Hey everyone,
    I remember before I upgraded to os6 i had some 90mb of memory then after installation i had only 32mb. After removing a few games and apps i never use it was still only at about 40mb. I went onto desktop manager and looked at add/remove apps and saw that i had some 20mb of language packs that I would never use like traditional chinese and afrikaans. After removing that i was up to 60mb, the phone ran smooth, and most importantly the browser was much less maintenance and it automatically detected wifi vs gsm signal and seamlessly accommodated. I think most people don't need every type of internet messenger on their phone nor every language pack. These things take up more space than they think. I have about 37mb free right now and it runs great. Every two days I run Quikpull and it usually says it went from 15mb to 37mb free. If I install apps and the rebooted memory is below 30mb then I have frequent problems and i must delete unnecessary apps etc. I wrote all this stuff for those people who are on the border of upgrading or not and what would like to hear of a practical approach to coping with os6. It's a better os but if u need many languages and large apps then os5 is just fine.
    03-06-12 03:49 PM
    I've been running 6(686? Whatever the latest on AT&T is) on my phone and my wife's 9700 for a few months now. I shrunk both with BB boss and had about 32 megs free +/-. We could deal with that much free space.

The problem is the memory leak. The phones need to be rebooted every few days. I could deal with once every week or so, but every few days is starting to be a PITA. With heavy phone use, it's daily. I listen to a bunch of podcasts, and the reboot will zap whatever podcast you have in the player.

I love OS 6 and think it works nicely on the phone, I just can't deal with the memory leaks and constant rebooting. I'm seriously looking into going back to OS5.
    03-07-12 09:28 AM
    I've been running 6(686? Whatever the latest on AT&T is) on my phone and my wife's 9700 for a few months now. I shrunk both with BB boss and had about 32 megs free +/-. We could deal with that much free space.

The problem is the memory leak. The phones need to be rebooted every few days. I could deal with once every week or so, but every few days is starting to be a PITA. With heavy phone use, it's daily. I listen to a bunch of podcasts, and the reboot will zap whatever podcast you have in the player.

I love OS 6 and think it works nicely on the phone, I just can't deal with the memory leaks and constant rebooting. I'm seriously looking into going back to OS5.
    Sounds like you didn't shrink much off, or you have alot of apps, like lots and lots and lots.. Which one is it?

There are apps that restart at set times, have you looked into those? MeterBerry for example.
    03-15-12 11:38 AM
    I had OS 6 on my 9700 for about 8 months and eventually grew tired of the sluggishness, worrying about memory and browser crashes.

I "downgraded" to 5.0.0.1014 and am very satisfied. At first I missed the flashy OS6 menus and transitions, but I found a nice theme that has the colorful OS7 icons and now I am happy. When I went to OS 5 I installed Opera as my primary browser and I don't miss the frequent browser crashes I had with the native browser on OS 6.

My plan now is to ride out my 9700 on OS 5 until I can get a nice full-QWERTY BB10 device with a form factor similar to the 9900. I love the new OS 2.0 on my Playbook and I am really optimistic about what RIM can do with it on phones.
    03-16-12 02:41 AM
    OS6 has been fine for me. I've never looked back on OS5 as universal search and webkit browser beat the out of the benefits of OS5. I start the phone with about 35mb app storage and 90 megs memory and it usually lasts about 4-5 days before I need a batt pull, which I'm fine with.

I'm on the latest OS6.xxx.723 which is going smoothly. I shrink out a huge amount of stuff, everything I can - RIM was short sighted not to have opted to do so from the beginning as it's seriously not possible to run this phone with any amount of apps without severe shrinking on OS6.
    03-16-12 03:43 AM
    This is about wifi. I do not have bis nor bes activated. I am using an unlocked tmobile unit. I recently upgraded to .723 from .448, after following the os upgrade instructions from the forum. Since I only use wifi to access the internet, I got onto my home wifi to install some apps and realize I couldn't access the internet. After checking "set up wifi network|troubleshot" I realize that I didn't get assigned an ip address. Now realize I had been surfing quite fine with .448 before and no wifi setting on wifi router had changed. So I decided to install .706 using the same os upgrade instructions on the forum and I was able to get an ipaddress and surf quite fine. Quite weird eh!? Has anyone else experienced this? I'd appreciate some help if there a fix. At no time did I manipulate the service books when I was able surf nor when I was unable to surf. Thanks in advanced. Please help. I do want to use .723 as I have heard good things.
    Last edited by donyouth; 03-17-12 at 06:31 PM.
    03-17-12 06:22 PM
    how to shrink the os?
    06-30-13 06:48 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD