I just hooked up an ancient BlackBerry I got from a friend and I've tried adding a couple apps now (e.g. Skype, WhatsApp) but they say BlackBerry isn't supported anymore and/or that my old version isn't supported.

BlackBerry Bold 9780 3G 6.0 Bundle 2921 (v6.0.0.666, Platform 6.6.0.241)

Anyone here also working with an old phone and have a list of apps that are still functioning for them?

(I basically got the phone for texting, because I like a QWERTY keyboard rather than a touchscreen, but if there are some apps that actually function then that'll be a bonus.)

P.S. Do not have an enterprise account...whatever that is.
    ANTIBERRY likes this.
    10-17-17 01:05 AM
    List require someone being interested in a platform.... just not many out there still using BBOS6 devices in 2017.

Best bet is to do some searching on each of the apps that you want.
    10-17-17 08:00 AM
    List require someone being interested in a platform.... just not many out there still using BBOS6 devices in 2017.

Best bet is to do some searching on each of the apps that you want.
    Dunt, I've never had an OS6 device. But don't the same apps work on OS6 and OS7?

Posted via CB10
    10-17-17 08:53 AM
    Honestly, I don't even know where to begin looking, really. I want suggestions because I don't have anything particular in mind; I've never had a smartphone so apps are new to me. I just looked for Skype and Whatsapp because some of my friends don't have international texting and I know Skype for PC and I've heard people talk about Whatsapp for messaging.
    10-17-17 10:40 PM
    Skype won't work. I believe Whatsapp support has also ended for OS6.

We have a list of apps that still work on OS7. Some may also work for OS6. I don't know.

Most of the listed apps are available in BlackBerry World. Some are OTA (over-the-air) apps. Links are provided in those cases.

Here's a link to the list: https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...l#post13019158

Posted via CB10
    10-17-17 10:49 PM
    Yeah, I already said that in the original post, lol.

Thanks, I'll check out that list!
    10-17-17 11:11 PM
    Kindle will work for ereading.

Signature: Still typing away on my Passport SE!
    10-17-17 11:24 PM
    Kindle will work for ereading.
    It didn't seem to work on mine...it installed, but couldn't really get past the home page.
    10-22-17 10:10 PM
    Kindle WILL work. You just have to go to your email and enter the temp code they give you. Then kindle will load up.
    10-23-17 01:54 PM
    Honestly, I don't even know where to begin looking, really. I want suggestions because I don't have anything particular in mind; I've never had a smartphone so apps are new to me. I just looked for Skype and Whatsapp because some of my friends don't have international texting and I know Skype for PC and I've heard people talk about Whatsapp for messaging.
    I feel bad saying this but you should probably hold onto the view that you STILL have not really had a smartphone. I had a several old legacy devices and loved them but apps then compared to nowadays are a completely different league.

It's like comparing MS Paint to photoshop. Except not quite because MS Paint still works but a lot of the apps that were supported on that generation of devices are now far more developed and the older versions are no longer supported / functional on those devices.

This is happening even on BB10 devices more and more. We've officially lost facebook, Whatsapp, several banking apps, Dropbox, and many many more. Not to mention the ones that never came to begin with.

You'll have to poke around in BlackBerry World and just see what you find. You'll probably find a good number of games that still work. As for messaging, the Google Talk app might work if you have contacts that use hangouts, I believe that this can still be used for basic messaging to them.

It's really a phone that will also allow you to manage your email accounts (and somewhat quite well at that). As for additional functionality, well it's going to be quite limited.
    10-23-17 07:50 PM
    Kindle WILL work. You just have to go to your email and enter the temp code they give you. Then kindle will load up.
    Hmm...it hadn't said anything about sending a temp code, it just kept giving the loading circle and then either closed or went back to the same login screen. I'll have to try it again later.
    10-23-17 10:29 PM
    I feel bad saying this but you should probably hold onto the view that you STILL have not really had a smartphone.
    Hahahahaha, don't be. I'm not bothered.

I found a car racing game that I was rather impressed with running on a phone, haha. Has a real 90s game vibe to it.
    I'd check out GTalk/Hangouts, but I don't think anyone I know uses it anyway.
    10-23-17 10:34 PM
    Hmm...it hadn't said anything about sending a temp code, it just kept giving the loading circle and then either closed or went back to the same login screen. I'll have to try it again later.
    No, it doesn't mention any code. I suggest you google "kindle for 9900." There is a nice page that outlines step by step how to get kindle working on legacy blackberry. I used it to activate kindle.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900!
    10-23-17 11:59 PM
    Does anyone know if i can get instagram working on my bold 9780?
    10-25-17 02:47 PM
    Does anyone know if i can get instagram working on my bold 9780?
    I doubt it. There was an app called 'Client for Instagram' by the Jared Company, but it seems that it was pulled from BlackBerry App World over a year ago. Even after the app was pulled, it continued to work for those who had it installed already. But new users couldn't get it, and no one has ever made an OTA available.

I would post an OTA if I had the files, but I don't.

Posted via CB10
    Bjarne Daenen likes this.
    10-25-17 11:51 PM
    So, I have a Curve 9300 I recently purchased for fun. It uses Os6 (I was surprised, I guess someone down the line upgraded the OS for me from 5), and Kindle works fine on it.

I read somewhere that if you change the date to 2006 or something, you can fool WhatsApp into installing and working, after which you can switch the time back to the right time. I don't use WhatsApp, so I can't say if this would work.
    11-09-17 03:04 PM