I just spent close to an hour at a Verizon store playing with this device and wow is it impressive! The only reason I didn't walk out with one is because I want to test drive the 9850 first...but I will tell you that phone better be impressive or I will be all over the bold.

Anyone else thinking about comparing the two before buying?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-11 05:45 PM
    I just spent close to an hour at a Verizon store playing with this device and wow is it impressive! The only reason I didn't walk out with one is because I want to test drive the 9850 first...but I will tell you that phone better be impressive or I will be all over the bold.

I wasn't impressed with the 9930 that much. I saw some great potential, but just didn't feel like having to fix stuff before it would work properly. I tried four 9930's and one 9900 as a comparison. all were way to squirley in the browser dept for me. I know another os could be loaded and maybe help it out, but I just didn't feel like messing with it.
    I will be comparing the 9850 to it tho and it being all touch I'm thinking I might get a better experience with that one over the 9930. Just my 2 cents.
    09-05-11 05:57 PM
  3. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Bold 9900 is absolutely AMAZING!! ... have been using it since August 9th! .. and no problems at all .. have used it in 6 countries in my business travels .. loving it!!
    09-05-11 06:01 PM
    I wasn't impressed with the 9930 that much. I saw some great potential, but just didn't feel like having to fix stuff before it would work properly. I tried four 9930's and one 9900 as a comparison. all were way to squirley in the browser dept for me. I know another os could be loaded and maybe help it out, but I just didn't feel like messing with it.
    I will be comparing the 9850 to it tho and it being all touch I'm thinking I might get a better experience with that one over the 9930. Just my 2 cents.
    As with all new devices they seem to be funny at first and some bugs to work out but after a few days that all goes away. I had some real issues at first and almost returned it but I didn't and I am happy with my decision.

09-05-11 06:02 PM
    This surprises me. I thought this thing was terrific and I am not impressed to easily by this stuff. I sure hope the 9850 is as impressive as I like a big screen. But even this screen was a nice size...if i didn't have such "old man eyes" I think I would have had to get the new bold. That thing is a machine in my opinion.

09-05-11 06:12 PM
    This surprises me. I thought this thing was terrific and I am not impressed to easily by this stuff. I sure hope the 9850 is as impressive as I like a big screen. But even this screen was a nice size...if i didn't have such "old man eyes" I think I would have had to get the new bold. That thing is a machine in my opinion.
    I guess I was just disappointed with the browser since I was coming from a 9650 that had a smooth as glass track pad experience. i thought it would somehow be better. Just my take, but after five devices I saw the experience was the same so thats what I would get and decided to take a pass on it. At $545 full price that was a bit much to have to swallow for a less than stellar experience. Most people don't seem to mind it , it would seem. I'm wondering if the track pad on the 9850 will be similar.
    09-05-11 06:18 PM
    I didn't consider the 9850 (I think that's the new Torch right?) because I wasn't impressed with the keyboard on the first Torch. Because of the bezel around it rises at the edge, I found it not as easy to use. One of the main reasons for me to come back to BB from Android was the keyboard so I was not going to sacrifice in that department.
    09-05-11 06:27 PM
    Verizon's torch has no physical kb. All touch slab phone.
    09-05-11 06:30 PM

Yeah, I just wanted to go "look" at the 9900 because I was less than a year into my 9780 contract.
    Walked out with the 9900, no regrets
    09-05-11 10:31 PM
    As with all new devices they seem to be funny at first and some bugs to work out but after a few days that all goes away. I had some real issues at first and almost returned it but I didn't and I am happy with my decision.

Just like every other BB (and most other smartphones), Verizon will release a MR about a month to six weeks after the release to fix a few minor bugs in the launch software, and from what I am reading this phone actually launched with better software than the 9900 on some other carriers.

There will also be leaks and other carrier releases to try, but honestly I don't really do that anymore unless it is a serious bug, got more than my fill of that with the old Storm 1 and Tour.

As for the comment above about the 9650 browser, he must be using something custom or a leak because I am running the stock browser on that phone and it is no better than the 9930 and in fact it is a little worse but that may be mostly hardware.
    09-05-11 10:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD