I've had my BB9900 for just over 3 years and it seems to have died. Bell support was not able to help, but suggested that I could buy a battery from amazon and see if that worked. I wonder if it's worth it if the phone won't last for long anyway.
    08-23-15 11:41 AM
    I have a 9900 since day 1 and it is still working. OEM battery should be affordable
    08-23-15 12:06 PM
    The life of a devices is purely based on its battery. My Curve 8520 is working like it is brand new. (since I got a new battery for it) It's about 5 years old.

I don't see my 8520 dying on me anytime in the future

Posted via CB10
    08-23-15 01:16 PM
    I base the life expecency based on the USB connector.

That is pretty much the only wear & tear item connected to the mother board that I can think of that can't be changed. AND a wear & tear item it is for sure.

Some people say it was designed for a theoretical 10.000 connect and disconnect cycles. While that may be true, over time this connection is getting loose, and consequently the USB connector is subjected to constant movement (e.g. if you have the phone connected to a cigarette lighter in the car). This constant movement wears on the internal contacts of course thereby decreasing the theoretical maximum connect disconnect cycle.
    08-25-15 01:09 PM
    I base the life expecency based on the USB connector.

That is pretty much the only wear & tear item connected to the mother board that I can think of that can't be changed. AND a wear & tear item it is for sure.

Some people say it was designed for a theoretical 10.000 connect and disconnect cycles. While that may be true, over time this connection is getting loose, and consequently the USB connector is subjected to constant movement (e.g. if you have the phone connected to a cigarette lighter in the car). This constant movement wears on the internal contacts of course thereby decreasing the theoretical maximum connect disconnect cycle.
    Good point. I should start using my charging cradle again.
    08-25-15 11:37 PM
    Battery replacement aside, it should last 7-10 years with proper maintenance (reloading device software, restoring SELECTIVE minimal backup (or BlackBerry protect), that is what must be done to keep it roaring like a wild beast. Oh and ensuring it doesn't get wet, physically damaged too. Screen protector and otterbox defender or commuter, or seidio protective/other protective case is a must.
    Mine has been running since 2011.

Typed using my BlackBerry Classic running 10.3.2 on WINDmobile HSPA+
    08-26-15 09:33 PM
    I still have both the Curve since 2009 and Bold 9300 since 2011 and both are still working fine. Did have to replace the battery on the Bold...

Posted via my incredible Passport
    09-14-15 06:20 AM
    I've had my 9900 since launch... Nearly 5years old and still chugging along. I also have many other BlackBerrys from 9780 to my 5810 that are retired, but still function like the day I purchased them... Only issue I have is most of the older models (yielding the trackball vs trackpad) have scrolling issues, otherwise I haven't been let down yet... The 7105t and 8100 are still my TravelBerrys of choice when I'm abroad depending on which nation I'm frequenting...

Posted via CB10
    idssteve likes this.
    09-14-15 06:42 AM
    I've had my 9900 since launch... Nearly 5years old and still chugging along. I also have many other BlackBerrys from 9780 to my 5810 that are retired, but still function like the day I purchased them... Only issue I have is most of the older models (yielding the trackball vs trackpad) have scrolling issues, otherwise I haven't been let down yet... The 7105t and 8100 are still my TravelBerrys of choice when I'm abroad depending on which nation I'm frequenting...

Posted via CB10
    +1 for the Pearl! Just dug it out & fired up. A truly compact device. Its version of predictive text (forgot what they called it) was fast! Trackball was a reliability pita but could be swapped in under 60sec. Mini USB wasn't rated for connection cycles of micro but charging contact cradles & external battery chargers keep USB wear down. Same advice is good for our 9900s.
    09-16-15 02:39 PM
    +1 for the Pearl! Just dug it out & fired up. A truly compact device. Its version of predictive text (forgot what they called it) was fast! Trackball was a reliability pita but could be swapped in under 60sec. Mini USB wasn't rated for connection cycles of micro but charging contact cradles & external battery chargers keep USB wear down. Same advice is good for our 9900s.
    The SureType keyboard! Clever and innovative for its' time... Complimented the charming, compact device perfectly!

Posted via CB10
    idssteve likes this.
    09-16-15 02:55 PM
    I've had my BB9900 for just over 3 years and it seems to have died. Bell support was not able to help, but suggested that I could buy a battery from amazon and see if that worked. I wonder if it's worth it if the phone won't last for long anyway.
    I bought a battery on Amazon last month for $3 and it was OEM and new in package.

x2 for the charging pod - can get them too for under $10.

Nice now that the 99xx is legacy there are some good deals on new OEM accessories out there.
    09-16-15 06:54 PM
    I bought an OEM external Battery Charger. So this way I can save the USB charging port contacts when I'm driving. I just charge and switch batteries as needed.
    09-19-15 04:06 PM
    A few years ago my 9900 died very suddenly overnight, no warning just would not turn on in the morning. Took it to Future Shop where I bought it and they tried a new battery but it was DOA. So because I had bought insurance thru FS I got my Q10 for $56. I do miss FS, liked them much better than Best buy.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 04:20 PM
    Aerosol electrical cleaners can revitalise the trackball, a gentle squirt and roll the track ball a few times. Repeat until it works again.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 04:20 PM