This is not an attack but I honestly need some clarification here, and everyones 2 cents will be read because I'm totally lost here.

With the release of the 9700, and the essex I'm guessing will be housed with wifi and a trackpad, what's the point people. Why is RIM making another Bold 2 with a new name, but specification wise is the same device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-09 07:19 AM
    CDMA vs GSM That probably sums it up.

12-01-09 08:05 AM
    Ok now that's what I was thinking, but why give it another name seems like a waste of time but hey whatever floats your boat I guess.

12-01-09 08:38 AM
    This is not an attack but I honestly need some clarification here, and everyones 2 cents will be read because I'm totally lost here.

With the release of the 9700, and the essex I'm guessing will be housed with wifi and a trackpad, what's the point people. Why is RIM making another Bold 2 with a new name, but specification wise is the same device.

You should check out the essex vs bold 9700 thread on here maybe that would carify things up for you a bit and as I remember the origanal bols was slot differant looking than the tour1. Then they come out with bold 9700 and it looks like the tour1 except updated so if anything they should have called the bold the new tour......and the tour 2. Is going to be the upgrade of the tour 1 just my opinion.

12-01-09 09:21 AM
    the difference is GSM phone VS a CDMA phone.. the Essex is only a code name for the phone.. it will probably be called Tour 2 when its out
    12-01-09 09:26 AM
    You should check out the essex vs bold 9700 thread on here maybe that would carify things up for you a bit and as I remember the origanal bols was slot differant looking than the tour1. Then they come out with bold 9700 and it looks like the tour1 except updated so if anything they should have called the bold the new tour......and the tour 2. Is going to be the upgrade of the tour 1 just my opinion.

Funny thing when I first saw the new bold that's exactly what I though. Why not name the 9700 the tour 2 and let the original bold keeps its name until another big bold came out

12-01-09 09:31 AM
    The other difference is that AT&T had an exclusivity clause on the Bold. Only AT&T could offer the Bold (like Verizon with the Storm). They still needed to update the 8830WE series, hence the different exterior build and name of the Tour.

I think the exclusivity is no longer an issue with the Bold, but since it is an upgrade for AT&T, they would just keep the same name for the GSM model. Which is why T-Mo can offer the 9700 as a Bold.
    12-01-09 11:46 AM
    The essex is suppose to be the Tour2 and it is also CDMA.
    12-01-09 02:06 PM
    The point? What's the point behind the other 5 billion Blackberry handsets out there? For RIM to make money selling you a "slightly" updated model every 6 months. Look at it this way. Tour = No OpenGL, crippled WIFI from factory (yes, the first Tour had wifi on it during design/test phase). Fast forward a few months and now you have Tour2, which might get OpenGL, might get more memory (if RIM feels like it), and gets WIFI turned on. Oh, and they'll put in the TouchPad and tell everyone to marvel at it because the TouchPad technology is so much more reliable then the trackball because everyone knows of the trackball issues with the first Tour. Everyone will nod stupidly in agreement and completely forget that there were other Blackberries around with trackballs for years that didn't have the same issues as the Tour did with its trackball mechanism. RIM... "The company that can put a positive spin on a top that's been encased in concrete."
    12-01-09 03:42 PM
    I think you make a thinking mistake by stating its RIM that turned off the WiFi. I think that was a carriers choice. The CDMA carriers needed an high end blackberry asap. RIM said ok! and the Tour was rushed through production. They took out the trackpad and turned off the wifi as the carriers did not want that yet. Thats why you had the known problems with the early batch of tours. The latest Tours coming out the last few months are rock solid from what I hear and read. No trackball issues etc.

Now they are finally releasing the Tour as they intended it to be: wifi turned on, on board storage memory of 2gb and a trackpad. Again earlier as a few other extra's having been taken out (higher end camera for example) so they can get it out as soon as the carriers want it. CDMA carriers are always behind; they see the 9700 getting released and want something similar. Its not always RIM's choice: the carriers ask and RIM tries to deliver.
    12-01-09 05:15 PM
    correct, Verizon was one of the carriers that said no to WIFI... that was NOT rims fault. And its not called touchpad, its called a trackpad which will have WIFI now built into the phone a long with 2gb onboard memory.

its amazing JRS with a post count as how as yours, you are full of crap on this subject
    12-01-09 05:25 PM
    Perhaps thats why he has that post count
    12-01-09 05:41 PM
    I would be happy with the phone if the damn trackball worked, I'm on Tour #6 since the release date.
    12-01-09 06:55 PM
    Perhaps thats why he has that post count
    i think it is a she and you are correct. people that like to argue and say crap like that end up with high post count.
    12-01-09 09:15 PM
    oh lol I could not see that she is a she..
    12-02-09 03:05 AM
    correct, Verizon was one of the carriers that said no to WIFI... that was NOT rims fault. And its not called touchpad, its called a trackpad which will have WIFI now built into the phone a long with 2gb onboard memory.

its amazing JRS with a post count as how as yours, you are full of crap on this subject
    lol, I've written in the past that RIM needs to stand up to the carriers and release what RIM wants the public to use, not what the carriers do. Do you think Apple listens to what AT&T tells them to put in an iPhone. I think not.

RIM's been behind on the game all along. They cower under the carrier's demands and they end up releasing BS hardware because of this. They flat out don't realize that they can be in complete control of the situation, yet their business mentality continues to be what it was years ago when it was a young startup. Back then they had to bow down to the big dogs because if not, the carriers and companies would go somewhere else. Well, guess what, you've got the public and corporate sectors hooked on your drug... I think it's time you took over the reigns.

Release what the users want, not the middle-man pushers (i.e. carriers). The carriers will continue to buy, they have no choice... no one else makes a Blackberry. Of course, if they're that scared to drive the market and control, that might be saying something about what RIM thinks of their own business and solution model.
    12-02-09 10:06 AM
    lol, I've written in the past that RIM needs to stand up to the carriers and release what RIM wants the public to use, not what the carriers do. Do you think Apple listens to what AT&T tells them to put in an iPhone. I think not.

RIM's been behind on the game all along. They cower under the carrier's demands and they end up releasing BS hardware because of this. They flat out don't realize that they can be in complete control of the situation, yet their business mentality continues to be what it was years ago when it was a young startup. Back then they had to bow down to the big dogs because if not, the carriers and companies would go somewhere else. Well, guess what, you've got the public and corporate sectors hooked on your drug... I think it's time you took over the reigns.

Release what the users want, not the middle-man pushers (i.e. carriers). The carriers will continue to buy, they have no choice... no one else makes a Blackberry. Of course, if they're that scared to drive the market and control, that might be saying something about what RIM thinks of their own business and solution model.

Or course Apple doesn't listen, they don't have to. They have a device that every carrier wants (whether they admit it or not). They can call their own shots. RIM is losing ground and they can't afford to demand certain controls, especially when they keep making the same device over and over, giving it a new name.
    12-02-09 12:28 PM
    It seems to be RIM's new MO...The Curve series (now with 2 new ones 8900 and the 8500) the Storm2, the Bold2, and soon to be the Tour2. Come on RIM!

Although a lot of other phone are doing this now...LG has the EnV, EnV2, EnV3, and the EnV Touch, same with the Chocolate series... The companies are just improving the design of current phones and giving it a new name (whether it's original or not). Samsung with the Glyde and now the updated Rogue. Omnia and Omnia2. Lets see an original design!
    Last edited by markhunsaker; 12-02-09 at 03:12 PM.
    12-02-09 03:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD