Hey guys,

Im a Curve 8900 user right now but just love the size of the bold and its keys in my hands.

Im looking to buy a Bold off craigslist. Is it easier that I buy one thats never been used to avoid problems with its pin being registered with ATT when I unlock it? SHould I get an already unlocked phone? Etc. Any hints on what to look for?

Your help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    07-14-09 09:23 PM
    Hey guys,

Im a Curve 8900 user right now but just love the size of the bold and its keys in my hands.

Im looking to buy a Bold off craigslist. Is it easier that I buy one thats never been used to avoid problems with its pin being registered with ATT when I unlock it? SHould I get an already unlocked phone? Etc. Any hints on what to look for?

Your help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    if i were you i would stay with the 8900. I have observed the edge speeds on tmobile and it is incredible it can almost keep up with my bold. Besides you will not have 3g so what is the point? If you want it that badly have the guy call in front of you and make sure an att rep tells you it is clear. other than that you're basically taking a gamble unless you put in your sim and send your service books and bbm someone or email yourself
    07-14-09 09:47 PM
    Please disregard everything the above poster, Jstray, said. I am running my Bold on T-Mobile and absolutely everything works as advertised. Yeah you can't use 3G--no sh!*, neither can you on the Curve. Edge on both devices are identical. Get it.
    07-14-09 11:20 PM
    and there is NO GAMBLE. Stop spreading misinformation
    07-14-09 11:20 PM
    I traded my 8900 for a Unlocked Bold awhile ago through a deal on Craigslist. I was looking for one that was already unlocked so I wouldn't have to do it myself, but wouldn't mind if I had to, I was just lucky to find one already unlocked. We both wiped our phones and loaded the newest operating systems and put our sims, made a few phone calls to make sure everything worked and everything registered fine. I couldn't be happier with the trade, you should be ok, good luck.
    Last edited by stayuplate; 07-15-09 at 12:31 AM.
    07-15-09 12:29 AM
    Just make sure the pin isn't blocked. That should be your main concern
    07-15-09 12:56 AM
    Thanks for all the input guys. So when I buy, I just have the seller call ATT Customer Service to make sure the pin isnt blocked or held right?
    07-15-09 01:13 AM
    OH another question guys, say the pin is blocked or held up by ATT. Can I, a non ATT customer, call and get it cleared?
    07-15-09 01:19 AM
    Thanks for all the input guys. So when I buy, I just have the seller call ATT Customer Service to make sure the pin isnt blocked or held right?
    Yeah them, or somehow get in contact with RIM

OH another question guys, say the pin is blocked or held up by ATT. Can I, a non ATT customer, call and get it cleared?
    No because more than likely the phone was reported stolen.
    07-15-09 01:21 AM
    Only the original owner of the phone could get the pin unblocked. And the reason I said its a gamble was exactly that. You gota check the phone fairly well to see if the pin is blocked or not. And the edge speed on the bold is slower on tmo. So what's the point? Besides tmobile insurance WILL NOT transfer to your bold. So I would keep the 8900. So yea disreguard what I said if you want like bmwmpower said. But I'm telling you from experience I had an unlocked bold with tmo but got fed up with the slow edge so I sold it and bought out of my contract and got att and now I couldn't be happier. I've seen both phones go head to head and its not worth it IMO but I guess if you really want it then go for it. The bold is a great device and I'm sure you would be happy either way

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by jstray; 07-15-09 at 01:32 AM.
    07-15-09 01:24 AM
    EDGE can vary depending on your location, time of day, network traffic, etc. I doubt you can actually prove your EDGE was slower than on another BB device, given the same circumstances. Failed logic. Also, to the OP, you ask if you should check if the PIN is blocked once you buy the phone. My question is what does it matter once you bought the phone? Try using BBM, pin messages, etc. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. If it does, great. If you trust who you're buying from (as I assume you do if you're pulling the trigger) then you should have no issues.
    07-15-09 03:37 PM
    EDGE can vary depending on your location, time of day, network traffic, etc. I doubt you can actually prove your EDGE was slower than on another BB device, given the same circumstances. Failed logic. Also, to the OP, you ask if you should check if the PIN is blocked once you buy the phone. My question is what does it matter once you bought the phone? Try using BBM, pin messages, etc. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. If it does, great. If you trust who you're buying from (as I assume you do if you're pulling the trigger) then you should have no issues.
    Why wouldn't you be able to compare 2 berrys? Sure some factors come into play but when I had the bold with tmo the edge was slow as molasses. Next time don't be so quick to try to discredit me I've messed around with BBs for a while and I'm always reading up on them. I was trying to give the OP my 2 cents and that's what CB is about so I'm sorry if it annoyed you but don't treat me like I'm ignorant.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-09 09:10 PM
    I am checking out a new 8900---

tmo is telling me that as long as the sim is clear, its ok---

the rep is aksing about the PIN isssue now...
    Last edited by surfbug; 07-27-09 at 02:55 PM.
    07-27-09 02:51 PM
    they are saying (tmobile) that the pin ahs nothing to do with them....

so....did you buy the other phone , and did it work>?

al
    07-27-09 02:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD