As the title says...

Upgraded to .680 last night and this 'memclean' is almost constantly working in the background.
    Everytime I clear my Event Log, within minutes it's there again. It even takes the phone out of standby when it runs!

I don't have Memory Cleaning enabled under Security settings, so it's not that.
    I've even searched for a .cod file so I could delete it, but there's nothing there in the Java folder.

So... anyone know what it is, and what it's doing?
    05-26-10 11:54 AM
    hmmm i have some as well... but not as many as you... i went back 10 mins in my event log and only found like 5 entries of that...

is it taking away from you device? like slowing it down at all? giving you memory drain?
    05-26-10 12:23 PM
    This is very odd Phill. I looked at my system log ( <Alt>lglg ) and here's what I saw

net.rem.memclean is there but not like on your phone.

Are you holding your phone the right way up The screen goes at the top, you know. I ask because if the phone is upside down, then maybe the memory would all run to the top of the phone when it should be at the bottom . Do you think that would explain this?
    05-26-10 12:28 PM
    hmmm i have some as well... but not as many as you... i went back 10 mins in my event log and only found like 5 entries of that...

is it taking away from you device? like slowing it down at all? giving you memory drain?
    No, it's not causing any performance or operating issues. My only worry is when it actually took the phone out of standby to run.

I just don't recall seeing it on previous OS builds (certainly not as often) and wondered what it was.
    05-26-10 12:31 PM
    Are you holding your phone the right way up The screen goes at the top, you know. I ask because if the phone is upside down, then maybe the memory would all run to the top of the phone when it should be at the bottom . Do you think that would explain this?
    D'oh... I thought I was doing something wrong
    05-26-10 12:35 PM
    D'oh... I thought I was doing something wrong
    Sorry 'bout that. Couldn't resist .

The odd thing is, there is no .cod directly associated with this job. To find what has happened it means trolling through this and previous OS versions looking for new or "suddenlt got biger" .cod files.

You are right to be suspicious of the phone coming out of StandBy to run this job. You may just have discovered part of the reason that RIM made changes to the Standby logic. I am not referring here to the buttons. Rather I am looking more at what happened behind the scenes and the changes made to the API.

It seems to me that the only true measures of how what you have discovered affect the phone will be how memory leaking behaves (hopefully less) and, of course battery life.

Time will tell.
    05-26-10 12:45 PM
    This is a little off topic and I am running 656 right now so I can't speak to this from the new OS perspective but do ya'll clear this log often?
    05-26-10 12:51 PM
    This is a little off topic and I am running 656 right now so I can't speak to this from the new OS perspective but do ya'll clear this log often?
    Not any more, no. I never clear it these days. In fact I had to stop and think what the command ( <Alt>lglg ) was.

The 9700 has lots of memory, 256Mb, and the log is usually fairly small so I gave up clearing it.

When I had my 8100, 48Mb was all it had so I cleared the log regularly in an efforet to free up as much memory as possible.
    05-26-10 12:59 PM
    Interesting...I'm on a 9700 running .593. I pulled up the log and I'm running Memclean too but mine say's "IdTm". When I scroll thru the log, it's been running ~hourly. Be curious to know what the difference is, and why it's running.
    05-26-10 02:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD