After seeing the Onyx unboxing videos and pics can anyone explain why the Onyx is not listed as the 9620? It seems like it's alot closer to the Tour 96xx series than the Bold's 90xx line.
    07-01-09 04:41 PM
    After seeing the Onyx unboxing videos and pics can anyone explain why the Onyx is not listed as the 9620? It seems like it's alot closer to the Tour 96xx series than the Bold's 90xx line.
    It's just a number... it doesn't mean anything...

But... remember... it's a GSM device... the 9000 is the current creme de la crop of the GSM devices is it not?
    Technically the 9500 is GSM also... but it's a different family really...
    07-01-09 05:33 PM
    I was under the impression that the Onyx was taking over as the flagship device
    07-02-09 03:15 AM
    That's the impression though nothing is concrete yet.

We don't have any real specs. The only ones being that it has the curve 8900's camera and 256 mb storage.

Pre-build devices have shown the processor is as fast if not faster than the Bold but it's not certain.

Flagship in the sense that yes it will incorporate the most features than any other blackberry to date. But I don't like the smaller form factor. That's why I love my Bold and will skip this Onyx upgrade for the next "big" one. I have no use for an upgraded camera. I have yet to take a single pic with my Bold. And I have not come close to using the 128 mb storage so the incremental increase to 256 doesn't concern me.

I'd say the Storm 2 will actually be "the" Flagship device to being the largest screen available, and matching every other feature the Onyx will have. It will come down to Qwerty vs. Touch really.
    07-02-09 03:32 AM
    I honestly believe, like many others, that nothing is set in stone as of yet. RIM usually assigns the XX20 number to models that feature WIFI (ie 8120, 8220, 8320). The onyx is said to be the most feature filled device from RIM as of yet and more than likely it will be assigned its own series number. Besides, labeling it 9020 would be kind of odd considering the earlier patterns RIM used to label its devices (XX10-GPS, XX20-WIFI, XX30-CDMA). It may even fall under the 96XX category since the Tour was given a whole new series number, the first confirmed device from which falls under XX30. This is somewhat strange i think. I don't know if anyone remembers but the Pearl 8120 had a slightly different casing and different layout of keys; heck even CDMA Curves and Storms are slightly fatter than their GSM brothers so the Onyx may very well be a slight variation of the Tour, with an altered appearance and WIFI. Well I'm going way off on a limb here but those are my speculations so far. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong in any way.
    Last edited by fsshariq; 07-07-09 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Fix grammatical errors!
    07-07-09 10:28 PM
    I honestly believe, like many others, that nothing is set in stone as of yet. RIM usually assigns the XX20 number to models that feature WIFI (ie 8120, 8220, 8320). The onyx is said to be the most feature filled device from RIM as of yet and more than likely it will be assigned its own series number. Besides, labeling it 9020 would be kind of odd considering the earlier patterns RIM used to label its devices (XX10-GPS, XX20-WIFI, XX30-CDMA). It may even fall under the 96XX category since the Tour was given a whole new series number, the first confirmed device from which falls under XX30. This is somewhat strange i think. I don't know if anyone remembers but the Pearl 8120 had a slightly different casing and different layout of keys; heck even CDMA Curves and Storms are slightly fatter than their GSM brothers so the Onyx may very well be a slight variation of the Tour, with an altered appearance and WIFI. Well I'm going way off on a limb here but those are my speculations so far. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong in any way.
    Makes sense.
    07-07-09 11:15 PM
    It's just a number... it doesn't mean anything...

But... remember... it's a GSM device... the 9000 is the current creme de la crop of the GSM devices is it not?
    Technically the 9500 is GSM also... but it's a different family really...
    That is QUITE an explanation

I had to sit down to take that one in
    07-09-09 02:08 PM
    That is QUITE an explanation

I had to sit down to take that one in
    LMAO... I bet you did

What time is it there? Isn't it past your bed time anyway? HAHA
    07-09-09 02:14 PM
    lol its almost 20:30pm here, and yes I've got the kettle on and eastenders on the telly waiting for the queen to come on tv and give her goodnight to our small island nation like she usually does
    07-09-09 02:26 PM
    lol its almost 20:30pm here, and yes I've got the kettle on and eastenders on the telly waiting for the queen to come on tv and give her goodnight to our small island nation like she usually does
    LMAO yeah I know what time it is... And god if I didn't move over here to get away from Eastenders! LMAO

Oh... and tell the Queen I miss having tea and crumpets with her on Sunday afternoons... and tell her to give my best to the corgis...

Back on topic... how you like your Onyx? Still on 0.9 software?
    07-09-09 02:29 PM
    I guess he finally went to sleep, lol
    07-09-09 04:03 PM
    I guess he finally went to sleep, lol
    Nah... us English people don't sleep... we're like vampires...
    07-09-09 04:15 PM
    the queen sends her regards, just popped round hers for a crumpet and tea ! what are the odds that you fancied a bit of both too !

BT is right, we don't sleep, we just drink tea and watch the queen do things, ocasionally we have a little drink but thats about it !
    07-09-09 04:30 PM
    the battery looks like the bolds. Maybe thats why
    07-09-09 09:57 PM
    9000 series = 3G/GPS/wifi GSM device

9600 series = 3G/GPS/Qwerty CDMA device

Maybe?
    Last edited by Brandon26pdx; 07-10-09 at 11:22 AM.
    07-10-09 11:20 AM
    the queen sends her regards, just popped round hers for a crumpet and tea ! what are the odds that you fancied a bit of both too !

BT is right, we don't sleep, we just drink tea and watch the queen do things, ocasionally we have a little drink but thats about it !
    That's such a lie. We frequently have a little drink. Then, some of us leave the isles to perform our duty of teaching sarcasm to those in North America (with varying degrees of success).
    07-10-09 12:42 PM
    Lol we do not, we only drink tea, stop spreading filth about our tiny island nation !

Sarcasm ? Whats that then ? :-D
    07-10-09 04:54 PM
    Actually the new picture of the Onyx shows a device that looks alot closer to the Bold than the Tour.Looks great.......Now show me the Driftwood!
    07-10-09 06:22 PM
    Yeah, but 8900 is wifi and no XX20 there.
    07-10-09 08:50 PM
    Yeah, but 8900 is wifi and no XX20 there.
    Yea but thats a full featured, premium device that has every feature desirable in a blackberry minus the 3G just like the Bold is full featured but also includes 3G. A device such as the onyx/driftwood can be looked upon as a "complete" blackberry, much the the Bold and 8900 (GPS, Wifi, Full Qwerty, High Resolution Screen), see what i mean. Therefore i strongly believe that this BB will have its own series due to its complete set of features.

Another thing i was contemplating was that may be from this point on, RIM will mandate desirable features such as Wifi, GPS, high resolution screen etc as standard features in most of its devices. These features are looking to be the standard in most upcoming BBs. RIM will still probably have some sort of a low end series such as the 8520 to cater people on a budget.
    07-12-09 04:58 PM
    Yea but thats a full featured, premium device that has every feature desirable in a blackberry minus the 3G just like the Bold is full featured but also includes 3G. A device such as the onyx/driftwood can be looked upon as a "complete" blackberry, much the the Bold and 8900 (GPS, Wifi, Full Qwerty, High Resolution Screen), see what i mean. Therefore i strongly believe that this BB will have its own series due to its complete set of features.

Another thing i was contemplating was that may be from this point on, RIM will mandate desirable features such as Wifi, GPS, high resolution screen etc as standard features in most of its devices. These features are looking to be the standard in most upcoming BBs. RIM will still probably have some sort of a low end series such as the 8520 to cater people on a budget.
    Awwww, budgets, no fun.
    07-13-09 08:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD