I am just curious as to what exactly the Onyx will have over the Bold? I know Apple is taking a lot of flak from people for releasing the 3G S so soon after the 3G and all it really added was a slightly better camera, minor tweaks in performance/speed, and video recording/voice control capabilities.

All I know so far is that the Onyx will have the 3.2 MP camera found in the Curve 8900 and an increase of internal ram to 256 mb... but other than that it's almost the same?
    06-23-09 03:38 AM
    It's greatly a new design and as rumors are saying it's having an optical trackpad.

Maybe it'll sport a new faster processor. But nothing more than speculations
    06-23-09 04:59 AM
    I am sure it would have a faster processor...and would also have 5.0, but that's just my guess.

I think the optical trackball idea is great. The old ones have problems and get gunk stuck in them. With the optical, this is not an issue.
    06-23-09 09:50 AM
    it doubles as a cheese grater.
    06-23-09 10:02 AM
    This is an evolution of the Curve I think, since it takes everything the curve has and just ups a few things, mainly 3g. I think the next bold iteration, will have a 4g enabled radio
    06-23-09 10:07 AM
    Main improvements I've heard are supposedly the camera, the memory, and either a trackpad or the atomic trackball. And it will likely be running OS 5.0. It's likely there could be more improvements as well.
    06-23-09 10:30 AM
    This is an evolution of the Curve I think, since it takes everything the curve has and just ups a few things, mainly 3g. I think the next bold iteration, will have a 4g enabled radio
    If this is right that would profit the price tag
    But as discussed in other topics it should be a BOLD refresh.
    06-23-09 01:33 PM
    Onyx is in the Bold line, not the curve. Onyx is the 9020.
    06-23-09 01:37 PM
    Onyx is in the Bold line, not the curve. Onyx is the 9020.
    Sith is right... it's an updated Bold with the trackpad as the main attraction as it goes for now. minor changes here and there, but if it's an improvement on the bold then it's gonna be mind blowing.
    06-23-09 04:41 PM
    from what i gather

more memory
    smaller form factor
    better screen (8900 curve screen)
    better camera
    trackpad
    06-23-09 04:46 PM
    from what i gather

more memory
    smaller form factor
    better screen (8900 curve screen)
    better camera
    trackpad
    Hmmm... The more memory would be welcome as would the camera, but i'm not sold on trackpads. I haven't had any problems with the trackball so far and if it't not broke why fix it. The screen is the curve screen but is it also smaller than the bolds? I actually like the size of the Bold and found the curve too small.

I guess I'll have to wait till the concrete details are worked out but most likely from what I've been hearing I will skip the Onyx and wait it out with my Bold for the "next" big thing.
    06-23-09 08:29 PM
    If Verizon and Sprint are getting the "Tour" whats AT&T getting?

I just got off the phone with RIM support and was led to believe that AT&T is getting the Tour as well-

reply to [email protected]
    06-23-09 08:39 PM
    is this gonna have wifi?
    06-24-09 12:03 AM
    I get the feeling from descriptions read that you are all well underestimating the device. Everything on the Onyx will be an update save the battery. Proc, mem, screen, camera, trackball to pad, Smaller form factor... Just like the Curve got a major upgrade, so too the Bold.
    06-24-09 12:51 AM
    is this gonna have wifi?
    It sure does!
    06-24-09 12:52 AM
    I get the feeling from descriptions read that you are all well underestimating the device. Everything on the Onyx will be an update save the battery. Proc, mem, screen, camera, trackball to pad, Smaller form factor... Just like the Curve got a major upgrade, so too the Bold.
    But it's not a major upgrade... The reviews so far have pegged the processor as almost similar. They don't know if its better or worse. Also, the screen is almost the same. People say there is no discernible difference to the human eye between the 480x 320 Bold and 480 x 360 Curve resolutions. Especially if the screen is physically smaller.

Camera is an update over the bold's but its still only the same as the current Curve/Storm ones I believe. Smaller form factor works against it for those who don't like the new smaller blackberry's (myself included).

And the jury is still out on the trackpad because some people love the trackball etc...

And the memory is only slightly more at 256 mb over the 128 mb of the bold. I still haven't come close to using all of it or slowing down with 128 mb so I don't know why 256 mb will be a HUGE upgrade.

To me, it seems the Onyx will be a marginal upgrade over the Bold. Similar to how the Iphone 3G S was a slight upgrade over the 3G. I guess i'll wait and see when it releases. Plus I'm hearing that O.S. 5.0 will be released for the Bold soon.
    06-24-09 02:53 AM
    Something's missing in there as CX said Mass Production had been pushed back because the technology wasn't ready. I can't imagine that he was speaking of firmware or something to that direction so I figure it was a processor or something along those lines. If the tech is just now ready. It's gotta be something major. Right?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-09 04:40 PM
    Something's missing in there as CX said Mass Production had been pushed back because the technology wasn't ready. I can't imagine that he was speaking of firmware or something to that direction so I figure it was a processor or something along those lines. If the tech is just now ready. It's gotta be something major. Right?

It's been pushed back up to an earlier date. And the problem would not have been the OS, IMO it's perfectly fine. I thought 0.9 was fine, but 5.0.0.111 is a lot better!
    06-24-09 04:43 PM
    It's been pushed back up to an earlier date. And the problem would not have been the OS, IMO it's perfectly fine. I thought 0.9 was fine, but 5.0.0.111 is a lot better!
    Like you know what you are talking about "AUSCH"

LOL LOL LOL hahahaha
    06-24-09 05:47 PM
    If the onyx is smaller then doesn't that mean its following the curve as opposed to the bold?

Edit: I much prefer the bold size as opposed to the curve.

Last edited by si_chindo; 06-24-09 at 07:14 PM.
    06-24-09 07:10 PM
    If the onyx is smaller then doesn't that mean its following the curve as opposed to the bold?

Yes and no. You could say it's following the 8900 as in size but Bold as in power. The Tour is bigger as well, but it's not better imo.
    Last edited by Sinternet Jr.; 06-24-09 at 07:32 PM.
    06-24-09 07:30 PM
    Like you know what you are talking about "AUSCH"

LOL LOL LOL hahahaha
    Lol, *dials and calls ***** "Can I cancel that order?"
    06-24-09 09:57 PM
    111 is not good. Still have many problems. But beta team asking for much feedback as possible! Production has moved up. Vodafone have november launch planned.
    06-25-09 01:13 PM
    The bold has 3g and edge, does the Onyx have 3g and enhanced edge akin to the 8900 curve or does it have normal edge.
    06-28-09 11:24 AM

Agreed.
    I liked my 8900 but the size and keyboard was the factor in going to the Bold.
    Much easier to type.
    06-28-09 02:33 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD