Hey Folks,

So if the Onyx comes with a trackball and those of us that were hoping it would come with the trackpad (guessing it'll be trackball thanks to the video/unboxing) are no longer interested in the onyx.. what is next? The touchscreen storm 2 is unappealing and I don't seen anything in the rumours section. What will everyone do? The gemini is not interesting due to edge speeds only.

this is of course a null and void topic if the onyx ends up coming out with a trackpad.
    07-03-09 06:55 PM
    There's always bigger and better devices being made. Just because the Onyx doesn't fit what you want, there's always a better one out there. Just gotta wait for it.

And there's a few devices with the trackpad being made.
    07-03-09 07:08 PM
    oh.. yeah i'm not too worried. I"ll be saving my hardware upgrade, just curious what others are planning to do that were banking on the trackpad version of the onyx.
    07-03-09 07:12 PM
    the storm 2 looks unappealing lol
    07-03-09 07:44 PM
    I thought it was "confirmed" that it would have a track pad? Regardless I love my Bold, and to have a device with everything and more in a slimmed down version. I'll be getting one.
    07-03-09 07:46 PM
    I believe the "REAL" next flagship device will be the Magnum or Pluto.

I believe its the Qwerty-Touch hybrid that will be the next big thing.

I always knew the Onyx would be little more than a Curve 8900 upgrade. Even though it says 9020, it's way to small for me.
    07-03-09 10:00 PM
    The Storm 2 would be a great upgrade. Having a trackball berry and a touch screen berry would be the best of both worlds.
    07-03-09 11:21 PM
    I hope the Magnum/Pluto or whatever lives up the hype. I can't wait for the Storm 2 to release to see how it holds up. Just imagine, having a touch screen to navigate on the browser or do things, but also having a qwerty keyboard if you don't like to touch.
    07-05-09 03:36 AM
    There's always bigger and better devices being made.

Well that's the general guess. But IMO the 9020 is just a smaller sexier Bold. It's like a 15 inch notebook vs. a 13 inch notebook with the same configeration and different release dates
    07-05-09 03:54 AM
    Well that's the general guess. But IMO the 9020 is just a smaller sexier Bold. It's like a 15 inch notebook vs. a 13 inch notebook with the same configeration and different release dates
    From what I have read, also with a (supposed) faster processor, more ram, and higher-resolution screen (same as Tour, right?).
    07-05-09 04:31 AM
    From what I have read, also with a (supposed) faster processor, more ram, and higher-resolution screen (same as Tour, right?).
    Sure.
    I just put all this in a minor category. They're nice adds but the more compelling "new" feature is imo the Design.
    07-05-09 05:41 AM
    k, I am new to this. I am looking for my first bb. I am trying to decide between the 8900 or waiting for the onyx. is the main difference 3g vs edge?
    do I need 3g? I live in the country and only have 3g on my current phone if I travel a couple hours to the city. Is 3g only used for using the internet? I don't plan on doing that except at a wi-fi spot. So.....should I wait or just pick up the 8900. I am really going to be using the phone as a conduit for my epocrates program. I currently have a ppc, but I want to have it on my phone so I only have to carry one device.
    Thanks for any help.
    07-05-09 09:42 AM
    Yes but it's not known if the processor is faster or not. Everybody thought the Tour had a better processor but it was found to be weaker than the bold's. And the camera, screen, and internal ram are the same as the curve 8900. Since the Bold has a bigger "physical" screen, you might end up thinking the screen looks better than the newer ones. See for yourself:

Do direct comparisons and I guarantee you won' be able to discern that the screens aren't the same. 480 x 320 and 480 x 360 are soooo similar you won't be able to see a change.

I don't like how the Tour and Onyx have a small black edge around the screen as opposed to the Bold and Curve which go to the edge.

I'd say it is directly an improvement on the Curve 8900 as opposed to Bold.
    07-05-09 05:34 PM
    Does anyone know what the precise architecture of the Bold and Tour's processors are?
    07-05-09 07:21 PM
    k, I am new to this. I am looking for my first bb. I am trying to decide between the 8900 or waiting for the onyx. is the main difference 3g vs edge?
    do I need 3g? I live in the country and only have 3g on my current phone if I travel a couple hours to the city. Is 3g only used for using the internet? I don't plan on doing that except at a wi-fi spot. So.....should I wait or just pick up the 8900. I am really going to be using the phone as a conduit for my epocrates program. I currently have a ppc, but I want to have it on my phone so I only have to carry one device.
    Thanks for any help.
    Given ur 3G access is hours away like mine I would go with the 8900 why wait for a 3G device in an area without 3G. I currently use Epocrates on a Bold only because it came out b4 the 8900 on AT&T but use Wi-Fi for internet cuz 3G is not available.
    07-06-09 07:18 AM
    I'll still be getting the Onyx. I was looking forward to the trackpad but am completely happy/content with the trackball.
    07-06-09 09:39 AM
    To be quite honest getting a Bold in a smaller package with a more solid battery door and (if those rumors are true) faster proc, and OS 5.0 (with threaded SMS) is sadly worth the upgrade for me. But will definitely be my last BB upgrade until RIM can get their act together and make a browser that's smartphone worthy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-09 10:08 AM
    thank god there's no track pad....that was the only reason i was not sure about getting it if it came out. Did you guys ever use a track pad??? I cant see how you would like it. Now if they were going to put an optical pad then it's a different story but track pads suck really bad. I use to have one on my Nokia E61i and I hated that thing. The ball is about 2 times faster to use and easier to get it where you want
    07-06-09 12:24 PM
    When the Onyx comes out I'm going to get myself a Bold. The minor upgrades doesn't give me enough reasons to upgrade from my 8310 and the Bold has exactly the things I need (Wifi, 3G, Qwerty). I'll save my HUP for whatever comes down the line in the next 12 months.
    07-06-09 01:15 PM
    I know... I don't know why everyone's gaga over the Onyx. Compare it with the Tour and Curve 8900 and all those awesome upgrades vanish.

We don't know if it has a better processor. Crackberry only said it seemed fast. They said the same for the tour and it was found to have a slower processor than the Bold.

If you really want the "next big thing", wait for the rumored Magnum/Pluto... The touch-screen of the Storm, and the Qwerty keyboard of the Bold.
    07-09-09 04:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD