Hey. Umm I need some info about application memory, what it does (what its used for) and how it works. I always get different answers. My phone tells me I only have about 35mb of application memory. Is it different from the 1GB of internal device memory.? Can I use some of that 1GB for my app memory? I ask this coz after a while of using my phone it drops down to about 10Mbs or so but the phone still seems to work ok but what it does do is delete all my sms, mms or email messages. I always close programs that I am not using so what is using my memory and how can I stop it deleting my messages?
    Also when I use the memory clean tool in options-security-memory clean it don't seem to do anything that I can see. I check my app memory and I can't see any free memory come back. The only time I get it back is when I pull the battery out
    Cheers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by FireFly3; 07-19-09 at 09:32 AM.
    07-19-09 09:29 AM
    You definitely have an app or more than one app eating memory. And, despite your impressions, you may also not be closing them properly.

Also, newer OS's manage memory better.

What apps do you have open right now?
    07-19-09 09:35 AM
    Also what OS are you running??
    07-19-09 09:37 AM
    App memory is RAM or Flash memory for application use. It is seperate from the 1GB of internal memory.

One of you applications/themes might be leaking memory. Also, others are having great success freeing app memory simply by upgrading their OS to .282.

Deleted items problem: Go to Messages>Message Options>General Options and under "Actions" select your preference for how long you want to "Keep Messages".
    07-19-09 09:37 AM
    At the moment I have 4 apps running, 90% of the time I only ever have them 4 running simply because of the fact I don't think you can shut them down. They are: phone, home, messages and blackberry messenger. One would think I can shut berry messenger down but I can't seem to do that. Also when I close the apps I use I shut them down by pressing berry button then scrolling down to close I don't just hit the back or red hang up button. Is there another way of fully shutting down apps I use? And also on my messages setting, it is set to keep messages forever. I am using OS 4.6.0.282

07-19-09 10:06 AM
    synwars, what do you mean by one of my applications or themes may be leaking memory? If so, how do I find if it is and stop it.? Cheers mate.

07-19-09 10:08 AM
    Using any themes? Or any social networking apps or RSS feeds that might be running in the background.

It does sound like you are closing things properly.

If you are having memory problems like that on .282, I feel it's got to be app or theme related. It's a great OS for memory management.
    07-19-09 10:10 AM
    A memory leak can come from an application that doesn't properly release the memory it uses while running when it is no longer running. And some themes are horrible for running down memory. But not the ones that come with the phone.
    07-19-09 10:12 AM
    Umm I have one custom theme on my phone but I decided I didn't like it so I don't use it, I'm using the default one that come with my phone. I have myspace and fecebook apps but I have shut them both down, no rss feeds. Also do you know if I can unistall applications and included sample data that comes with the phone using the device itself or can that only be done in the app loader on a computer?

07-19-09 10:15 AM
    A memory leak can come from an application that doesn't properly release the memory it uses while running when it is no longer running. And some themes are horrible for running down memory. But not the ones that come with the phone.
    Hrrrmmm haha okay then. Well I think I might flash my berry when I get home from work and reinstall the latest OS again and start from scratch.. I have a few 3rd party apps on here but don't use them too much so I might just delete them and just stick with the 3 I do use then.

07-19-09 10:20 AM
    I think people have had problems with the facebook app, but I'm not sure what the solution is, as I don't use it.

Depends on what you want to uninstall - sample pics cannot be removed from the phone or from the DM. You have to use a program like CrackMem. But you can delete a lot of things from your phone yourself.

Options>Advanced options>Applications.....

You've got something going on with that phone! Generally, to really figure it out, you delete one app/theme at a time, pull the battery, and see how the phone performs. You can usually figure it out by elimination. You should have a good chunk of memory available and stable all day long.
    07-19-09 10:21 AM
    Hrrrmmm haha okay then. Well I think I mite flash my berry when I get home from work and reinstall the latest OS again and start from scratch.. I have a fe 3rd party apps on here but don't use them too much so I mite just delete them and just stick with the 3 I do use then.

Well you shouldn't have to reinstall the OS - it's not causing you any problems. But at least it's a plan of attack!

Good luck. Let us know what happens.
    07-19-09 10:22 AM
    Ha yeah I will. I think I'm going to give the myspace and facebook apps a miss now lol to be honest I'm over using them, these days I just goto the site from my browser, the only one I will keep I think is my windows live messenger.

07-19-09 10:26 AM
    Try it and see what happens. But of course you want to have the apps that you want to have. There are a few I would never give up.

07-19-09 10:30 AM
    Yeah that right. I have delete most of the ones I don't use now. I'm gonna restart my berry n see how it goes. But anyway cheers for the help guys! I gotta get back to work and actually do something lol

07-19-09 10:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD