Hi! I'm about to buy a bold. Can anybody tell me how many hours can you use after each charging? I mean ordinary use(with BT off and WIFI off). Thanks!
    08-19-08 07:06 AM
    Hi,

With WIFI and BT off, i am getting around 16hrs.

With WIFI and BT on, i would say around 10hrs, i am not impressed with the battery life at all, in fact i have ordered an extra battery for when i travel.

Thanks,
    08-19-08 07:38 AM
    Thanks very much buddy! 16 hours is really not a good news for me. I get only 30 around short messages and 15 to 20 minutes talking on phone per day(maybe 30 minutes music time). My iphone can last at least 48 hours under that. Can bold do it? My previous phone is BB8800 and I think 8800's battery is good enough for me.
    08-19-08 08:00 AM
    Hi,

With WIFI and BT off, i am getting around 16hrs.

With WIFI and BT on, i would say around 10hrs, i am not impressed with the battery life at all, in fact i have ordered an extra battery for when i travel.

Thanks,
    I currently get around 16 hours on my 8310 with:
    1 hour talk
    10 to 20 texts
    50 to 100 emails
    BT on

I hope the BOLD will last me the day!
    08-19-08 08:03 AM
    Thanks very much buddy! 16 hours is really not a good news for me. I get only 30 around short messages and 15 to 20 minutes talking on phone per day(maybe 30 minutes music time). My iphone can last at least 48 hours under that. Can bold do it? My previous phone is BB8800 and I think 8800's battery is good enough for me.

I think now with all the ad on's, media etc, the battery life on the Bold is not going to be good, in fact, i can tell you from weeks of using this device, its not that great.

In my oponion Apple 3G Iphone wins this one, hands down........
    08-19-08 08:06 AM
    Thanks all. I like bold very much. But battery life is really a big problem to me. It seems that I have to wait for a bit longer.
    08-19-08 08:18 AM
    If you check out the internet for iPhone 3G battery life, you'll notice it's no better:

Round Up: Nine iPhone 3G Battery Life Test Results

Under 3 hours on the low end (mixed use) to 5:50 on the high end.

3G kills the battery on any phone... that's just how it is at the moment.

According to these numbers, it seems the Bold isn't that bad, so I wouldn't jump to any conclusions yet until the Bold is out and reviewed by several different sources, just like the iPhone 3G has been.
    08-19-08 08:39 AM
    Your Bold can run all week on a single charge if you never make a call and cripple it. Here's what reduces battery life:

• 3G eats more batteries than anything else; turn it off and settle for EDGE
    • WiFi is a constant drain; turn it off
    • Same for GPS and Bluetooth; off
    • The backlight, media player, cameras and applications, ditto
    So if you want to really max the battery life, turn everything off and leave the battery and the phone in the box.

Geez Louise - they conjured up the best, beefiest, most versatile handset ever and when you put the pedal to the metal, it drains the tank faster. Do you guys expect 80MPG from an Escalade?

If you need to buy a second or third battery, do it. I prefer the Tekkeon solutions - a little bulkier but a little beefier.

My first cell phone was a Panasonic on a shoulder strap - the thing was the size of a lunchbox and the weight of a cement block with a standard phone style handset on a curly cord up to - it was good for about 3 hours of standby and 10 minutes oif talk time. So pardon me if I don't complain about needing to boost a battery a few times a day.
    08-19-08 08:44 AM
    Well said!

CWG

Your Bold can run all week on a single charge if you never make a call and cripple it. Here's what reduces battery life:

• 3G eats more batteries than anything else; turn it off and settle for EDGE
    • WiFi is a constant drain; turn it off
    • Same for GPS and Bluetooth; off
    • The backlight, media player, cameras and applications, ditto
    So if you want to really max the battery life, turn everything off and leave the battery and the phone in the box.

Geez Louise - they conjured up the best, beefiest, most versatile handset ever and when you put the pedal to the metal, it drains the tank faster. Do you guys expect 80MPG from an Escalade?

If you need to buy a second or third battery, do it. I prefer the Tekkeon solutions - a little bulkier but a little beefier.

My first cell phone was a Panasonic on a shoulder strap - the thing was the size of a lunchbox and the weight of a cement block with a standard phone style handset on a curly cord up to - it was good for about 3 hours of standby and 10 minutes oif talk time. So pardon me if I don't complain about needing to boost a battery a few times a day.
    08-19-08 08:59 AM
    Thanks! I just wanna know how long can it last under the generally use. 3G is meaningless to me right now because I live in China.
    08-19-08 09:03 AM
    How easy is it to switch 3g on/off on the bold?

For most uses 3g is not necessary for me so leaving it switched off until I really need it would make sense. On my curve I am going days between a charge.
    08-19-08 09:31 AM
    How easy is it to switch 3g on/off on the bold?

For most uses 3g is not necessary for me so leaving it switched off until I really need it would make sense. On my curve I am going days between a charge.
    08-19-08 09:32 AM
    I've found another review from zdnet. It said that the battery can last three days.
    08-19-08 08:30 PM
    It took some digging, but I found the zdnet review that legendmj23 is talking about:

BlackBerry Bold 9000: Reviews - Hardware - Mobiles and PDAs - ZDNet Australia

The good part:

"Perhaps more important to maintaining the BlackBerry reputation is ensuring excellent battery life, and again RIM has succeeded, with the Bold showing some of the longest battery cycles for smartphones with its range of connectivity features. During our tests we've maintained 3.5G and Wi-Fi connectivity, enabled push email on two separate services, and made moderate use of calls and messaging, and had enjoyed at least three days between charges."
    08-19-08 08:41 PM
    I need to charge every day but I'm a fairly heavy user of sms and web (not quite as much voice).
    08-19-08 08:57 PM
    I'm not a heavey user with only 20-30 sms and 15-25 minutes on talking per day. Maybe half an hour on web through WIFI. I don't know if it can last two days under it.
    08-19-08 09:22 PM
    Got another review from pcpro:

Usually this sort of specification is enough to drain a smartphone of its juice in two or three days, especially if you use the GPS frequently. But the Bold is different. It has a high-powered, high-capacity 1,500mAh lithium polymer battery under its backplate and, in testing, this lasted three and a half days before a charge was required. In that time we used the GPS a few times, did a lot of surfing and had the email service running constantly. It's an impressive performance that matches that of the Nokia E71 with ease.
    08-19-08 10:01 PM
    confused......
    08-19-08 10:24 PM
    08-19-08 10:25 PM
    I think now with all the ad on's, media etc, the battery life on the Bold is not going to be good, in fact, i can tell you from weeks of using this device, its not that great.

In my opinion Apple 3G Iphone wins this one, hands down........
    did u say an apple product has good battery life? WAW
    remember the battery life on the first iphone? or the earlier generations of ipods? or the class action law suit apple lost in canada cuz they advertised battery life to be something and it was considerably less??

i know about 5 people that have the iphone 3g, and apart form the 3g and touch sensitivity issues which are gonna be fixed with an update, everyone says the battery life is as horrible as the first iphone, which was pretty bad.

i give apple credit where its due, im not one of those haters that just bash the iphone cuz its from apple or a non RIM device, but battery life is the #1 issue i have heard about from the iphone 3g. my close friend cant even make through his 9-5 job without recharging it.

also, i knew someone that had a pre released bold and he said that once he updated the firmware on it the battery life improved, so i would say if anyone is using a pre released bold, that might be the issue. and 3g, be it iphone, bold or any other device uses quite a bit of battery power and people aren't accustom to that cuz 3g handsets are relatively new to most consumers.
    Last edited by avmsam; 08-19-08 at 10:38 PM.
    08-19-08 10:34 PM
    Your cell provider probably has a return policy (AT&T's is 30 days), so I'd suggest getting the Bold and if you don't like it, return it! That's pretty much the worst thing that can happen! However, reviews seem to be pretty positive about the battery life, so I say go for it!
    08-19-08 10:34 PM
    Javelin, anyone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-08 11:52 PM
    The third preview of bold:
    3G without the battery crisis

It is on battery life where the Bold breaks clear of the 3G smartphone pack. The iPhone 3G's battery life in moderate use is poor. The Nokia is better, but still lags behind a conventional phone-only handset.

The Bold on the other hand has maintained RIM's legendary record for battery life, despite the move to 3G. Battery tests are on-going at the time of writing, but in early moderate use tests with the GPS receiver switched on the whole time, we managed four days from a full charge, with around 20 per cent still left in the tank before we plugged it back in to the mains.

For this reason alone, we see little reason not to choose a Bold as your smartphone of choice. If you are looking at this as a consumer, you won't be disappointed either.

link:BlackBerry Bold review - Smartphone Reviews -Know Your Mobile
    08-20-08 01:11 AM
    Seeing as the bold has a 1500 battery I would expect it to get at least as good of time between charges as the 8330. The 8330 is rated at 4.5 hrs talk time. I have made educated estimates for how long you get out of certain tasks on it elsewhere on the forum. In a nut shell:

Upto 9 hrs heavy processing (ex watching video)
    Upto 12 hrs moderate processing (ex music)
    Upto 16 hrs light processing (browsing, texting)

Talk time is the biggest drain on the battery followed by GPS navigating, followed by heavy processing tasks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-08 01:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD