IF I use no security. WPA security or WPA2 my bold can connect to wifi. As soon as I go to WEP, it wont connect even though it can get the network settings. Im using a netgear Extended range G router
    03-08-09 05:37 PM
    That's not a RIM issue, that's an issue with your specific network configuration. Don't blame RIM for something you screwed up.

Try turning off any special speed- or range-boosting features of your router. Those are non-standard, and most likely the Bold (and most WiFi devices) don't support them. They're really usually just gimmicky sales points, anyway - in my experience, they usually provide little to no real-world performance gains.

Also, why are you using WEP? WPA or WPA2 are far superior to WEP for network security.
    03-08-09 05:53 PM
    If your phone can get the network settings it has already authenticated and connected.

I agree with isaacleese on all points. Try with a standard setup, no proprietary enhancements. Then go into the WiFi connectoid configuration/properties on your phone and make sure it has the correct security type (WAP, PSK, etc) because sometimes these get munged.

And finally - don't waste your time with WEP - it's so broken it won't keep a 10 year old out. You might as well lock the door and hang the key next to the lock. Even WPA is now under suspicion, and for home users WPA2 with PSK is the desired standard of security.
    03-08-09 06:55 PM
    That's not a RIM issue, that's an issue with your specific network configuration. Don't blame RIM for something you screwed up.

Try turning off any special speed- or range-boosting features of your router. Those are non-standard, and most likely the Bold (and most WiFi devices) don't support them. They're really usually just gimmicky sales points, anyway - in my experience, they usually provide little to no real-world performance gains.

Also, why are you using WEP? WPA or WPA2 are far superior to WEP for network security.
    Dont be a toolbag, theres nothing to screw up when setting it up. If the other features work on WPA or WPA2, they should work on WEP. :facepalm:
    03-08-09 06:56 PM
    Dont be a toolbag, theres nothing to screw up when setting it up. If the other features work on WPA or WPA2, they should work on WEP. :facepalm:
    1. Use WPA2 if your equipment can support it.
    2. Don't use WEP
    3. Your equipment is broken because I just tried to connect to a DLink router with WEP, WPA, WPA2 and every setting works.
    03-08-09 07:46 PM
    why would you use WEP over WPA/2?

in any case, mine seems to work fine on WEP with .237.
    03-08-09 08:07 PM
    No problem with wifi on .237. I can connect to dlink and netgear with wep or wpa.
    I suggest checking your router settings.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-08-09 08:19 PM
    Not necessarily.

Why are you trying to use WEP and not WPA/WPA2? Do you have some other device that only supports WEP?

Also, have you tried turning off any proprietary speed- or range-boosting features of the router?
    03-08-09 08:53 PM
    get a linksys router
    03-08-09 10:10 PM
    90% of the time it is the inability of the router to give the proper signal to the phone. Some times you have to access though the browser>bookmarks>wifi login rather than though 'network connections'.
    03-09-09 04:19 PM
    I've been able to connect using WEP at home, LEAP at work and WPA at a conference. No problems.
    03-09-09 04:46 PM
    WiFi has always worked on my bold .

Using the base .167 and WPA.
    03-09-09 05:06 PM
    WiFi connects fine here; however, it is garbage. 3G seems faster than WiFi imho.
    03-09-09 05:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD