I loved viigo back in the days. Any RSS reader on 9900 that comes close to viigo?

I need the following:

- Keyboard shortcuts to quickly bounce through many different RSS feeds.
    - Overview of the news (keyboard shortcut to see the whole news article)
    - Battery Efficient

Appreciate any suggestions!
    11-02-11 09:24 PM
    BerryReader is pretty nice.
    data77 likes this.
    11-02-11 10:47 PM
    Social Feeds, which is part of the BB OS, has an RSS reader in it
    mud314, allsportsfan and data77 like this.
    11-02-11 11:13 PM
    Social feeds does everything you want.

1) scroll left/right when within RSS section to access various feeds
    2) the RSS section will launch in an "all" pane - gives a good overview of your headlines
    3) standard

You can also try BlackBerry News from appworld. I think that's as close to Viigo as you can get from an app developed by RIM.
    data77 likes this.
    11-02-11 11:32 PM
    BlackBerry News. It is pretty good.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    data77 likes this.
    11-02-11 11:53 PM
    Blackberry News vs Social feeds both by RIM right?

Are they different in nature or both serve a similar purpose? I recall reading some folks were having issues (battery draining) using RSS feeds. Have you had any issues with either Blackberry news or Social feeds?
    11-03-11 12:15 AM
    I use Social Feeds. It does everything I want and I set it to only update feeds when I open the app so there's no battery usage.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-03-11 12:25 AM
    +1 for Social Feeds. Am on it non-stop!
    11-03-11 09:44 AM
    Blackberry News vs Social feeds both by RIM right?

Are they different in nature or both serve a similar purpose? I recall reading some folks were having issues (battery draining) using RSS feeds. Have you had any issues with either Blackberry news or Social feeds?
    yes both are by RIM. Social Feeds is included in the OS, and can be deleted or reinstalled through desktop manager. i personally dont use it, as i dont need BBM or FB updates there since i check each respective app separately. i set up the RSS feeds one day for fun just to see how they worked, but again, found no use for them. and as for being a battery hog, just have them refresh once every hour or less.
    data77 likes this.
    11-03-11 10:05 AM
    I miss Viigo everyday. I've been using BeryReader as a substitute & it is pretty nice. It syncs with Google Reader so it's very easy to use & does a good job. It is expensive and it has been using a lot of battery while I am using it. No battery drain when I'm not using it.

They have been having problems lately with folders not loading. Feeds load but you can't sort them by individual feeds. Bellshare has been silent on the issue which has been going on for more than a week. You can download a 7 day trial to check it out. If this issue continues I'm going to try Social Feeds & see how I like it.
    11-03-11 10:08 AM
    I like BlackBerry News. It's just a battle finding good RSS feeds that actually load the entire article for me. I don't want to open the full link on my phone for your precious clicks and hits!
    11-03-11 11:12 AM
    BB news picked up my Google Reader RSS feeds. Havent had an issue!
    11-03-11 11:35 AM
    Social feeds does everything you want.

1) scroll left/right when within RSS section to access various feeds
    2) the RSS section will launch in an "all" pane - gives a good overview of your headlines
    3) standard

You can also try BlackBerry News from appworld. I think that's as close to Viigo as you can get from an app developed by RIM.
    I know I agree with you, I love social feeds. Keeps everything in one area. And the BB News Reader is pretty awesome too.
    11-03-11 12:42 PM
    I like BlackBerry News. It's just a battle finding good RSS feeds that actually load the entire article for me. I don't want to open the full link on my phone for your precious clicks and hits!
    That is my only complaint with that app as well. Other than that it rocks.
    11-03-11 12:42 PM
    That is my only complaint with that app as well. Other than that it rocks.
    Can you elaborate? Complain with which app?
    11-03-11 12:46 PM
    I'm pretty sure he is talking about social feeds... and yeah I hate opening the link in the browser... kind of defeats the purpose of the rss. But I still love social feeds
    11-03-11 02:09 PM
    I'm pretty sure he is talking about social feeds... and yeah I hate opening the link in the browser... kind of defeats the purpose of the rss. But I still love social feeds
    Ah i see. Yeah I would hate to do that as well. How about Blackberry News. Does it open the full article in the program. If so, I am going to go with that. Thanks!!
    11-03-11 02:17 PM
    BlackBerry News. I think it's RIM's native RSS app. It conveniently pre-loads up a good number of RSS feeds, and allows you to search for others related to your interests. The problem is you'll see a headline that interests you, click it open, only to find a button that says 'Open Full Article' (or something to that effect).

It's no fun. You have to know sites that arranged their RSS to allow for full articles.

I have mine set to pull new headlines in every 12 hours so I can read during commutes, but I have moments where I slip in and out of coverage because of tunnels. It'd be great to not have reading disrupted because I can't get a signal. I end up not being able to read an article, because the rest of the info is behind the link.

EDIT: For example

Last edited by Amen; 11-03-11 at 03:12 PM.
    11-03-11 03:06 PM
    BlackBerry News. I think it's RIM's native RSS app. It conveniently pre-loads up a good number of RSS feeds, and allows you to search for others related to your interests. The problem is you'll see a headline that interests you, click it open, only to find a button that says 'Open Full Article' (or something to that effect).

It's no fun. You have to know sites that arranged their RSS to allow for full articles.

I have mine set to pull new headlines in every 12 hours so I can read during commutes, but I have moments where I slip in and out of coverage because of tunnels. It'd be great to not have reading disrupted because I can't get a signal. I end up not being able to read an article, because the rest of the info is behind the link.

EDIT: For example

Click to view quoted image
    When you view the full articles does it require the browser? I would rather not have to use the BB browser. I love the viigo interface which loads full articles within the app itself.
    11-03-11 03:33 PM
    When you view the full articles does it require the browser? I would rather not have to use the BB browser. I love the viigo interface which loads full articles within the app itself.
    Yep, it does. And I feel the same way. I'd still hate to load a new article, because it'd require a consistent signal, but I'd prefer to not start another process just to do some reading.
    11-04-11 01:45 AM
    Yep, it does. And I feel the same way. I'd still hate to load a new article, because it'd require a consistent signal, but I'd prefer to not start another process just to do some reading.

I think it's based on the rss feed. I do get full articles with pics from some of the blogs I subscribe to.
    11-04-11 08:23 AM
    Thanks for this thread! Never knew about the BlackBerry News app until now... will definitely check it out!
    11-04-11 12:16 PM
    If both social feeds and blackberry news open in the BB browser. I guess I'll go with social feeds.
    I don't think there are any glaring pros and cons that are different between blackberry news and Social feeds. I'll stick to the one that comes with the OS installed.

Hopefully it is tested out and cause no memory drains on the berry.
    11-04-11 01:46 PM
    If both social feeds and blackberry news open in the BB browser. I guess I'll go with social feeds.

I don't think there are any glaring pros and cons that are different between blackberry news and Social feeds. I'll stick to the one that comes with the OS installed.

Hopefully it is tested out and cause no memory drains on the berry.

Some people have said that they got better battery life after deleting social feeds. I'm a heavy social feeds user and have great battery life, so take for what you will.

I tend to agree with you. If there's no really reason to use bb news, I'd rather stick with the one that came with the os.
    11-04-11 05:42 PM
    Some people have said that they got better battery life after deleting social feeds. I'm a heavy social feeds user and have great battery life, so take for what you will.

I tend to agree with you. If there's no really reason to use bb news, I'd rather stick with the one that came with the os.
    Might be because it's redundant? If you hook up Twitter & FB to Social Feeds, with the Twitter and FB apps also updating, I can see that posing a problem.
    11-05-11 12:23 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD