I searched but found no thread talking about this. I need to bump the video quality all the way down to mms quality or else I cannot send a video over bbm at which point the quality is useless. Can't even email a video, its too big. What gives? Is there a way around this? Didn't really miss my 9780 till now I live far from home and I used to send videos all the time on my 9780. I am really ticked off.
    01-15-12 02:10 PM
    Menu -> Send -> File -> Select video

Now you can send video.

I'd recommend taking video with MMS settings.

Also, there has ALWAYS been a limit on file size for e-mails.
    01-15-12 02:55 PM
    Limit for BBM has been at 6Mb for a long time. Email via BIS 2.5Mb also has been set forever. You can use the browser, and upload to youtube or dropbox. You can also access the full site for most email clients, and send/download much larger files from there.

Maybe the better camera/video quality is causing you problems, where you don't realize just how large the file size now is. Side effect of a benefit.
    01-15-12 02:55 PM
    6MB is limit very low...
    01-15-12 02:57 PM
    6MB is limit very low...
    They're talking about raising it, but name an IM on any platform that even comes close.
    01-15-12 03:04 PM
    They're talking about raising it, but name an IM on any platform that even comes close.
    that's good to hear, but all I am really asking is for the ablity to continue to send video like on my 9780, and not have to go ALL THE WAY to an un acceptable video quality of MMS. 640 x 480 was fine and my 9930 should be capable of this. RIM Why did you miss the boat?!
    01-15-12 06:55 PM
    that's good to hear, but all I am really asking is for the ablity to continue to send video like on my 9780, and not have to go ALL THE WAY to an un acceptable video quality of MMS. 640 x 480 was fine and my 9930 should be capable of this. RIM Why did you miss the boat?!
    So, because the 8110 could send a longer video of 6Mb than a 9000, which could send a longer video than a 9700, which can send a longer video than a 9900, RIM is going backwards?!?

Be happy it shoots 720HD, and either shoot shorter, or come up with an altewrnative method to share.
    01-15-12 07:10 PM

Is that a joke? Lol aol msn icq yahoo gtalk etc etc etc. Name whatever IM you want, I don't remember having limits on msn on anything except my blackberry, that's RIM putting a limit. Download any third party IM app and there's no file transfer limits. Any of the desktop and web apps have no limits. 6mb is the BIS limit.

So yes I do find it pathetic that the limit is 6mb otherwise it would overwhelm rims bis servers... Other free (and we pay for bis) services offer up 25mb+ uploads. Basically you have to use dropbox sugarsync skydrive box.net etc to cover rims/bis upload&download limits

I don't know why they don't use the apn/tcp to do the transfer and bis just for the handshake
    01-15-12 07:19 PM
    Is that a joke? Lol aol msn icq yahoo gtalk etc etc etc. Name whatever IM you want, I don't remember having limits on msn on anything except my blackberry, that's RIM putting a limit. Download any third party IM app and there's no file transfer limits. Any of the desktop and web apps have no limits. 6mb is the BIS limit.

So yes I do find it pathetic that the limit is 6mb otherwise it would overwhelm rims bis servers... Other free (and we pay for bis) services offer up 25mb+ uploads. Basically you have to use dropbox sugarsync skydrive box.net etc to cover rims/bis upload&download limits

I don't know why they don't use the apn/tcp to do the transfer and bis just for the handshake
    A. We're talking mobile IMs
    B. BIS isn't setting a limit, just patrs of it. The native browser is perfectly capable of much larger than 6Mb, I do it all the time. That stopped in OS6, and with some creativity wasn't limited on OS5 either. I've personally downloaded around 1Gb, and uploaded nearly 20Mb. The limit on uploads is due to the 9650 I use, and not RIM.
    01-15-12 07:32 PM
    I'm downloading an 11.8mb video on WhatAapp right now, so it's definitely possible on other IM clients.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    01-15-12 07:34 PM
    You'll be glad there's a limit when you're roaming and someone tries to send you a huge file.
    01-15-12 07:41 PM
    I'm downloading an 11.8mb video on WhatAapp right now, so it's definitely possible on other IM clients.
    Thanks, that I wasn't aware of. Seems to me it would be easier to upload to a clound though, and then distribute a link. What's the limit on Whatsapp?
    01-15-12 07:46 PM
    Thanks, that I wasn't aware of. Seems to me it would be easier to upload to a clound though, and then distribute a link. What's the limit on Whatsapp?
    I'm not sure. It just so happened that I noticed a 11.8mb video posted in a chat

sk8er_tor's reasoning makes sense to me. AFAIK, unlike WhatsApp, bbm doesn't give you the option to initiate downloads (at least for pics)...it just does it for you. So maybe in the absence of this manual download feature, RIM just decided to not allow downloads beyond a certain data limit.
    01-15-12 08:08 PM
    I'm not sure. It just so happened that I noticed a 11.8mb video posted in a chat

sk8er_tor's reasoning makes sense to me. AFAIK, unlike WhatsApp, bbm doesn't give you the option to initiate downloads (at least for pics)...it just does it for you. So maybe in the absence of this manual download feature, RIM just decided to not allow downloads beyond a certain data limit.
    You do have to authorize anything beyond an image preview on BBM. Voice notes will automatically transfer, but only if that option is implemented.

Look, I can empathise with the OP's frustration. It appears at first glance a limitation, where before there was none, but in reality, this is akin to purchasing a Ferarri, then expecting the speed limit raised because of it. That very likely will happen, as the balance of vehicles on RIM's highway become more capable, which is what I'd prefer they focus on now.
    Michelle Haag and raino like this.
    01-15-12 11:06 PM
    Thanks for the education Wulf. Since I'm mostly uploading photos and rarely receiving on bmm, I haven't paid too much attention. If bbm does indeed just give you a preview initially, it's just like WhatsApp then.

Re: the Ferrari analogy--what good is the Ferrari if, because of a mechanical defect, all you can do with it is 15mph around the cul-de-sac? Would you feel cheated when your neighbor's Honda can go on the freeway with ease?
    01-15-12 11:48 PM
    A. We're talking mobile IMs
    B. BIS isn't setting a limit, just patrs of it. The native browser is perfectly capable of much larger than 6Mb, I do it all the time. That stopped in OS6, and with some creativity wasn't limited on OS5 either. I've personally downloaded around 1Gb, and uploaded nearly 20Mb. The limit on uploads is due to the 9650 I use, and not RIM.
    Lol....Where to start?

'6mb' IS the limit for native imapps. The email attachment limit is 11mb. Lol... Lmgtfy - RIM Makes BIS 4.1 Features Official – New Process for Selling Old BlackBerrys - BerryReview

If you seem to know that you had to load service books (WHICH,ftr, SENT DOWNLOAD TRAFFIC THROUGH YOUR CARRIER APN INSTEAD OF BIS) on os5 and previous in order to download large files than wth are you talking about? Are you confused? Bis has transfer limits.

Lmgtfy http://forums.crackberry.com/forum-f...9700-a-377262/

And like I said, try any third party IM app (I haven't tested any but I'm 90% sure all of these support file transfers. if they do, they don't have 1mb, 6mb, 11mb etc limits.. Im+, trillian, beejive, ebuddy, nimbuzz) that DOESN'T ROUTE THROUGH BIS(ie let's you use it over tcpip) , and tell me there a 6mb file size transfer limits. It has nothing to do with the MOBILE IMS it has to do with RIMS NATIVE APPS. I used desktop (WLM, PIDGIN, GAIM ETC) and web apps IN ADDITION to third party apps in example of 'where else do you see limitations'? Why are you in denial? You agree you should have to use a third party service to send any video not recorded in mms mode? Lol?

Lmgtfy New BlackBerry Messenger to Launch October 7th?!! | CrackBerry.com

The browser comment was the nail in the coffin... You KNOW, without anyone having to tell you, that BIS has limits. Lmgtfy http://forums.crackberry.com/forum-f...9700-a-377262/
    Done on this thread, don't know why you purposely wasted my time.

Long story short. RIM has a 6mb limit on bbm and 1mb on other IM apps, 11mb for email attachment and 300kb for an email. Do a google search and you'll stop talking nonsense.. Were you joking? BIS is what sets these limits, your carrier may set their own limits, but 6mb for bbm, 11mb for email and 1mb for wlm icq yahoo etc IS RIMS LIMITATION. Wlm icq yahoo, your email provider(ie gmail) don't have those SAME limitations. RIM doesn't care is gtalk says 10mb, RIM says 1mb. Why? Because the app routes through BIS. When rim allows the apps to work over tcpip than there won't be a limit anymore - just like the browser downloads..

"Hi,

BlackBerry Messenger 5.0 allows files up to 6MB to be transferred (it was previously 15KB). When you are in a conversation press menu > Select Send File > Select your video attachment."

And I'm done
    01-16-12 12:31 AM
    AFAIK, unlike WhatsApp, bbm doesn't give you the option to initiate downloads (at least for pics)...it just does it for you. So maybe in the absence of this manual download feature, RIM just decided to not allow downloads beyond a certain data limit.
    Said I was done but didn't read all the replies lol

Correct. You used to send a pic (in bbm5.0) and - like email - it would ask you how you'd like to scale the image. Ie it would ask whether you'd like to send the full image or scale it to 1024x768,640x480 etc. Rim never would tell me why they removed and refuse to add that feature back
    01-16-12 12:36 AM
    Sorry, I was trying to help you.

Lol....Where to start?

'6mb' IS the limit for native imapps. The email attachment limit is 11mb. Lol... Lmgtfy - RIM Makes BIS 4.1 Features Official – New Process for Selling Old BlackBerrys - BerryReview

Knew it was coming, but being on a 9650 I missed that it was here. Some carriers appear to set there own limits.

http://forums.crackberry.com/t-mobil...1-live-660827/

If you seem to know that you had to load service books (WHICH,ftr, SENT DOWNLOAD TRAFFIC THROUGH YOUR CARRIER APN INSTEAD OF BIS) on os5 and previous in order to download large files than wth are you talking about? Are you confused? Bis has transfer limits.

Lmgtfy http://forums.crackberry.com/forum-f...9700-a-377262/

Never manipulated my service books, and the limit on native was removed on OS6.

And like I said, try any third party IM app (I haven't tested any but I'm 90% sure all of these support file transfers. if they do, they don't have 1mb, 6mb, 11mb etc limits.. Im+, trillian, beejive, ebuddy, nimbuzz) that DOESN'T ROUTE THROUGH BIS(ie let's you use it over tcpip) , and tell me there a 6mb file size transfer limits. It has nothing to do with the MOBILE IMS it has to do with RIMS NATIVE APPS. I used desktop (WLM, PIDGIN, GAIM ETC) and web apps IN ADDITION to third party apps in example of 'where else do you see limitations'? Why are you in denial? You agree you should have to use a third party service to send any video not recorded in mms mode? Lol?

Yahoo Messenger and Google Talk mobile app has a 5Mb limit BB to BB, and doesn't cooperate cross platform very well. Whatsapp has the limit set at 12Mb.

Lmgtfy New BlackBerry Messenger to Launch October 7th?!! | CrackBerry.com

The browser comment was the nail in the coffin... You KNOW, without anyone having to tell you, that BIS has limits. Lmgtfy http://forums.crackberry.com/forum-f...9700-a-377262/
    Done on this thread, don't know why you purposely wasted my time.

Long story short. RIM has a 6mb limit on bbm and 1mb on other IM apps, 11mb for email attachment and 300kb for an email. Do a google search and you'll stop talking nonsense.. Were you joking? BIS is what sets these limits, your carrier may set their own limits, but 6mb for bbm, 11mb for email and 1mb for wlm icq yahoo etc IS RIMS LIMITATION. Wlm icq yahoo, your email provider(ie gmail) don't have those SAME limitations. RIM doesn't care is gtalk says 10mb, RIM says 1mb. Why? Because the app routes through BIS. When rim allows the apps to work over tcpip than there won't be a limit anymore - just like the browser downloads..

Both Yahoo and Gmail have limits on attachments via the web. Others I'm sure set them too.

"Hi,

BlackBerry Messenger 5.0 allows files up to 6MB to be transferred (it was previously 15KB). When you are in a conversation press menu > Select Send File > Select your video attachment."

And I'm done
    I would love to see the limit done away with. Really I would. In the meantime, there are alternatives, that can easily be done, from your BlackBerry.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-16-12 09:04 AM
    I just got a corporate Bold on Friday and am looking for ways of moving a video. We no longer have a Desktop Manager -- which is how I used to get my large videos when I had a Tour.

I've tried uploading them to my Flickr account and my BB froze. My guess it has to do with all pics and videos being .rem files and protected.

So I was interested in your simple
    "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Menu -> Send -> File -> Select video

------------------------------------
    I feel stupid asking, but I can find the first Menu you're talking about. How do I get to that?
    04-28-12 11:35 PM
    I took a video with my 9900 a couple of days ago.
    Sent it to a friend.
    40 MB file, via WhatsApp.
    Its a BBM limitation, Im seriously trying to get people to convert to BlackBerries and BBM but the alternatives seem way better in most respects.
    Its difficult to use the CrackBerry logic in rational arguments.
    Why is BBM better?, Im asked by friends Im trying to convert.
    Try it, you'll see! I don't know how, I don't know why, but you'll see!!! - Advice I got when asking why BBM is better than alternatives
    Not much of a selling point is it?
    Drop your money, and then Ill show you how awesome it is, cos I can't think of any way to explain it...
    04-29-12 07:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD