Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum so I'm not sure if this is in the right section or not,

This is my issue, I'm new to smartphones and am thinking of getting a BlackBerry Bold. I don't have much money to spend (if I did, I'd buy the 9900 in a flash) so I'm stuck with buying on Craigslist...

I'm just wondering if I should:

A) Get a BBold 9780/9700 which are fairly cheap

B) Wait until the 9900 decreases in price

C) Think of getting another type of smartphone that may be cheaper.

Sorry again if this is in the wrong section,

Thanks to for reading this and I look forward to your responses!
    08-18-11 07:16 AM
    Depends what you want the smartphone for, mate. Do you want to use lots of apps? If so, then get Android or iOS. If you need it more for messaging and communications, then get a BB9780 for now. It'll serve you very well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-11 08:11 AM
    Definitely depends on your needs. The 9780 is pretty solid. However, if you're a gamer, then an iPhone, Android may be best. I love my 9780, though. Take a look at AppWorld on the BlackBerry website and see what is available that would interest you.. You should be able to buy a 9780 now for a reasonable price. Good luck on your mission!
    08-18-11 08:35 AM
    Scroll down on cb website
    There you will find other wesites (tipb, android central, etc,) with diffrent platforms(iOS,android,webOS, symbian, windows phone)
    Read reviews there and see what fits your pocket and need

08-18-11 10:28 AM
    i say find an old 8700 and put 4.5 on that bad boy and rock it for what its worth!
    its a cheap alternate
    08-18-11 10:33 AM
    i say find an old 8700 and put 4.5 on that bad boy and rock it for what its worth!
    its a cheap alternate
    I hope that was not a joke, because it was not funny at all...

If you're really down on the bucks, I'd say your list should be something like this:

1- 8520
    2- 9300
    3- 9700
    4- 9780

They all support either OS 5 or 6 (both on number 2 & 3). List goes from cheaper to more expensive. I did the jump from 1 to 4 so I can tell you, the 8520 may not be as sturdy as the previous Curves and does not have all the bells and whistles of the Bolds, but it gets the job done.

The 9780 is wonderful, specially if stutter free.

But like others said, if you're really into fun, iPod+8520 or iPhone 3G should be also very affordable options.
    08-18-11 02:38 PM
    I hope that was not a joke, because it was not funny at all...

If you're really down on the bucks, I'd say your list should be something like this:

1- 8520
    2- 9300
    3- 9700
    4- 9780

They all support either OS 5 or 6 (both on number 2 & 3). List goes from cheaper to more expensive. I did the jump from 1 to 4 so I can tell you, the 8520 may not be as sturdy as the previous Curves and does not have all the bells and whistles of the Bolds, but it gets the job done.

The 9780 is wonderful, specially if stutter free.

But like others said, if you're really into fun, iPod+8520 or iPhone 3G should be also very affordable options.
    It was not a joke, the 8700 has my respect! that phone was a beast, and I am sad that mine saw its death so early.

I am sorry you have no respect for the devices that helped make RIM/BlackBerry what they are today.
    08-18-11 02:41 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions guys! I probably should've mentioned this but I already have a iPod Touch so I think I'm set for the apps/games department. I mostly need it for texting, browsing and emails. btw can BBM run on WiFi?
    08-18-11 02:41 PM
    It was not a joke, the 8700 has my respect! that phone was a beast, and I am sad that mine saw its death so early.

I am sorry you have no respect for the devices that helped make RIM/BlackBerry what they are today.
    So late in the game, telling anyone to get that device is the true lack of respect... I would have agreed with you... 4 years ago?

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I probably should've mentioned this but I already have a iPod Touch so I think I'm set for the apps/games department. I mostly need it for texting, browsing and emails. btw can BBM run on WiFi?
    It does if you have BIS activated on the device. No BlackBerry Data Plan (BIS), no BBM.

Actually, no BIS you're left out of a good part of what the BB solution provides. There are a few apps that circunvent this and work on generic data plans but really, it's not the same.

Not that it isn't possible to. A BlackBerry with no data at all is still a powerful tool.
    Last edited by diegonei; 08-18-11 at 02:48 PM.
    08-18-11 02:45 PM
    It does if you have BIS activated on the device. No BlackBerry Data Plan (BIS), no BBM.

Actually, no BIS you're left out of a good part of what the BB solution provides. There are a few apps that circunvent this and work on generic data plans but really, it's not the same.

Not that it isn't possible to. A BlackBerry with no data at all is still a powerful tool.
    Thanks for letting me know, BBM is one of things that really attracts me. I also just found out I can use BB App World. This is quite a tough decision since I don't think I can get a Data plan either lol

Does anyone know any good/cheap plans with data in the Vancouver, BC region?
    Last edited by Mixyin; 08-18-11 at 03:41 PM.
    08-18-11 02:55 PM
    Just go to whatever carrier you're planning on using (contract or pre paid) and ask about their BlackBerry plans. That should help you decide.

One very strange thing here in Brasil right now is that prepaid is getting cheaper data than contract. Even on BlackBerry devices. Go figure.
    08-18-11 04:20 PM
    Just go to whatever carrier you're planning on using (contract or pre paid) and ask about their BlackBerry plans. That should help you decide.

One very strange thing here in Brasil right now is that prepaid is getting cheaper data than contract. Even on BlackBerry devices. Go figure.
    It's pretty expensive in Canada, I did however find an ad on Craigslist stating $35 a month and I can get a 9900. Is that good deal if it's true?

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this issue?

Thanks
    08-19-11 06:15 AM
    BIS is getting cheaper here in Oz as well. On Vodafone I can pick up a 9780 with $450 worth of calls and text, unlimited BIS and 1gb of data for streaming all this for $29 per month on a 24mth contract. Otherwise, BIS add-on for $10/mth.

08-19-11 06:23 AM
    It's pretty expensive in Canada, I did however find an ad on Craigslist stating $35 a month and I can get a 9900. Is that good deal if it's true?

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this issue?

Thanks
    Best way to know, again, is hitting each carrier (web or store) and checking what they are offering. A 9900 for free on a $35/month plan might be on a 10 year plan. So better post questions and see what your options are.

BIS is getting cheaper here in Oz as well. On Vodafone I can pick up a 9780 with $450 worth of calls and text, unlimited BIS and 1gb of data for streaming all this for $29 per month on a 24mth contract. Otherwise, BIS add-on for $10/mth.
    Oz. Rofl!
    08-19-11 05:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD