I'm a noob so help me out with what I do and maybe point me in the direction of good threads.

-I've got a tour now, I'm assume first thing I should do is download desktop manager and do a full backup on my tour.

- Then I probably want to update the 9900, what's the most recent/best version? I don't mind a leak as long as it's what everyone thinks is best. How do I update the 9900?

-Next I'm assuming I want to restore all my stuff/setting that I had backed up from my tour, onto the 9900?

I'm assuming transferring my contacts and all that will be fairly straight forward, I'm hoping it re adds all my bbm friends with my new pin without them even knowing I switched phones. I have no idea how to update the latest version though. Also, what about the battery. Should I charged it full and run it down to about 10 percent, twice. Or does that not even really matter?
    09-05-11 10:55 PM
    Buy a case and a screen protector. Rest is up to you. Try out stock os for a day or 2 and if u dont like it, update. Not mush of a difference tbh.
    09-05-11 10:58 PM
    I'd stay with the stock OS for now.

On your Tour use BlackBerry Protect to back up your contacts, etc.

On the 9900 you should find BB Protect is already installed under "Applications". Use that to restore your data that is from the Tour.

Or if you choose to use DM, make sure not to migrate your apps over. It can create problems. Better off to reinstall apps from scratch.

I switched by just using BB Protect. To me the desktop manager software is overkill for this purpose.
    09-05-11 11:04 PM
    First thing: brag to all of your friends. Hahaha.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Sharma15 likes this.
    09-05-11 11:13 PM
    I'd stay with the stock OS for now.

On your Tour use BlackBerry Protect to back up your contacts, etc.

On the 9900 you should find BB Protect is already installed under "Applications". Use that to restore your data that is from the Tour.

Or if you choose to use DM, make sure not to migrate your apps over. It can create problems. Better off to reinstall apps from scratch.

I switched by just using BB Protect. To me the desktop manager software is overkill for this purpose.
    i barely have any apps on the tour and i assume they won't work on 9900 anyways. all i use if facebook, yellowpages and shazam. so desktop manager will do the job as long as i de-select apps?
    09-05-11 11:16 PM
    Stay with the stock operating system.

Make sure Desktop Manager is most up to date.

Back up current device.

Use "Switch Device" on desktop manager.

You will see two boxes ... Both checked ... Contacts, adress book, organizer etc and rthe second will be 3rd party applications.

Uncheck 3rd Party apps (twitter, facebook, bbm and appworld already pre-installed)

Then follow on screen instructions.

IMPORTANT: if you already don't have a blackberry I D then GET ONE first. You will need it to restore emails account and will avoid headaches.

Then update pre-installed apps.

Finally start to re-install apps one at a time to make sure you have no conflicts.

Let the battery drain completely. Then fully charge. Repeat full drain-full charge for a few days.

You should be good at that point.

You can also, if you have blackberry I D put sim card in, log in with I D as soon as you pop in sim card. It will retrive associated emails. Then follow the steps above or you can selectively restore items. I prefer device switch wizard because new device has new operating system.

I followed device switch wizard steps above for flawless transition. Remember, you are upgrading to a new o/s which is why you should re-install 3rd party apps. Some aren't functional yet with os 7.

Good luck. Its a great device.
    Last edited by drfever; 09-05-11 at 11:21 PM.
    09-05-11 11:16 PM
    I thought I have been reading that .353 is improving battery life greatly.
    09-05-11 11:20 PM
    Stay with the stock operating system.

Make sure Desktop Manager is most up to date.

Back up current device.

Use "Switch Device" on desktop manager.

You will see two boxes ... Botch checked ... Contacts, adress book, organizer etc and rthe second will be 3rd party applications.

Uncheck 3rd Party apps (twitter, facebook, bbm and appworld already pre-installed)

Then follow on screen instructions.

IMPORTANT: if you already don't have a blackberry I D then GET ONE first. You will need it to restore emails account and will avoid headaches.

Then update pre-installed apps.

Finally start to re-install apps one at a time to make sure you have no conflicts.

Let the battery drain completely. The fully charge. Repeat full drain-full charge for a few days.

You should be good at that point.

You can also, if you have blackberry I D put sim card in, log in with I D as soon as you pop in sim card. It will retrive associated emails. Then follow the steps above or you can selectively restore items.

I followed these steps for flawless transition. Remember, you are upgrading to a new o/s which is why you should re-install 3rd party apps. Some aren't functional yet with os 7.

Good luck. Its a great device.
    Thank you, well written what's blackberry id? is that what I have to log into when i'm doing something on app world or email? im likely going to be switching providers, so i assume my email will change anyways? i really don't have much i'm worried about other than contacts and bbm contacts. anything else worth keeping is on my media card.
    09-05-11 11:22 PM
    Thank you, well written what's blackberry id? is that what I have to log into when i'm doing something on app world or email? im likely going to be switching providers, so i assume my email will change anyways? i really don't have much i'm worried about other than contacts and bbm contacts. anything else worth keeping is on my media card.
    It is the one that you use for App World. I use my email to get on to the app world. For me the same email and password for App World works for BlackBerry ID as well.

09-06-11 12:16 AM
    First thing to do once opened...smell it. So pleasant
    09-06-11 12:20 AM
    I would take some time to scan this forum so that you are aware of some of the device's potential issues. Thank goodness there aren't that many with the 9900 thus far as the quality is much better than RIM has produced lately. However, since you only have 15 days with Bell you don't want to leave it too late to notice that your call-end panel is raised inordinantly higher than the screen, as an example.
    09-06-11 12:47 AM
    Get some wipes out... for the drool
    09-06-11 05:39 AM
    Seriously though, u gotta brag a bit . Have fun with it

09-06-11 05:56 AM
    Just relax and take it slow as far as doing anything except getting your personal info on it. Install Desktop Manager and BACK IT UP as you go!

Take time to enjoy!!!
    09-06-11 06:01 AM
    I might try the official release OS from Sprint today.
    09-06-11 07:25 AM
    I'm a noob so help me out with what I do and maybe point me in the direction of good threads.

-I've got a tour now, I'm assume first thing I should do is download desktop manager and do a full backup on my tour.

- Then I probably want to update the 9900, what's the most recent/best version? I don't mind a leak as long as it's what everyone thinks is best. How do I update the 9900?

-Next I'm assuming I want to restore all my stuff/setting that I had backed up from my tour, onto the 9900?

I'm assuming transferring my contacts and all that will be fairly straight forward, I'm hoping it re adds all my bbm friends with my new pin without them even knowing I switched phones. I have no idea how to update the latest version though. Also, what about the battery. Should I charged it full and run it down to about 10 percent, twice. Or does that not even really matter?
    make sure you know your BBID and BBID password!
    09-06-11 07:35 AM
    well, i'm liking this phone more than i even though i would.

the one thing that bugs me is there is only one convenience key. i'd use one for password lock and one for camera. so right now i have an icon for camera and the side convenience key for password. i wish the top lock button could be setup to password lock.

other than that, everything is going pretty smoothly. i'm basically just hiding icons and such to clean it all up how i like it.
    09-06-11 09:18 PM
    Y is everybody saying to stay with the stock os??

09-06-11 09:20 PM
    1. Update to .353 and set your brightness to 10. Fade at 30 seconds.

2. Fall in love. Use it a LOT

3. Case/screen protector (I don't find them necessary, never liked them. Prefer my 9930 naked.)

4. Download bebuzz and beweather.

5. Download memory booster. Have it clear memory every hour automatically. Always have maximum speed on your 9900.

6. Use a tiny bit of nail polish remover on a q-tip and rub gently for a minute or 2 to remove any branding on the bottom. (I did this to my 9930 and my previous 9650 on verizon. Much cleaner look.)

7. Wait for pandora to release for OS7

Enjoy your new crackberry bold 9900.

09-06-11 09:27 PM
    On my tour i used "ringer_bbpro_1" for all my message alerts. can i not get that alert on this phone?
    09-06-11 09:45 PM
    one more thing, is there no shazam?
    09-06-11 09:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD