hello,

can someone tell me please if we can go on internet on our bold 9900 with only a wifi connection and no data subcription to any operator?,

when I switch the network off, I can't go on internet.

thank you
    06-08-13 02:48 PM
    1) If you have an active BIS plan, the service books for having the ability to browse the net, BBM, etc. will be loaded on the phone, hence, even without the DATA network, you will still be able to use WiFi to access everything.
    If you don't have an active BIS plan, then nothing will work since the phone doesn't have the necessary service books.

2) WiFi will speed up your experience be it downloading files, surfing the web etc, so it compliments the existing network connection
    Amy wineBerry and titika like this.
    06-08-13 03:00 PM
    No, you need the WiFi service books which only get sent to the device if you have a BlackBerry data plan.
    06-08-13 03:01 PM
    yes i do have a BIS active, wifi active too, but I do not have the impression that the wifi is working, seems like the data network only on my phone
    06-08-13 03:04 PM
    1) If you have an active BIS plan, the service books for having the ability to browse the net, BBM, etc. will be loaded on the phone, hence, even without the DATA network, you will still be able to use WiFi to access everything.
    If you don't have an active BIS plan, then nothing will work since the phone doesn't have the necessary service books.

2) WiFi will speed up your experience be it downloading files, surfing the web etc, so it compliments the existing network connection
    2) I think that's a specificity of blackberrys right? i could have internet even with no simcard on my samsung or LG
    06-08-13 03:06 PM
    yes i do have a BIS active, wifi active too, but I do not have the impression that the wifi is working, seems like the data network only on my phone
    If you turn off network data and just use your phone on wifi, what happens? Specifically, try the BlackBerry browser, BBM, email, etc. if you have a third party browser downloaded as well, see what happens when you try and surf the web.

Given that BIS is active, you should be able to do everything that your network data would allow.

Wifi is meant to provide a faster data connection (in theory). In general, it is also a more consistent and stable connection so your device does not have to work as hard to maintain the connection.
    BullGuard8 and Legal Eagle like this.
    06-08-13 04:22 PM
    If you turn off network data and just use your phone on wifi, what happens? Specifically, try the BlackBerry browser, BBM, email, etc. if you have a third party browser downloaded as well, see what happens when you try and surf the web.

Given that BIS is active, you should be able to do everything that your network data would allow.

Wifi is meant to provide a faster data connection (in theory). In general, it is also a more consistent and stable connection so your device does not have to work as hard to maintain the connection.
    if I turn off the network data, I can't do anything. browser, bbm, etc, the message on the browser, server not found.
    the wifi has no problem, all the other devices of the house work perfectly.
    06-08-13 06:21 PM
    if I turn off the network data, I can't do anything. browser, bbm, etc, the message on the browser, server not found.
    the wifi has no problem, all the other devices of the house work perfectly.
    So with your data on, you can use your browser, BBM, etc.? If yes, try resending your service books to your device. (This can be done through settings.)
    06-08-13 06:31 PM
    DO NOT turn off data services. That is your issue right there. You just solved the problem, leave them on all the time and just turn on wifi and then it will work properly and you can surf the web. Turning them off turns all data off. Remember that.
    06-08-13 10:26 PM
    It might depend on your provider but I am able to use any phone that has wifi and connect to wifi without any service, have tried it on 9900 and the Q10 very recently with network on and no sim card

Q10, 9900, 9780, 8330, 7520, 7510 And Playbook!
    06-08-13 10:32 PM
    Yes the phone can be used without sim card on wifi.
    Just make sure that both data and wifi are enabled.
    If you don't want to use wifi , disable it .( only wifi )
    Now the phone is functioning with data only.

This is the way BB's work.
    ( don't know about BB 10 )
    06-09-13 12:48 AM
    Yes the phone can be used without sim card on wifi.
    Just make sure that both data and wifi are enabled.
    If you don't want to use wifi , disable it .( only wifi )
    Now the phone is functioning with data only.

This is the way BB's work.
    ( don't know about BB 10 )
    There's something I don't understand.

I have 5 connections:
    - Mobile network
    - wifi
    - mobile hotspot
    - bluetooth
    - NFC

my problem is, that wether I'm downloading, browsing the web, bbm, whatsapp, etc..., I'm sure my wifii is useless since everything is so slow.

if i turn off the first (mobile network) I can't have any access to internet altough th wifi is on, is connected, and works fine on any other devices in my house.

so, generally in my phone, both data and wifi are enabled, but IM SURE only the BIS from the operator is used for the internet.
    06-09-13 04:59 AM
    Mobile Network is plainly obvious and SHOULD be kept on at all times. Turning it off basically cuts off data if it won't carry over to wifi. I also encourage you to check with your internet service provider to investigate if the connection on your and their end isn't good. If it's always "slow", the ping could be bad, including packet loss. When was the last time you rebooted the router or DSL modem?Also, BIS is mainly what's used to browse the web and send/receive e-mails, including what apps use too. Turning data off cuts it off, which you've been doing.Mobile Hotspot allows you to share your data with 5 devices that use wifi, it uses the wap/cellular connection instead of BIS. THAT should be OFF if you aren't using it, same for wifi. Bluetooth and NFC should also be off if not in use.
    There's something I don't understand.I have 5 connections: - Mobile network- wifi- mobile hotspot- bluetooth- NFCmy problem is, that wether I'm downloading, browsing the web, bbm, whatsapp, etc..., I'm sure my wifii is useless since everything is so slow.if i turn off the first (mobile network) I can't have any access to internet altough th wifi is on, is connected, and works fine on any other devices in my house.so, generally in my phone, both data and wifi are enabled, but IM SURE only the BIS from the operator is used for the internet.
    06-09-13 05:04 AM
    Another remark:

I tried the ping application (with Google), and the result with WLAN connections is
    503: NO DNS results isnt it there the problem?
    configuring the DNS?
    06-09-13 05:19 AM
    Do you see the wifi icon on your BB? It looks like a dot at the bottom and 4 arc lines over the dot. If that's lit up ( ie, all or some of the lines are in bold text) you're using wifi. Maybe the wifi is turned on but there is no wifi connected. Check in options, networks and connections, wifi network.
    06-09-13 08:52 AM
    When you connect the Bold to the wifi network :

Do you see the wifi symbol come on in the top right corner ?
    Your wifi network name appears beside your mobile provider ?

At this point the BB symbol shows beside the wifi symbol ?

If so , all is good !
    Your on wifi , BIS is active.

Now go on the native browser enter the adress of your router.
    Check the logs make sure device is listed.
    Make certain there are no conflicts with other devices.

At this point If everything is ok & phone is still slow - then problem is on phone.

Make sure you have latest OS installed ,turn off apps that may be running in background.

Sometimes you may have conflicts with apps that are installed on phone , that has to be corrected.

You have received many posts with great advice - you need to spend some time & figure things out.
    This is definitely the place for it !
    06-09-13 09:10 AM
    When you connect the Bold to the wifi network :

Do you see the wifi symbol come on in the top right corner ?
    Your wifi network name appears beside your mobile provider ?

At this point the BB symbol shows beside the wifi symbol ?

If so , all is good !
    Your on wifi , BIS is active.

Now go on the native browser enter the adress of your router.
    Check the logs make sure device is listed.
    Make certain there are no conflicts with other devices.

At this point If everything is ok & phone is still slow - then problem is on phone.

Make sure you have latest OS installed ,turn off apps that may be running in background.

Sometimes you may have conflicts with apps that are installed on phone , that has to be corrected.

You have received many posts with great advice - you need to spend some time & figure things out.
    This is definitely the place for it !
    wifi symbol - yes
    wifi name - yes
    but
    no BB symbol beside the wifi symbol.
    on the native browser : if I enter 192.168.1.1,(the router adress) the message is error, the requested url could not be retrieved
    if I enter for example www. google. com, no problem, all is fine.
    the router is DHCP active.
    06-09-13 01:07 PM
    maybe a problem of certificate? root certificate?
    06-09-13 02:55 PM
    My wife always worked on my 9700 without bis, same with my dad on his 9360. Personally I've never come across an experience where one with a BlackBerry and without a bis plan of any sort couldn't use wifi for apps and the browser. I know some people have trouble but it has never been my experience.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 03:03 PM
    Did you register your device on the wireless network ?
    06-09-13 03:07 PM
    Did you register your device on the wireless network ?
    yes, I mean, I don't have too, since the wireless neetwork is mine, i'm the one managing the router for my home devices
    06-09-13 03:13 PM
    On your phone select options / device / advanced system settings / host routing table , now press BB key & choose register now.
    You should receive confirmation of registration.
    06-09-13 04:42 PM
    On your phone select options / device / advanced system settings / host routing table , now press BB key & choose register now.
    You should receive confirmation of registration.
    OK
    the message : " ...registered with the mobile network"
    it seems like i should have the small BB icon next to the wifi icon to know that I have internet access through wifi, but i still don't have it
    06-09-13 05:00 PM
    Is it possible to browse on wifi with another browser ?
    ( Opera mini for example )

Did you check if there was any conflicts on your router ?
    Was the BB listed on DHCP client table ?

Is your BB's OS the latest if not update , if it is try re - installing .
    ( Always backup your info before )
    06-09-13 05:35 PM
    OK
    the message : " ...registered with the mobile network"
    it seems like i should have the small BB icon next to the wifi icon to know that I have internet access through wifi, but i still don't have it
    Are you getting the BlackBerry icon when you are connected to the carrier network?
    06-09-13 06:00 PM
35 12