With the addition of OS 3.0 the iphone has finally caught up to the functionality of a bb which has enjoyed the use of C&P, mms, and push for a while.
    While those features they have caught up with they are still one area that RIM will continue to dominate in over others, and that is in the enterprise. There is nothing that comes close to what BES offers.
    03-17-09 06:37 PM
    Overall speed and function is better on the Bold. I can get things done much faster on the Bold than the iPhone. Having said that, I own and use both the Bold and iPhone. I use the iPhone for Mobile Me to keep my contacts and calendar synced so I have them with me at all times. Now I use the Bold for Voice and email. Bold wins hands down for Voice, email, and text. If the Bold would sync with Mobile Me and work correctly, my one phone would be the Bold. PS; I use Macs so other sync companies won't work.
    Last edited by CSI Guy; 03-17-09 at 06:48 PM.
    03-17-09 06:43 PM
    I'm kicking myself in the *** for spending $300 on my Bold.
    03-17-09 06:58 PM
    Do you really want to go back to a company that makes you buy a new gen version to get things that should have come on the phone in the first place?

iPhone OS 3.0 in-depth impressions - infoSync World
    Exactly why I have shares of Apple but not products . Apple will make something and people will go crazy over it and massivly buy it, but Apple is smart enough to always leave room for improvment so they can make more money on the same product down the road. IE: new os for phone, larger and larger iPods, etc.
    03-17-09 07:08 PM
    I'm kicking myself in the *** for spending $300 on my Bold.
    In the arm? (I'm trying to fill the three stars)
    Leg?
    toe?
    ***? (Can you kick your own ***?)

On a more serious note, iPhone 3.0 is suprisingly good. Its bringing alot of functionality to the iPhone, which should have been there from the very beginning. Its going to swing more people towards the iPhone and so it should.
    Its not got everything, but neither has the bold. Its all down to what people need.

And remember, the iPhone is still lacking the big one. No mutlitasking. Listening to internet radio whilst sending a text message? Good luck.

Also, the iPhone has a god awful notification system. I'm really looking forward to the Palm Pre for its notification handling.

Heres a pretty darn good post from Rene over at TiPb about what the iPhone is still missing (The list is one **** of alot shorter than it used to be): http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/03/17/iphone-os-30/
    03-17-09 07:10 PM
    Yes, asking people on this board probably isn't the brightest since it is crackberry.com after all. however, i debated very long and hard between getting the iphone 3G or getting the blackberry bold.

I ended up getting the bold because of no cut and paste on the iphone, no mms, and no push among other things. i really wanted to get both because each was better at different things, but i was not willing to pay another 40 bucks a month for my phone bill, never mind that i would have also had to have paid for the bold retail, since the iphone required the 2 year committment to get that price. I had the curve prior and have been a crackberry user ever since.

with the new announcements, I am back to debating. Granted, i still have to wait at least a year before i can really get a new phone, but...until apple can fix the battery issue, i still love BB better. (apparently with push, it drains the heck out of the battery, more so that BBs ever have and nevermind that every app that you use on it is just going to drain the battery even more) But who knows, att's contract is up soon with apple, so we might see some changes as it opens to new carriers in the US.

..or maybe they are just happy to keep collecting the money and not really making any changes...it's apple. they do what they want, not what people really want...

and the thing about everyone having an iphone. ya, everyone has an iphone now. so what. everyone has a freakin ipod too. that's not going to stop someone from buying one. everyone had a razr for a while there and i'm sure there are a bunch of phones out there that everyone had for awhile. You have to figure out for yourself what you want out of your phone and then decide which one is better for you and what you do on a daily basis.
    03-17-09 07:12 PM
    Another solution..

Use both
    Good solution!
    03-17-09 07:17 PM
    Am I missing something??? The articles I read mentioned nothing about apps running in the background on the new iphone os.

They announced upgrades and made them sound like they invented and everyone should ooohh and ahhhh over their brilliance.

The iphone is just like Bose and their old a**products, years behind on technology and marketed excellently. Seriously, Bose doesn't even offer Blueray systems and they have this quote on their website "It's time to expect more from home theater".

So my sister that has the original iphone has to pay for the update. Wow.
    03-17-09 07:28 PM
    1. Everyone and their mother uses iPhone 3G, ranging from high school kids to adults... it's ridiculous
    My mom has an Iphone...
    :X

I wasn't able to convince her to get a berry. What a shame.
    03-17-09 07:30 PM
    Exactly why I have shares of Apple but not products . Apple will make something and people will go crazy over it and massivly buy it, but Apple is smart enough to always leave room for improvment so they can make more money on the same product down the road. IE: new os for phone, larger and larger iPods, etc.
    People buy hype, that's all. Apple sells hype and avertising, two things most of the other phone manufacturers suck at.

Apple could make the suckiest phone on the market but people would be dumb enough to buy their stuff in droves regardless because they sell it well and people have a serious sheep mentality when it comes to advertising.

People aren't buying the Wii in droves because it has the best games on the market... They just targeted much more broadly to people who would care a lot less.
    Last edited by papped; 03-17-09 at 07:35 PM.
    03-17-09 07:31 PM
    We are also comparing two devices that are not launched at the same time.

Also, I have been using Blackberry Messenger a lot, there's no way I'm giving that up and seclude myself just over a phone.

And can beejive or MSN run on iphone 24/7? the bold can.

I'm using gps turn by turn navigation I got for free, don't think the iphone can do that yet.

And by the time iphone can do all these things, I'm sure there's a new blackberry out there that can do even more.
    03-17-09 07:51 PM
    The only hype berries get are from word of mouth and that is one heck of a hype to get people to switch.
    03-17-09 07:52 PM
    We are also comparing two devices that are not launched at the same time.

Also, I have been using Blackberry Messenger a lot, there's no way I'm giving that up and seclude myself just over a phone.

And can beejive or MSN run on iphone 24/7? the bold can.

I'm using gps turn by turn navigation I got for free, don't think the iphone can do that yet.

And by the time iphone can do all these things, I'm sure there's a new blackberry out there that can do even more.
    This is kind of my point. Take maybe 50% of the iphone market (maybe a lot more). How many of them have no idea what any of this stuff is, then you see the iphone appeal.

"I don't know what my phone is supposed to do or is capable of", but they can navigate with touchscreen (which looks prettier due to screen size constraints with QWERTY devices) and buy apps on the phone to do all kinds of random crap.

Then factor in the fact that the iphone is plastered everywhere and BB's are not...
    Last edited by papped; 03-17-09 at 07:57 PM.
    03-17-09 07:55 PM
    QL is the first app I'm actually seriously considering buying. It's just that handy.
    Definitely pick it up. Once you get it, you'll wonder why the phone didn't come with it in the first place. It's a must have.
    03-17-09 07:56 PM
    i love how everyone says the call quality on the iphone sucks compared to the bold, i own both and no one can tell.

the iphone gets way better reception due to having a better antenna. I drop more calls on my Bold than I do my iphone. and the bold has a brand new sim card. Come on, this is complete fanboyism at its finest. the Iphone with all these features is a better phone. without these features it isnt
    03-17-09 09:11 PM
    17 million phones since 07. Apple isnt even a phone company / of thread
    03-17-09 09:12 PM
    3.0 really does go a LONG way towards fixing some of the most glaring defects with the iphone. I am suprised they made so many changes all at once. Multitasking is the big one though! I love being able to run apps in the background while doing other things at the same time. Overall iphone just surged ahead in the phone race but I still love my Bold and my iphone is still sitting in its box collecting dust.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-17-09 09:16 PM
    Am I missing something??? The articles I read mentioned nothing about apps running in the background on the new iphone os.

They announced upgrades and made them sound like they invented and everyone should ooohh and ahhhh over their brilliance.

The iphone is just like Bose and their old a**products, years behind on technology and marketed excellently. Seriously, Bose doesn't even offer Blueray systems and they have this quote on their website "It's time to expect more from home theater".

So my sister that has the original iphone has to pay for the update. Wow.
    wrong iphone users get free updates
    03-17-09 09:18 PM
    wrong iphone users get free updates
    First gen iPhone users had to pay to upgrade to 2.0.

03-17-09 09:20 PM
    I switched from the iPhone 3G to the Bold b/c I couldn't deal with the lack of copy/paste, mms, and push notifications. I was much faster (slightly less accurate) typing on the iPhone but have no preference b/w a physical or touch keyboard. Can someone give me a reason not to sell my Blackberry when the new OS is released! Weighing the pros and cons of both it seems like the iPhone wins in a landslide now. Am I missing something?
    Go with the iPhone if that is what you want. If it wins by a landslide over the Bold, what could anyone say to sway you at this point?
    03-17-09 09:23 PM
    The Blackberry has got communication stuff right from day one. It's part of the Blackberry "DNA", to use a marketdroid phrase.

The iPhone is still struggling with push notifications.

If you want a device that does communication and does it well above all else, the BB's your choice.
    03-17-09 09:35 PM
    A few friends of mine have iPhones. They like them. They're good phones. My biggest problem with them is the touchscreen keyboard. I kept hitting the wrong letters. So I bought the Bold. The one thing that would have me willing to switch is a physical keyboard. I looked but didn't see it on the list of new features in their 3.0 software. I think I'll stick with the Bold.
    03-17-09 09:42 PM

Fortunately, no we didn't.

Two weeks ago, I bought the Bold and sold my first Gen iPhone which was at 2.1 and jailbroken.

Here's what frustrated me about the iPhone:
    a) didn't like the lack of copy and paste.
    b) no mms
    c) free app store just became a place to install trial versions of the paid apps, very frustrating. After a while, there were no more good free apps anymore.
    d) that damn Camera Roll thing was a pain in the a$$
    e) Couldn't run apps in the background... but you could listen to iPod while doing other things.... but you couldn't listen to Pandora Radio and browse at the same time.
    f) how could a phone like this not support Flash?
    g) the fact that I cant change my own battery.
    h) the fact that the only ringtones that could be changed were for phone calls and sms msgs. All other tones were not configurable
    i) the fact that there were so litte settings that I could adjust. Hitting "O" on the BB home screen makes me "O" every time I see ALL THOSE settings I can change.
    j) No video camera??? wtf?
    k) When 2.0 first came out, suddenly the iPhone couldn't sync with Outlook. That was REALLY frustrating.
    l) The email manager was always really bad.
    m) no way to change themes unless jailbroken.

Now, alot of this could be done if you jailbroke the phone, but c'mon!! I have to be a hacker to exploit features that the iPhone shoulda had in the first place? And then when jailbroken, I couldn't update my phone right away because each update broke jailbreak. MAN!

Now, what do I miss? the great touchscreen and Shazam. That's it.

When it really boiled down to it... alot of the App Store stuff I really didn't use anyway. I had tons of apps but it was all fluff that I could show off to friends who didn't have an iPhone. The only app I bought was Hold'Em Poker for $7, but the Bold came with it preinstalled. hrmph!

Personally, I love the Bold... and what really makes me think that it's better.. is the fact that I don't have to hack the phone to change themes, it has video camera as a native app, and that I can download songs, ringtones, email attachments, and find those files. Also, I'm not tied to iTunes for music, I can manipulate files when attached to a PC ( I'm just excited that I can even browse files on my phone! ). For things like that, I think the Bold is superior.

03-17-09 09:51 PM
    I sell both. In fact, I sell about 40-50 iPhones per week. Firmware 2.2 amd 2.2.1 already crash way too often and I have customers asking for help all the time and sending phones in for service/restore/re-unlock. With "multi-tasking", I doubt the hardware (CPU) can support all of the traffic.

I'd summarize it like this - The iPhone is a great entertainment device thats also a phone. The Blackberry Bold is a great business tool that can also entertain. Each does one thing well but doesnt excel at both.

Having said that, although I make a good living selling and servicing iPhones, I use a Blacberry Bold.
    Last edited by gtessier; 03-17-09 at 11:38 PM.
    03-17-09 11:30 PM

wrong.

that was ipod touch users
    03-17-09 11:30 PM
120 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD