I have been seeing people talking about whatsapp on their phones and and just wondering how does it differ than regular texting? Also, do your contacts have to have it installed on their phones for it to work?

Downloading it as I am typing this here.
    04-03-13 06:15 PM
    It is much more feature-rich than texting.

First off, there's tons (hundreds?) of emoticons, if that's your thing.

For you to communicate through WhatsApp with someone, they must have it installed. But here's the cool thing: WhatsApp auto-populates its own contact list (which it calls Favorites) with all of your regular contacts that have WhatsApp.

WhatsApp has a great Group Chat functionality, like BBM Groups, but obviously cross-platform.
    04-03-13 06:23 PM
    Ok cool so now I have to get my friend to install it on her BB. She does not like BBM and I do so we just use the normal texting.
    04-03-13 06:27 PM
    Just tell her nothing to lose.
    It's free for at least your first year, you don't have to do anything to add contacts, and you can just delete it if you don't like it.

To start a new chat you have to open WhatsApp, but otherwise your active chats are in the Hub. (Under Notifications for now.)

This is how you CB10, son!
    04-05-13 04:16 PM
    Quick question on this.. just installed whatsapp
    All MY contacts were searched in the app and I see their profile, my questions is if they do not have me saved on their phone, will they see me that I got the app?? or only the people that have each other on their contacts are able to see each other??
    I deleted a lot of people throughout the years, but if they have whatsapp i dont want them see my profile..
    04-06-13 12:08 AM
    @gman9900 People who have you number in their contacts will see you in their whatsapp favorites list. BUT you have an option to block them if they harass you or anything.
    gman9900 likes this.
    04-07-13 06:48 AM
    Quick question on this.. just installed whatsapp
    All MY contacts were searched in the app and I see their profile, my questions is if they do not have me saved on their phone, will they see me that I got the app?? or only the people that have each other on their contacts are able to see each other??
    I deleted a lot of people throughout the years, but if they have whatsapp i dont want them see my profile..
    If they still have your mobile number in their cell phone Contacts, they will automatically 'see' that you are now on WhatsApp.
    gman9900 likes this.
    04-07-13 07:03 AM
    @gman9900 People who have you number in their contacts will see you in their whatsapp favorites list. BUT you have an option to block them if they harass you or anything.
    Only if they make the first move. That's when you block them. You won't be able to preempt them contacting you, nor can you make yourself invisible.
    04-07-13 07:04 AM
    thanks for the info, but I ended up deleting the app, work related cant have that info stating when I was online.. I confirmed that even if you dont have them in your contacts but they just saved you on theirs, they could see the 'last seen and online" status
    04-07-13 01:42 PM