Alternative
    motor96 likes this.
    07-29-11 05:59 PM
    Wait a bit with your buy... soon there will be many devices out there and i can buy it in many places. but it's worth to wait because now it's to soon to buy a new device from the internet. you can get scammed.
    07-29-11 06:53 PM
    Looks like if I do get one from another carrier it will be Rogers. Depends on retail cost. I was gonna do a early upgrade with att depending on their retail cost. We will see. Ive never bought a phone that wasnt from the carrier that I was currently using. Worse case, I will painfully wait
    07-29-11 07:12 PM
    Looks like if I do get one from another carrier it will be Rogers. Depends on retail cost. I was gonna do a early upgrade with att depending on their retail cost. We will see. Ive never bought a phone that wasnt from the carrier that I was currently using. Worse case, I will painfully wait
    You can always buy the Rogers device (will work on AT&T without any problems), get it unlocked for about a buck, use it until the AT&T version drops and re-sell it. Just keep it in mint condition. I used a Rogers 9780 for a bit - I was using it up to the release info on the 9900 from back in May. I decided to sell it quickly so I could re-coup most of my money before the 9900 dropped. I succeeded in the money area, but sold it way to soon. This 9000 is killing me - it's a mint device, but going from the 9780 to a 9000 is brutal.
    07-30-11 07:54 PM
    You can always buy the Rogers device (will work on AT&T without any problems), get it unlocked for about a buck, use it until the AT&T version drops and re-sell it. Just keep it in mint condition. I used a Rogers 9780 for a bit - I was using it up to the release info on the 9900 from back in May. I decided to sell it quickly so I could re-coup most of my money before the 9900 dropped. I succeeded in the money area, but sold it way to soon. This 9000 is killing me - it's a mint device, but going from the 9780 to a 9000 is brutal.
    same here, I sold my Torch (actually for $320 on ebay) and waiting for 9900, but suckers AT&T is not releasing it until Oct, in interim I am back to 9000, going from OS6 to OS 5 is brutal.. I don't know if I might get a Torch2 or 9860 if 9900 doesn't show up early enough
    Last edited by sf49ers; 07-30-11 at 08:32 PM.
    07-30-11 08:29 PM
    same here, I sold my Torch ($320 on ebay) and waiting for 9900, but suckers AT&T is not releasing it until Oct, in interim I am back to 9000, going from OS6 to OS 5 is brutal.. I don't know I might get a Torch2 or 9860 if 9900 show up early enough
    I feel your pain.......
    07-30-11 08:31 PM
    Check this seller (KING OF GADGET) through amazon.uk who ships internationaly:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...bUvbUpU6527646
    here are the rates:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/sell...bUvbUpU6527646

Release date in U.K. is the 22nd of August. So you 'll have the phone between 25th and 30nth of August.
    Last edited by enwsiths; 07-31-11 at 11:48 AM.
    07-31-11 11:45 AM
    I am new to crackberry...I currently have an iPhone 4 but I am very excited about the new Blackberry 9900 that I am thinking of buying one online...There is a website called popular electronics and samstores that are selling the 9900 for under $700... what do you guys think? Also do you know if unlocked phones would work with At&t 3G network....let me know what you think of buying one online or on Ebay....Do you think there is some issue with the pre-released version or is there something else holding up the release and that these phones are ok to buy....Thanks very much
    08-01-11 01:37 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD